Leopard OS X

So I went out and bought Leopard last night for my macbook, had a hell of a time installing it (make sure you select “archive and install” when you’re prompted to install it on your main drive otherwise you’ll be faced with hours and hours of a blank blue screen). Not that it’s installed a la “archive and install” there is a 13GB folder with all my application etc from Tiger. Can i just delete that or will it get rid of everything???If all my documents from Tiger are now on Leopard and I delete the archive folder will they disappear from Leopard now?

Sorry can’t answer the question, but can you tell us if Leopard is worth the wait and money?

I worked on a conference recently for Apple they were giving away free copies of iLife’08. Some of the upgrades are really nice - I particularly like the iphoto events panes.

L.

I’ll wait for christmas, and buy another firewire drive for the time machine and all that. Undoubtably many consumers will have some complaints, 3rd party apps and Apple will be making some improvements by then.

It’s getting very positive reviews so far. I usually check out varous mac forums for mac-centric stuff.

it’s great and the new bells and whistles are impressive. well, to me at least. I think it’s worth the money. The installation is a headache though and many people have reported similar problems. I had to do it twice as I hadn’t selected the A&I option…

I went ahead and deleted the “archived” files and it didn’t mess anything up.
The time machine application needs a pretty big external hard drive… i have a 60GB one and it ate up 55GB of it.

Thanks for the reply Bushi. Think I’ll give it a go too; at least I know what to do when I install now.

Cheers.

L.

Instal was a breeze for me, it took 38 minutes and it looks great. A couple of issues though I was having problems with.

1. Sync is not syncing with dot mac properly, safari bookmarks and address book. So, I had to use Backup 3.0 and restore those.
  2. iChat and photobooth very poor with the video background, nothing like the video from apple website. I expect this to be fixed with the next upgrade.

I suggest to backup all your stuff and do a clean instal. Also don’t forget to choose “customize” and uncheck all the unnecessary language and printer drivers you don’t need.

All and all so far leopard is an awesome upgrade.

I saw on one of the lists of the new features available in 10.5 is a new Chinese IME. Can anyone tell me more about that? Specifically, can I type traditional Chinese with Hanyu Pinyin without having to use tones?

Is that because you had APE installed? MacFixIt repeatedly reports problems with Application Enhancer. :slight_smile: But of course, how everyone supposed to know this?

I did a normal upgrade without any problems. Software updates necessary of course. But no probs.

Is that because you had APE installed? MacFixIt repeatedly reports problems with Application Enhancer. :slight_smile: But of course, how everyone supposed to know this?

I did a normal upgrade without any problems. Software updates necessary of course. But no probs.[/quote]

Must have been. I had Cleardock installed and ya, lots of Mac forums reported installation problems if users had APE’s installed.

I don’t like the new Front Row. The desktop doesn’t zoom back like in Tiger and there is no “resume playing” option. Can’t think of why they would remove that so ppl have to fast forward through movies if they stopped mid-way. :s

I had to get a couple of Leopard licenses, so I got the family pack (NT$6,900 for five instead of $4,000 for one). This means I’ve got three extras. Anyone need a license and care to defray my costs?

you could have used the migration assistant to import all your applications and settings. too bad :smiley: thats what almost everyone does after an archive and install; it seems to work pretty well.

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can lend me their leopard installment discs for my iBook (bit embarrassing, I know!). I could install it at your place if you like or borrow the discs. In return, I can give you a nice bottle of wine or be your agony aunt and listen to anything you want to talk about for an hour (including macs!).

Hope to hear from you!

Thomas (UK)
email: tomgodber@gmail.com
tel: 0952 646 541.

I can go one better and hook you up with a legal license as well, if need be. :slight_smile:
PM me and we can work out the details.

I got my mac, and loved loved loved Leopard on there until I tried to install Avid. The all hell broke lose. Had to go back to Tiger. Now I have to wait until Avid decides to come out with a friggin update for Leopard.

:fume: :fume: :fume: