Let's get a Celta program started in Taiwan

There was nearly one a year and a half ago, but there weren’t enough trainers and anticipated interest wasn’t high enough.

Now we seem to have the right number of trainers, how many people out there would be interested in doing a CELTA course in Taipei, if it were to come about?

[color=#0000FF]Mod’s note: This thread was originally titled “Anyone interested in a Taiwan CELTA course?” The new title comes from a more recent merged thread, those posts start here[/color]

What is CELTA?

I have been waiting to use this, sorry.

cambridgeesol.org/teaching/celta.htm

How much does the course run and would I learn anything useful from it?

I’d be interesed in hearing more.

If you are serious about your teaching, then I highly recommend the CELTA. However, you will more likely than not, not receive any salary increase for having it. Nor does it replace the need for a BA to teach legally in Taiwan. I did mine in Australia in 1999 and I’m damn glad I did. If I was already in Taiwan, and already had a few years of experience under my belt, then I honestly wouldn’t even bother with it unless I planned on going to a country, island or province that would a) actually recognise it, and b) reward you for having it.

I hear those things are really expensive. It would be worth it if it was a longer course, not just one of those ridiculous weekend deals. If I did a CELTA it would be to make my life in the classroom easier, to improve my teaching style, and to make sure my students benefit from my teaching. I’ve got enough other crap to take care of getting jobs and salary.

[quote=“twonavels”]I hear those things are really expensive. It would be worth it if it was a longer course, not just one of those ridiculous weekend deals. If I did a CELTA it would be to make my life in the classroom easier, to improve my teaching style, and to make sure my students benefit from my teaching. I’ve got enough other crap to take care of getting jobs and salary.[/quote]The thing is, twonavels, Cambridge will teach you to teach their way. Starting off by eliciting the vocab and working through their methods. Another thing is the A, as in celtA, represents adults. I’m sure if you wanted, Happy Marian or Sesame Street or Hess or whoever, would have their own courses that you could do and would give you as many points and tips and likely be of equal value. If you don’t teach in your CELTA class using the CELTA points of teaching guidelines checklist, they’ll fail your arse out’ve there. CELTA is good for those who have ZERO teaching experience and haven’t hit Taiwan yet (IMO). I’ve gotten just as much out of wathing others teach as I did when I did my CELTA. However, I did it in Aus and my BA wasn’t in Adult Edu so it did give me some things should I ever consider teaching adults. Re teaching kids, confidence in the classroom was one I remember it giving me most. Again, I did mine when I had no classroom hours experience, the CELTA gave me those.

Thanks for the information, amos.
So I guess it wouldn’t benefit me then. I only like to teach either kindergarten or University lit. students.

[quote=“twonavels”]Thanks for the information, amos.
So I guess it wouldn’t benefit me then. I only like to teach either kindergarten or University lit. students.[/quote]Hey, don’t let me put you off. Do some more research and don’t just go off my opinion. I think you’ve been in Taiwan for a while now and unless you’re really having troubles in the classroom or consider yourself to be not a good educator, then don’t bother. It’ll give you structure and process, but I bet the best teacher in your school could give you just as much for $0.

It could now make a difference as new rules state that a BA isn’t necessarily required. I started another thread on this issue here: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=37058

I’ve been looking at the CELTA course and I agree with you that nothing beats a good period of real teaching experience and classroom observation. What nobody had told me until now was that CELTA is geared entirely towards adult teaching, which is of little interest to me. I did see something called the CELTA YL (young learners) extension; any idea if this is official or something tacked on dubiously?

Short answer: yes.

Are you the guy who works for the British Council BTW, or is my memory failing again?

[quote=“Hartley”]There was nearly one a year and a half ago, but there weren’t enough trainers and anticipated interest wasn’t high enough.

Now we seem to have the right number of trainers, how many people out there would be interested in doing a CELTA course in Taipei, if it were to come about?[/quote]

yes, I work for the BritishCouncil. The CELTYL (for teaching young learners) isn’t an add on, but a full course in its own right.

I can tell you now that I know several people who would like to do the CELTA course. It hasn’t been offered in Taiwan before to my knowledge and I can think of 10 + people who have had to visit other countries to do it. If the British Council are thinking of doing the course here I think they would be overrun with people wanting to take advantage of it.

Please keep me updated on a decision in that regard.

Chris

A freind and I have are already set to go to Bangkok in October to do our CELTA’s… wish I had heard about this before I paid my deposit…

Nevertheless… I plan on eventually doing the CELT-YL extension as well as the DELTA. If these were available in Taiwan then that would be utterly awesome…

I have been teaching for 5 years now and honestly there isn’t as much a CELTA can offer me as someone who is pretty fresh faced. But I have decided that language teaching is something I wish to do for a while. As such I see a vested interest in formalizing my educational background in the subject… (I already have a BSc and a Grad Dip) even if that does mean no extra monetary reward in Taiwan…

I figure if one is serious about teaching then one needs to formalise their background in it via some form of training… for me I chose CELTA (and its resultant courses) as a method of achieving just that…

Cheers!

Daryl

About doing teh CELTA in Bangkok, don’t feel disheartened - this is just a preliminary info gathering exercise, and when it happens (which I hope it will) I imagine it will be the beginning of next year at the earliest.

About the DELTA - if you’re planning on doing it by distance, (which involves a week in KL, I think, at the beginning) then I have been named a local distance tutor, so I might be able to help out there.

And no, that’s not me touting for business - DELTA local tutors don’t get paid.

Sounds good. Yes, I was planning on DELTA by distance. That would be great if there was a local distance tutor… Are you based in Taipei?

Cheers!

Daryl

Yes I am.

I am based in Taichung… but shouldn’t be TOO much of a problem…

Cheers!

Daryl

I’m interested in doing both the CELTA and CELTA-yl courses. Can we have more info on them?

ihes.com/bcn/tt/celtyl.html

there ya go!

Cheers!

Daryl