"Legitimate" forms of violence in Taiwan?

After seeing the middle finger guy and the sexual assaulter with a Scrabble-generated name on the news I was having a chat with my wife and we ended up talking about how people react in certain situations. We started discussing about situations in which the law may or may not allow the use of violence and she wasn’t able to give me a clear answer, so I was wondering if anyone is aware of the laws concerning this topic.

I’m talking about things like self defense, or if you see someone getting assaulted and decide to intervene etc etc.

Disclaimer: this is just a curiosity, no issues so far. I’d just like to be informed because in Yilan we have plenty of alleged rivers and creeks where you can allegedly hide an alleged heavy black bag, but from last year I’m often in Taipei so it’s better to be balmy&prepared.

I seem to remember a recent case where a guy choked an armed home invader to death (not intentionally, he said). His wife and young child were at home, and he was worried for their safety. He ended up being convicted for the robber’s murder.

As I understand it, the state holds the monopoly on the use of force. Self defence measurements have to follow the principle of proportionality. So you can incapacitate a burglar but decapitation should be avoided. It seems as the taiwanese law is close to german law in this case.

2 Likes

This is a good thing otherwise heads would roll…

It’s not just German law, this is how it is in all civilised countries.

The USA is somewhat civilized. Most States there (if not all?) have a “make-my-day” law. You are allowed to kill an intruder to defend your property and your family. Granted, I don’t know the details of it, but I know there are cases where a homeowner shot and killed a would be robber and was not charged.

His whole point was that America is barbaric.

People here seem to take you beeping your horn at them as a severe personal insult ( worse than the middle finger?).

Beeped my horn on my scooter at a guy who was about to pull out of a 7-11 without looking/waiting for traffic. I hit my horn and rode around the guy, then see him in my mirror chasing me down. Passing several cars buy racing down the scooter lane (in his car) to catch up to me.

I slowed down at an upcoming red light to allow him to pull up beside me and he’s screaming at me through the passenger window yelling “你嗶我!! 你怎樣?! 怎樣?!?!”

Just shook my head and laughed.

Kinda what I was thinkin’, hence the “somewhat”.

Sometimes it’s better not to feed the trolls.

Yes, we are barbaric. Don’t break into my house in the middle of the night.

4 Likes

Just don’t try that in Taiwan. Apparently, you’re supposed to give burglars milk and cookies when they visit.

2 Likes

Gotta ask them if they’ve eaten yet, then get out the chinese tea.

3 Likes

Yeah sorry that came out a bit wrong on my side, didn’t mean to necessarily call the USA uncivilised, but the fact of the matter is that they are a bit of an outlier in this matter.

So, what I mean want in all developed/civilised countries except the USA.

I would welcome a stand-your-ground law. Both in tw and in ger

3 Likes

Better make sure it’s lactose free. Otherwise see you in court

1 Like

No worries, I was just given you shit. :stuck_out_tongue:

This seems like basic common sense to me. You break into my house and endanger my family’s lives, you take full responsibility for the consequences.

2 Likes

Yep. Don’t want to get shot, don’t break into my house.

Things are different in Taiwan though. If you shoot someone it’s hard to avoid killing them on occasion. I wonder what the circumstances were of the guy killing the burglar.

No one doubts your right to protect yourself and your family, but the response needs to be proportional.

Shooting a unarmed kid for taking your tv is not a proportional response, when again if you got some bamboo union guys entering with the intent of raping your wife shooting them probably would be a appropriate response.

The mere fact of someone entering your property does not mean you or your family are in danger, it depends on the circumstances