Legislator Karen Yu on the importance of welcoming foreign talent

BECAUSE THERE’S NO CONSUMER DEMAND.

By the way, get a room.

Absolutely true
No companies in my prior field have foreigners working there. (Insurance)
I’ve asked around in prior years and will try again next week but I already know the answer.
We are not international firms and therefore don’t need foreigners.

Which is not really true but for international needs they hire returning Taiwanese as you say or people who majored in English, whether they are actually any good or not doesn’t matter.
They have no interest in bumbling around applying for a work permit and then have to pay more than a local

what the eff does that mean?

No consumer demand? What, you think people like reading marketing docs written in Chinglish? You think it helps move product?

Since everyone here knows times are right in Taiwan right now, why we people demanding more pay?

Someone translate into non-american for me.

I think you may be under a misapprehension as to what “get a room” actually means. Who shall I get a room with?

Whoever wants to your erotic outbursts in every other post.

Delete

The salaries in TW are not that bad once you reach the levels where most/many foreigners in HK/SG work. It is just that there are so much fever positions in TW compared to HK/SG.

I have friends who worked in the financial sector and accounting in TW prior to moving to HK, and they more or less made the same in TW as they do in HK after factoring cost of housing.

Quick google also kind of says the same, if you manage to land a job at one of the bigger financial institutions here in the capital markets divison you will be making pretty good money.

Why are you reducing the advantage of hiring foreigners to English language?

I can only speak for the education sector, but the majority of foreign English teachers (FETs) now known as maybe English speaking teachers (NESTs) that have been recruited by our Ministry of Education (MOE) are not suitable. 1) Few of them have more than a teaching license, which is easy to get. 2) Few of them have TESOL training. 3) Most are new graduates with no experience. 4) Many are arrogant and view co-teachers (local teachers) as servants, even treating principals with disdain (UNHEARD OF in TW). 5) They don’t understand the language, lifestyle, or culture (local teachers jump through hoops and are the top of the top and put in hours and hours).

So, foreign talent… We need to stop relying on outsiders and invest in LOCAL TALENT. I train local teachers and want them to have jobs. Foreigners in national primary and secondary schools make twice the wage of local teachers and are usually paired with local teachers. This means every “foreign talent” in education takes away the budget for two local ETs, who could possibly work at small, remote, rural schools.

Rant over… Hope other sectors are dealing with this issue better!

If they can get real jobs, why would they be teaching English abroad?

Sorry, it’s my only area of expertise (well that and pinball).

:popcorn:

Quick question and an honest one. Being as the majority of posters on this site are English teachers (I’m not), why are you posting here? I don’t deny that there are a lot of dodgy teachers out there but there are also some very good ones.

“We need to stop relying on outsiders and invest in LOCAL TALENT.” This really would be better posted on a ptt board. You’re kind of like a snowflake liberal posting on a Neo-Nazi board with that opinion (or vice versa). And I’m not being antagonistic, I’m genuinely curious at to your motivation for telling a bunch of English teachers that they’re ignorant and unqualified.

2 Likes

I can definitely see all that ‘local talent’ you’re referring to. /s

A student came in yesterday to my class asking for help to prepare for a senior high school English test. Her teacher’s demand for the test? Memorize an entire chapter of vocabulary. The teacher didn’t explain any of the meanings or how to use any of it, just memorize it.

And some of the coteachers need to be put in place as they feel their old school techniques of grammar and vocab cramming are actually useful, and then get upset if you try to use a different method.

And if jump through hoops you mean management bootlicking, you’re right as well. And by ‘put in hours and hours’ you mean hours of unpaid time for the school, no wonder foreigners refuse to do that. It’s the modern day form of slavery.

You are misunderstanding. he is not putting down local well prepared talented people. The issue is that they are hiring locals based on how cheap they are, not how capable. Degrees do not tell a story as they can be bought, but the bottom line rules. We have faced thsi problem in the translation sector for a while, it is rampant in sales, technical, engineering, etc. Expensive foreigners that have specific tasks that require above teh board language skills asid efrom technical skills are being replaced by unqualified locals. I am not being prejudiced when I say most of these hirings are cronysm. When we get a text that looks Google translate but is more gibberish, we know it was done by someone who actually paid for a degree in WakaWaka University in South Dakota or other similar culture hub, but spent their time huddled in the dorm or talking to other Mandarin speakers. The few that actually have language skills for the job…are not in Taiwan.

Singapore has held their Chinese majority constant at 75% their entire history

Yes, I get that. And I’m not saying this isn’t an issue.
My point is that foreigners bring more value than just English language (or any other language for that matter), which seemed what @the_bear was reducing it to.
And I agree with @OysterOmelet, when he says that “Taiwanese businessmen would hire foreigners, if they could afford it”

1 Like

Gee, thanks for sharing. Any other random factoids you wish to share with us?

1 Like

I don’t know how to quote, but I’m responding to the question re why I post here given my comment on foreign English teachers. To be perfectly clear, I’m referring to the small majority who are hired by the MOE to teach in national primary schools (not private or cram schools or kindergartens) and are paid double the wage local teachers receive. The point is that I’m a teacher trainer at a university, training students to teach English properly and effectively for jobs that they could do better than a non-TESOL trained teacher (who was hired just because they have an easily obtained teacher’s certificate, with possible zero classroom experience).

More specifically, my point was regarding the recruitment of “foreign talent” when we should be spending more on fostering local talent (OUR tax dollars). I want my students to get jobs as professional national primary school English teachers, rather than be replaced by foreign teachers with fewer qualifications. However, that’s exactly what’s happening. My certified local English teacher graduates are getting jobs at gas stations or convenient stores. Does that explain why I’m a bit peeved?

As to why join the forum… Am I less one of “you” than any other poster, or less entitled to an opinion. I put myself above no-one, but care deeply for the students I pour my time and heart and energy into, in the hopes they can achieve their dreams. I needed a Ph.D. and publications to get my job. Am I replacing a local professor? No, not in terms of the fact that I offer a set of skills that are unique to my experience. That is what you might consider an emphasis on “talent” rather than “foreign.” I’ve worked every kind of gig you can imagine. That’s another part of my experience I can share with my students. I hope I’m still welcomed here, along with a diversity of opinions.