Legality of Posting Pictures on a Bulletin Board

Is it illegal to post pictures from media internet sources on bulletin boards? Getting some grief about this issue.

If a credit link is supplied shouldn’t it be alright? Afterall the websites can chose to allow or not allow you to link to their pictures.

If you copy a picture from a website to your website, and inline/link to the copy, that’s naughty. If you link to the image on the original website, That might be ok, I don’t think you actually copied anything. These images are posted on the internet for all to see. Google has links to images too…
If they ask you remove it, maybe you could replace it with a link to the page the image is on, that’s perfectly acceptable, but some companies have even tried to sue people for deep-linking. If they really objected to it, there are technical ways to stop people linking, like Geocities or Tripod do.
Adding a credit like Bassman said might appease them, but they still might have the right to ask for it to be removed.
I tried looking at some website’s legal pages, but even if they say “You can’t link to us” it doesn’t mean it’s illegal.
What sort of grief are you being given ?

myplanview.com/expert100.asp

Myth: There’s no difference between linking to information and copying it on your Web site.

Truth: Copying information without permission is a copyright violation. Linking, on the other hand, is not. (Caveat: the jury’s still out on the advisability of linking to other sites.)

Hot linking, like this, is frowned upon because it uses bandwidth. But it’s too much fun to stop.

[quote]Google has links to images too…
[/quote]

They also have thumbnails of the images. Why would a full picture be illegal, but a thumbnail not?

Brian

I don’t know if these articles have been amended, but I believe that they might apply - especially Article 55…

[color=red]Taiwan’s Copyright Law states:

Article 52

Within a reasonable scope, works that have been publicly released may be quoted where necessary for reports, comment, teaching, research or other legitimate purposes.

Article 55

The work of another person that has been publicly released may be publicly recited, publicly broadcast, publicly presented, or publicly performed in the course of an activity of non-profit nature, in which no fee is directly or indirectly collected from the viewers or listeners, and no compensation is given to the performers.[/color]

Internet laws aren’t firm in the world anyway, especially here.

Forget the laws. If someone specifically requests you NOT to link or copy something of theirs (copyright or not), you should have the common courtesy to comply to their wishes. There is no argument for that.

I think that the gist of some of the above postings is that the legal situation (including rights and responsibilities of all parties involved) of COPYING or HOT-LINKING pictures in a phpBB system, or other Bulletin Board system, is not yet fully defined in the international community, hence . . . . . . .

. . . . and I realize that this may sound a little bit strong-armed . . . . . nevertheless there may be some value in amending our user’s guidelines to the effect that due to this lack of clarity in the international legal code, the administrators at forumosa.com at the present time do, and will continue to, operate this website in a way which they feel is fully reasonable, moral, legal, proper, and fitting. If the user has objections to the content of this website, he/she is requested to stop visiting forumosa.com and stop complaining. Otherwise, a full description of objectionable content and reasons for objections may be posted in the FLAME FORUM.

[quote=“Hartzell”]

. . . . and I realize that this may sound a little bit strong-armed . . . . . nevertheless there may be some value in amending our user’s guidelines to the effect that due to this lack of clarity in the international legal code, the administrators at forumosa.com at the present time do, and will continue to, operate this website in a way which they feel is fully reasonable, moral, legal, proper, and fitting. If the user has objections to the content of this website, he/she is requested to stop visiting forumosa.com and stop complaining. Otherwise, a full description of objectionable content and reasons for objections may be posted in the FLAME FORUM.[/quote]

What are you on about now?

333 export . . . . . . . . it is a Vietnamese brand.

The person who was objecting to his photo appearing on Forumosa contacted me in my capacity as moderator and asked me to please remove his picture from the site. I could think of no good reason to deny his request.

I could. :?