Legitimacy of Mainland-based Popular Youtube channels

There are a couple of YouTube channels, mainly cooking and traditional Chinese culture type content which I am curious about.

Both are great and I highly recommend taken at face value, there is a calmness whilst watching which I enjoy very much.

Liziqi - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoC47do520os_4DBMEFGg4A
Dianxi Xiaoge - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQG_fzADCunBTV1KwjkfAQQ

All that being said, I was under the impression that YouTube was locked down for Mainland citizens, I believe these two channels are also present on bili bili and certainly weibo too. That and mixed with the portrayal, particularly in the case of Liziqi, that she does everything herself, puts a doubt in my mind. I’m slightly skeptical that this is a Tourist-board backed endeavour, albeit a very good one, I give them that. Additionally, I don’t understand Chinese in any form, so I might be missing something.

For me, not that it really matters, I enjoy the videos for what they are, but thought it is worthy of a conversation for some other viewpoints. Perhaps I’m wrong and people in Sichuan and Yunnan really do live like this.

Any thoughts?

I have watched the first ones channel a bit as well. I am quite against CCP in all manners, but have the strongest of basic human respect for my fellow humans in china.

To be honest i find her videos relaxing. But they are not authentic.

Using this video as an example.

I do much of these jobs on the daily, for many years and just looking at her technique, clothes, the wear on her gloves and tools etc…this video is staged. not to .say it is some kind of ccp propagnda video though. Just seems she isnt really doing these jobs all day everyday. I think it is fair to say that nearly all videos on construction and agriculture are equally fake in the west and elsewhere. People can watch TLC, discovery, animal planet etc to see just how fake things have become. They are literally unwatchable to anyone that does the jobs they talk about. But as an outsider, they are entertaining.

This channel is relaxing and fun to watch. Perhaps perfectly suited to background tv in a retail outlet like a restaurant. easily a hundred times better than discovery to be fair. But it isnt authentic. the real situation in building and growing isnt romantic or pleasant 90% of the time and wouldnt sell well to city folk with 9 to 5 jobs looking to see where their things are made on tv.

3 Likes

Reality

Well she’s obviously had a ‘tall nose’ nose job, if that’s not a dead give away she’s an actor i don’t know what is.