Legalize marijuana, but not so I can smoke it

Just saying the opposite is a nice re-buttal? Hardly.

I fail to see the point of legalizing something just because there are other things that are cheaper and more addictive already on the market. I fail to see how equating pot with TV or coffee or marriage are good rebuttals.

Pot is a drug, addiction or not. it is a narcotic that people take to become counter-productive. It is one of life’s more unnecessary things. And just cos a bunch of addicts want it legal is no argument at all. They don’t know what they want cos they are addicted to pot. Or to getting high, or whatever it is. Take away the pot and they will get high on something else.

Legalizing pot is a move to allow people more freedom to destroy their lives. Why bother with school, if life is all about doing what you want all the time?[/quote]

That’s it. You are an official buzz-kill. Stop biting my hand, you ingrate. And get the hell outta my kitchen.

Quite simply, it is assinine to keep something so popular illegal. Just in Canada alone, revenues garnered from taxing the sweet stuff would replace the GST, PST and income tax. And that’s just from The Resort Municipality of Whistler. Man, tax the hell outta it for 5 years and we could buy America for our own.

Now, where did my pipe go…TomHill, are you bogarting the stash again?

I didn’t say lets stop smoking it. I said let’s keep it illegal.
Downsides to it being illegal: 1) Getting caught with it. 2) ALL dealers are selfish prigs who don’t understand the complex needs of a pot head.

Please don’t throw me out of the kitchen over this!

Well, that depends. What can you do that my new badger can’t?

YOU won the badger? Im going to check the results.

I can adapt screenplays to the stage, with poor results. Can the badger do that?

YOU won the badger? Im going to check the results.

I can adapt screenplays to the stage, with poor results. Can the badger do that?[/quote]

That and in iambic pentameter. Can TomHill do iambic pentameter?

Potheads are kickable spazzes. What a shitey lardy boring geriatric drug. Let’s all make tomorrow ‘Kick A Pothead in the Nads Day’

And iambic pentameter is for gurls.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Potheads are kickable spazzes. What a shitey lardy boring geriatric drug. Let’s all make tomorrow ‘Kick A Pothead in the Nads Day’

And iambic pentameter is for gurls.[/quote]

Good luck finding one. They are always in bed until 2p.m.

Just saying the opposite is a nice re-buttal? Hardly.[/quote]
Most assuredly, when most of your gibberish is so datedly out the window.

[quote]I fail to see the point of legalizing something just because there are other things that are cheaper and more addictive already on the market. I fail to see how equating pot with TV or coffee or marriage are good rebuttals.

Pot is a drug, addiction or not. it is a narcotic that people take to become counter-productive. It is one of life’s more unnecessary things. And just cos a bunch of addicts want it legal is no argument at all. They don’t know what they want cos they are addicted to pot. Or to getting high, or whatever it is. Take away the pot and they will get high on something else.

Legalizing pot is a move to allow people more freedom to destroy their lives. Why bother with school, if life is all about doing what you want all the time?[/quote]

Pot is a drug, and as such should be subject to any and all aspects of taxation. Sugar, bread, beer, meat, salt, coffee: all these commodtities , and many more, have been taxed by various authorities all down the line.
Why? Namely because of supply & demand.
Morality is naught but a flimsy attempt at self-justification.
Namely: A perverse & Immoral Act.

Five More For the Road, BarKeep.
If you please.

Fuck smoking it, I want to cook it and eat it. :cookie: If it’s legal, taxed, and regulated, there’ll be a lot less paranoia on those lost brownie Sunday afternoons.

Just saying the opposite is a nice re-buttal? Hardly.[/quote]
Most assuredly, when most of your gibberish is so datedly out the window.

[quote]I fail to see the point of legalizing something just because there are other things that are cheaper and more addictive already on the market. I fail to see how equating pot with TV or coffee or marriage are good rebuttals.

Pot is a drug, and as such should be subject to any and all aspects of taxation. Sugar, bread, beer, meat, salt, coffee: all these commodtities , and many more, have been taxed by various authorities all down the line.
Why? Namely because of supply & demand.
Morality is naught but a flimsy attempt at self-justification.
Namely: A perverse & Immoral Act.

Five More For the Road, BarKeep.
If you please.[/quote]

How are my opinions gibberish? Please explain how my observations, as a pot user of some 16 years are gibberish?

Pot is an addictive drug. That’s why it is a bad idea to legalize it.

Would it make a difference to know that if it was legal, there would be less pot addicts out there, Tom? The fact that it’s illegal is a big appeal to young reckless teenagers. Take the thrill of doing something bad and illegal out of it, and less kids will find it appealing. At least, that’s what statistics in Holland have to say about this.

