Legislator calls for tobacco tax cut, citing public outcry

yikes!
What the fuck!

So, we have to have hospitals with ghost tours and beef noodle shops to make up lost revenue. Why can’t we use tax Chang kai-shekels (money) from the sale of cancer causing cigarettes to help prop up the NHI? Is smoking one of life’s most important pleasures and if the government is going to increase a tax on cigarettes it will basically be tiananmen 2.0?

According to Ministry of Finance data, the law amendment allowed the tobacco tax to be raised from NT$590 per 1,000 cigarettes (per kilogram) to NT$1,590, which added an extra NT$20 to the price of a packet of 20 cigarettes.

Hsu said that while he does not encourage smoking, he recognizes that it is one of life’s pleasures for some people. The tobacco tax goes toward the nation’s long-term care of senior citizens, but smokers should not be the ones to fund that, he said.

Why throw good money after bad? Fix the waste in the system and it will fund itself.

1 Like

I agree with you, but I think the government should tax things are are objectively bad for your health and use that money for some type of health care thinggy.

1 Like

Well, he’s technically right, since smokers often don’t get to be senior citizens.

3 Likes

This is way too complicated. It’s much easier to just not include lung cancer treatment in NHI coverage.

5 Likes

I think you’ve just solved Taiwan’s NHI financial crisis.

1 Like

Good call. Now where’s my cut?

Not particularly fair on the non smoking population who are unfortunate to have lung cancer. NHI treatment for lung cancer is far from comprehensive anyway, one you would definitely want private health insurance for.

I’m driving in heavy traffic on my way to the city

I apologize for the shitty quality of this check. The bank should still be able to cash it for you though.

3 Likes

Nice. That should keep me in booze and smokes for a good while!

1 Like

86% of Taiwanese men with lung cancer are smokers, while only 10% of Taiwanese women with lung cancer are smokers. What’s causing lung cancer in Taiwanese women?

Pic unrelated image

1 Like

Have you tried Omar whiskey? I didn’t even know the TTLC made whiskey.

No, but I assume it’s halal.

2 Likes

the origin of OMAR is amber in Gaelic language. Nantou distillery is surrounded by tall mountains with pure beautiful water, the area is suitable for whisky making and aging. Therefore, Nantou distillery is established. We insist on ok non-chill filtration and without caramel coloring. Present the taste of local terroir and natural golden oder and color.

好喝啊!

1 Like

Not a smoker myself but I’m not a fan of government trying to raise so called sin taxes. Singapore is a great example, try to get a bottle of alcohol and it will literally cost you a kidney. Prices there are ridiculous as the government feels it will discourage drinking due to high costs. Government should butt out of people’s business. You want to get lung cancer go for it.

1 Like

I don’t always drink whisky, but when I do, I prefer “natural golden oder.”

2 Likes

But it will save your kidneys :joy:

But these same people will cry and bitch about how 媽媽 and 爸爸 government aren’t doing anything to help protect them from the evil bad man lung cancer. I don’t see a problem with the government taxing things that are objectively bad for you and using the money for healthcare.

If I want to shoot meth into my toes should I be able to get a free kidney replacement on the NHI as easily as someone who doesn’t willingly destroy their body?

What I’m saying is, the government needs to legalize crystal meth and tax it for extra NHI revenue.

1 Like

Theory is way food is cooked with oils burning at high temperature and small kitchen space.

:thinking: hmmm
Thats concerning…

What about deep fryer fumes? Is it just high temperature pan frying kinda stuff?