Let's Talk About Food

To be fair, its quite often spray cheese

Which doesn’t really count

As cheese

1 Like
2 Likes

Yes…Some folks are very sensitive.

2 Likes

Geez, pretty high standards there! I think the selection at Trader Joe’s is pretty damn good, but maybe I’m comparing to Taiwan rather than Europe

1 Like

God I hate British beers… warm and flat

1 Like

There are stores/shop that ONLY sell Cheese in the EU so yes different. There is Cheese House chain in Taiwan that does have many choices which branches in some Department stores and Jason’s.

1 Like

Yea, I know but seem so over-priced. I assumed it was because low volume leading high waste so they need to price that in. But even at Jason’s, if I recall correctly, still lags Trader Joe’s selection

A standard small supermarket in provincial UK has better quality cheese selection than Trader Joe’s in affluent area of US major metropolis.

Now please do not take that as an affront to your wonderful country that I love visiting and enjoy most other aspects. Pizza in the UK is shit and coffee outside of big cities can be regarded as a war crime.

Cheese is by far the weakest part of the American culinary Pantheon.

Again don’t get offended by this

I :tent:ing love British beers. But each to their own

We always had craft beers, small local breweries connected to individual pubs. Some centuries old

[quote=“Malasang88, post:45, topic:201220, full:true”]Chain restaurants are disappearing all over the US in favor of locally sourced. So my guess is your experience is from chain restaurants as is mostly seen in Taiwan.

Mexican food is equally varied. In the Southwest you have New Mexican (i.e. green chile) style which is not the same as Tex-Mex or traditional mexican. Most people don’t hate it. My guess some Taiwanese have an aversion to food they consider is from a poor country.(ahem Indian) Every Taiwanese that I have met that has spent any considerable amount of time in the Southwest away from the Chinese diaspora also enjoys Mexican/Mexican American. You’ll find American cuisine all over the world. Mexican cuisine you’ll also find all over the world. Can you say the same for Taiwanese? I don’t think so.
[/quote]

You are drastically overstating the prevalence of restaurants that use locally sources foods.

As for mexican food, like ‘ethnic’ foods most places, generally not that authentic, and in many, many parts of the u.s. is often very lousy (whereas someplace like socal it’s almost always awesome even if not authentic).

I can only say that L.A. has better Taiwanese Food than Taiwan. And better Pho than Vietnam. And this is universally agreed upon by the Taiwanese and Vietnamnese that try it. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out why Taiwanese food in Taiwan isn’t as good as I hoped or expected. But after 8 years of disappointment I think it has to do with changing original recipes, use of mass distributors and short cutting cooking time here to cut costs. You even see it in the night markets, all the same eatery stands all around Taiwan. Now the original immigrants in LA kept to the original receipes from generations past and will often raise prices to keep the flavors the same.

When I grew up in Taichung there was a famous cold noodle stall in the wet market made by an ex KMT soldier, it was amazingly good and never found that special sauce mix here but in LA there is 1 place that gets it 90% right. They even prepackage it to go and the lines are always very long. It always brings me back to the early 80s of some real old flavors that may not exist anymore in Taiwan after these old cooks retire.

Same with Pork Chop rice. So disappointed here in Taipei. In regards to Taiwan Breakfast, most places in LA are just as good and some better than what Ive found here, though we dont have the breakfast sandwich type shops there. Only the real traditional TW breakfasts…

In regards to the Pho, all the special herbs and fresh veggies are available in US. I think its the abundance of cheap fresh beef that makes it better and they can really use more beef or ox tail in the broth.

Stinky Tofu, comparable. Deep friend intestines, comparable.
Oyster egg omelets are better in Taiwan because the Taiwan Oysters taste better than what we get in West Coast US. Goose Noodles, Roast goose, I can get same level in L.A. Any Cantonese food is way better in L.A. including Dim Sum

The US is such a big diverse country and one’s perception of food in the US will vary widely depending on which City or part of the US you’ve lived in. I mean in regards to things in Taipei that I can get in LA.

1. Momo Paradise
  2. Coco Chain Teas/Boba
  3. Ding Tai Fung (Since the 1990s)
  4. 85 bakery + other Taiwan bakeries
  5. Daiso
  6. A couple Beef Noodle chains from TW
  7. 626 Nightmarket
  8. Hai Di Lao (Chinese Hot Pot)
2 Likes

All good points there - except the beer. American beers are still criminally underrated, and people who don’t live here / aren’t into the beer scene don’t understand the amazing variety available.

Yea, that’s a bad comparison though. They’re just set up differently - generally restaurants in hotels, other than ultra high end, isn’t a place to go for good food in the u.s. the restaurants in the hotels exist primarily for the guests convenience, and you don’t usually see many (or any) non guests in them. You certainly wouldn’t see a mid tier hotel like the Sheraton having food like the Sheraton Taipei (at any level, from the big dining room to the Michelin starred restaurant there. Heck, you don’t generally see more than the single house restaurant, other than at resorts).

I like the American beers but are less to my taste than European beers. I enjoy beer in the US though still

Not your lite beers though, :tent: that evil shit

I think the US has changed its food/beer culture so much since the early 2000s but what one experiences depends on where they visited in the US. Like New Orleans Cajun is different from what you get in the Mid West. Most people equate American food with the Chains Apple Bees, McDonalds, Fridays, KFC because thats the corporate food that gets exported. Even food in LA has evolved so much since I left for Taiwan in 2012, even in terms of Drink stores, Coco is everywhere now along with other Chains I have yet to see 50Lan in LA so far though. Food in Taiwan hasn’t changed that much. But I do miss going to Jolibees in LA. for Filippino Fast food.

1 Like

I like trader joe’s, but their selection actually kind of sucks. No fresh meats to speak of, small produce section. What they do have tends to be decent quality though (whole foods is much, much better (although you’ll pay for it)).

Where did you visit or live in the US? That will have everything to do with your experience and perception of the US food and drinks.

Lite Beers are everywhere no ?

I just said food in America was good. Is that not enough? Do I have to read essays about how Akron Ohio is the latest foodie destination, unlike the frumpy old South of France

Yea but I haven’t drank a miller, Coors, Bud lite since 2002 nor has anyone else I know. Things have changed… Those types of beers are struggling its just not the norm anymore. And its been sold off to INBEV a South African Corp back in the mid 2000s

1 Like