Legally install a copy of Windows XP

OK, so my really smart brother-in-law has a pretty nice laptop, which he has run into the ground with spyware, and it’s really not worth trying to sort the thing out manually.

He has told me that there is nothing he needs to back up on the laptop at all, so I’m just going to format and re-install Windows.

So anyway, I asked him for the rescue disk, which included the OS (LEGAL version of XP), but of course he can’t find it. The laptop has the COA, btw.

So my question is, if I install Windows XP from another disk, and use his product key, will it pass the authenticity test? (I realise that ratlung posted a workaround for this recently (here: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=48160 ), but my brother-in-law would never be able to do that. I need to set up automatic updates.)

Thanks, techie fans!

It will pass the autheticity test. It will call microsoft and microsoft will know it’s the exact same computer and serial number, so no problems there.
Don’t know if the serial number will work with another copy of XP, should be ok if it’s the exact same version (ie, both not OEM)I guess.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]It will pass the autheticity test. It will call microsoft and microsoft will know it’s the exact same computer and serial number, so no problems there.
Don’t know if the serial number will work with another copy of XP, should be ok if it’s the exact same version (ie, both not OEM)I guess.[/quote]

Hmmm… well I guess his original one will have been the Acer bundled disk, which is more of a rescue disk. The one I use will most probably be a standard full version (OEM). Or maybe not OEM…

His was Home Edition, btw, so I’ll definitely make sure to install that.

Yes, maybe!

It’s almost certain that the license key your BiL has is for the OEM version and the key ‘may’ be rejected if you try to install from a retail or upgrade CD. This is an problem with Windows install not the key.

It’s worth pointing out that many notebooks now come with a recovery image stored on a hidden partition on the hard disk. Check during bootup for messages such as “Press F2 to access recovery options” or similar. If the notebook is configured in this way you’ll be able to reset the machine without the need for a Windows CD. This also has the benefit that any additional software that came with the system will also be restored, and the correct drivers (all be it possibly not the latest) too.

If you can’t see the recovery option during boot, it may be initiated from a program in Windows, or you may be able to get a recovery disk from the manufacturer’s webpage or from tech support.

What make is the notebook and how old is it?

[quote=“Rik”]Yes, maybe!

It’s almost certain that the license key your BiL has is for the OEM version and the key ‘may’ be rejected if you try to install from a retail or upgrade CD. This is an problem with Windows install not the key.

It’s worth pointing out that many notebooks now come with a recovery image stored on a hidden partition on the hard disk. Check during bootup for messages such as “Press F2 to access recovery options” or similar. If the notebook is configured in this way you’ll be able to reset the machine without the need for a Windows CD. This also has the benefit that any additional software that came with the system will also be restored, and the correct drivers (all be it possibly not the latest) too.

If you can’t see the recovery option during boot, it may be initiated from a program in Windows, or you may be able to get a recovery disk from the manufacturer’s webpage or from tech support.

What make is the notebook and how old is it?[/quote]

Nice, Rik! I’ll look for that option tonight. I can’t remember the exact model so I’ll have to get back to you on that. I’d guess the laptop’s two or maybe 3 years old. You really think I can find a rescue disk at Acer support? I would think offering such a disk (which would include Windows XP surely) would be out of the question.

For Acer try pressing Alt + F10 during bootup or look for the program eRecovery Management under Windows.

Thanks man. Will do.

Microsoft has no problems with these types of discs because either the install routine on the CD is configured so that they would only ever install on a specific range of machines, or the disc actually contains little more than a simple partition copying utility (the Windows data is taken from the hidden partition I mentioned) and again only works on certain machines.

Either way Microsoft isn’t really bothered about copies being made of the Windows install CDs anyway. They assess right to use the software upon whether or not you have a valid license key, not whether you have possession of the install CD.

The main Acer service center in Taipei is on Zhongxiao East Road right at the intersection with Bade Road, very near the main Guanghua computer shopping district. As the laptop is 2-3 years old it is probably out of warranty, but they may be able to hook you up with recovery disks. It’s worth asking.

The other option you have is using one of those corporate keys that have leaked out and can be found online. I don’t believe it is illegal, since it would be illegal for M$ to force you to do product activation/registration. As long as you have a valid license for each XP installation you should be fine. But I am not sure if those keys work only for XP Pro and not for the Home version.

The corp keys out there have for the most part been disabled and will not pass the Windows Genuine Advantage anymore. I don’t see how the windows activation is illegal though. It certainly is a violation of the license to do what you suggest, and so far I’ve not read of any successful legal challenge against windows activation. And corp keys will only work on corp versions of XP Pro. Retail and OEM versions will not accept those keys.

The corp keys out there have for the most part been disabled and will not pass the Windows Genuine Advantage anymore. [/quote]

Hmmmmm…

Yep.

[color=grey]Removed by moderator.[/color]

:whistle:

[quote=“jlick”]
The corp keys out there have for the most part been disabled and will not pass the Windows Genuine Advantage anymore. I don’t see how the windows activation is illegal though. It certainly is a violation of the license to do what you suggest, and so far I’ve not read of any successful legal challenge against windows activation. And corp keys will only work on corp versions of XP Pro. Retail and OEM versions will not accept those keys.[/quote]

I know, nobody has yet challenged this policy, and on the other hand, M$ has never challanged the refusal of activation/registration either. And they know why. There is no other product on this planet that has a required registration clause such as XP or some other software products before you can use it. Who would think even twice to register before putting on their new watch? :loco: :loco: So I doubt that this would withstand any legal challange, at least at the moment. Unfortunately, it seems to become more and more acceptable among customers to ask for registration. Oh, and i cannot speak for all countries here, but at home, any license agreement that is not covered by the law can be neglected. I just think this is another case where a big company wants to force its way on the poor consumers.

It might be true that the keys don’t work on Home versions, but I know they work on retail PRO versions. Maybe it was not a corp key, but from one of those key generators.

Windows Genuine Advantage can also be worked around.

And how long will those corp keys still continue to work? I got tired of playing those games and went back to putting up with the hassles of having to reactivate if I upgrade my parts too often. It turns out to be less of a hassle than changing keys.

Oh, and if your key has been marked as corrupt or leaked, M$ themself show you how to change it to a new one.

support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328874

So they cannot be that serious about their key policy either.

There is software out there that does it for you. Typically you only have to change it with each newly released service pack.

MS Expands Anti-Piracy Program

It’s reportedly out only in certain countries now, but basically the idea is that after the update installs you will get nagged constantly that you are running a pirated copy of Windows.

The WGA Notifications is currently rolling out in US, UK, Australia, New Zealand and Malaysia. It’s currently scheduled to roll out in Taiwan next February. It will also be built in to Windows Vista.

[quote=“ratlung”]Oh, and if your key has been marked as corrupt or leaked, M$ themself show you how to change it to a new one.

support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328874

So they cannot be that serious about their key policy either.[/quote]

That didn’t work for me. That registry entry doesn’t even exist on my computer. When I tried to install SP1 (Network install), it failed half-way through, saying that I had a pirated copy of Windows. Actually, I had to use its serial number to get through the initial installation, but I would like to change to the serial number printed on the COA.

Any ideas?