Let's list all the places that won't accept ARC

No, I just know from people being approached by the police that that’s all they wanted to see, a passport or other ID, not both-and. Also, I think if we did a poll on who carried a passport around all the time the ‘yes’ column would be empty, and no one has reported a problem with that.

Yeah, I was just wondering what’s actually on the books in terms of laws/regulations. I couldn’t even tell you where my passport is at the moment. And I never carry any form of ID on me unless I know I’m going to need it for something specific. You don’t even have to carry your license and registration with you when you’re driving now.

About 20 years ago I was sitting in a dingy internet cafe, playing bridge, and the cops came in to check everyone’s ID. When they got to me, they asked for my passport. I gave them my ARC and it wasn’t an issue.

1 Like

This sounds incredibly suspicious. I’m surprised they let you off so easily.

1 Like

TRA and HSR bookings online websites don’t accept ARC. But has anyone been asked to show id on board, or refused entry without passport?

yes, when I picked up the tickets that I reserved online I had to show my passport. but for buying at the station, no id is needed.

Immigration Act

Article 28

An alien, at the age of fourteen (14) or up, who has entered the State for a visit, residence or permanent residence, shall always carry his/her passport, Alien Resident Certificate, or Alien Permanent Resident Certificate.
National Immigration Agency or public servants under other laws and orders can demand aliens to produce the documents stated in the preceding Paragraph while performing official duties. With respect to requirements and a procedure for requests for production of certificates and production of certificates, the provisions of Chapter 2 of the Police Duties Enforcement Act shall apply mutatis mutandis.

4 Likes

Thanks. Looks like I’ve been breaking the law on a regular basis. :open_mouth:

And I’m a little insulted by the binary gender choices…

Ok. I’ve picked up the tickets on my phone itself so never needed to visit the counter.

Do they do physical documents check at the entry gates during busy times like NYE? I too wouldn’t like to carry my passport just for getting into the trains.

THSR accepts HSR bookings with ARC inputted into the passport number field.

4 Likes

I don’t think so? I think they only check id to verify that you are the person who bought the tickets. but when I actually buy the ticket at the station, I’ve never been asked to show passport or arc. and I’ve never been asked to show id on the train.

1 Like

If you were in Japan, you might get checked on a semi regular basis and not carrying ID there can get jail time. In Taiwan the only time I’ve ever been asked for ID is when I get caught once a year breaking some traffic rule ;). Otherwise nobody has ever asked me randomly for ID

I think the only reason I was asked at the internet cafe was because the place was gangster-run and they were harassing them. But I do remember back in the day having to produce ARCs to get into clubs and places like Roxy 99. I wonder if that’s changed?

1 Like

I used my ARC number to buy HSR tickets yesterday using their app. No problem at all.

3 Likes

Ikea Family Card application
https://www.ikeacard.com.tw/form_page?CTA=PC_Menu

E.SUN BANK online credit card application
https://card.esunbank.com.tw/EsunCreditweb/txnproc/preChoice?PRJCD=APYCRD0002#b

only allow Taiwanese IDs.
Old and new ARC format not allowed. No foreigners.
:sideeye:

2 Likes

I have yet to find an online credit card application that allows foreigner ID numbers. They usually force you to go to a branch.

That would seem to meet the definition of discrimination, would it not?

1 Like

That is correct, and their new payment method “MyCard” also doesn’t take the ARC format.

Most states in the US allow citizens to renew drivers license online. But non-citizens legals in many states can’t do that. Isn’t that discrimination? These kinda things are everywhere

Don’t they ask for it in nightclubs ?