Then, as mentioned, there’s your tax dollars not being wasted fighting against pot smokers/growers/traffickers. The gov would make money instead of spending your money.

And of course, the stuff would end up being of higher quality; organically grown and all that, better for your health. Better than smoking the chemical fertilizers most underground producers tend to use to maximize their illicit profits. Mind me, being in the UK, you should be able to find the high quality Morocco hash… :wink:

Looking forward to my trip home over Chinese New Year to Canada. I know it’s winter, but it’s going to be green. :sunglasses: :canada: :runaway:

(Ya, I know, it’s not Amsterdam, but it’ll more than do…)

Edit: Not that I would inhale though.

Ok, legalize and tax it. Then, throw everybody who thinks he or she does everything just as well stoned as sober (like parenting, operating vehicles and other machinery, maintaining relationships, cooking good meals, having interesting conversations, doing a good job at work, and many other day to day things where people supposedly depend on you) into the 5th bolga of hell for half an eternity.

Gateway drug or whatever, I agree with legalizing it’s ownership and use to some extent. However, keep it away from kids, parents, public places, the workplace, and other places where I want to go and not be annoyed by potheads. I think it would be a great legal club drug (like the amsterdam cafes) and ok for use by people in certain categories in certain places, but like all the legal stuff we have now, if people can’t be responsible with the usage of it, then they need to quit. Not have it around. Have the choice to not be where it is.

I don’t drink anymore, so I don’t have any business going to a bar, unless I want to experience all the other wonderful things about bars. I don’t smoke dope, so I wouldn’t like to be dealing with a stoned bank teller, mcEmployee or doorman, either.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, define legal. My buddies back home would light up wherever they felt like it, as if it was legal. It was annoying.

I think for once I kinda agree with TomHill in principle…

Drawing on what Bobepine and Canucktyuktuk (it’s ok to agree with me, i’m not that far out there am I?) have said…

Maybe legalization would reduce the number of users, but how could one tell?
Being stoned has no hang-over effects. And it impossible to test someone for pot useage instantly. There is the test where you ask someone to follow your finger as it moves and a stoners eyes will drop involuntarily, but thats all.
One can perform a myriad of tasks whilst stoned, but is this a good thing? I couldn’t go to work on a mushroom, or on 5 pints of Stella, but I could certainly turn up and perform on a fistful of doobie snacks.

Is legalizing it really going to be favorable to the smokers? I don’t think so. The government will tax it and then it will end up costing more than it already does.

But think about total legalization. How can the government tax you if you’re growing it yourself? Would this be against the law?

So, how can the government tax you if you’re growing your own? How can the government fully get their hands on it? They can’t unless they make it illegal.

Huh? Did what I just say make any sense?

Most of them did for a period of time, even had their own mayor…

[quote=“TomHill”]
Maybe legalization would reduce the number of users, but how could one tell?[/quote] Thru statistics. The US is able to tell the reduction of smokers by ave of sales.

Urine tests but keep in mind that a lot of drugs are out of the system in 7 days or so.Unless you are a habitual user So, then you would have to get into the random test thing, which for some, irks the hell out of them because it can be seen as a violation of your 4th and 5th admendment rights.

[quote]
There is the test where you ask someone to follow your finger as it moves and a stoners eyes will drop involuntarily, but thats all. [/quote] This could happen if you’re on cold medicine. :unamused:

[quote]
One can perform a myriad of tasks whilst stoned, but is this a good thing? .[/quote]Really? Most people I know, only want to do 3 things with sleep being the primary one. :smiley:

THC and its unique metabolites stays in the system sometimes as long as 30 days.

There are tests commonly used that detect THC in the system. FDA approved for LEO use. These are widely used and evidence accepted in courts of law.
securityprousa.com/drteki.html

Aninterestinf discussion on 'Does marijuana weaken the immune system?"

Because a large part of the cost of pot is the barriers to entry to the pot market. If large multinationals, with their gigantic economies of scale, were able to legally grow pot, I don’t see any reason why the cost of harvesting marijuana would be significantly higher than the cost of harvesting tobacco.

No, no more than you don’t have to pay any tax if you brew your own beer. I mean, you could also tax the supplies if you really wanted to. But if pot were decriminalized, growing your own (like brewing your own beer) would probably be left to the hobbyists with obscure preferences.

Who thinks auto-erotic asphyxiation should be illegal?

On the “gateway drug” argument, it’s very likely that rather than pot leading to other drugs, it’s a case of certain types of people being more attracted to both. So what we really need is for science to figure out some way of aborting those people in the womb.