Let's talk about impeachment

I think Parler is back up and running if you’re into this kind of posting. Take a walk.

1 Like

:grinning: I had a neighbour bring around her child recently, her daughters grades in math were falling and she was worried she had a learning problem.

Sat with her for 10 or 15 minutes while she did her homework, turns out the math was fine, her reasoning was fine, just was in too much of a hurry to finish the problem she mae silly mistakes along the way, common sense ones which she should have caught if she took just a couple of seconds longer.

Told the mother her daughters math was fine, just get her a notebook to do the working out (they only provided a tiny space in the workbook an the teacher had said all they want was the answer not the working out) and to double check her work each step of the way and she would be fine.

Whoa, you guys have open schools? Sounds like your country is on the ball.

Had several parties over the Chinese new year with a dozen or so people over, no one was wearing a mask.

We wear a mask on public transport though, or public buildings, most of the time.

That’s cool. Over here 450,000 people have died of Covid (40% preventable) and we still don’t have open schools yet, and everyone is waiting on vaccine distribution. Nobody can go to a party or a bar. So you can maybe understand that the gripes here arent’ first and foremost with the NYT editing staff.

Know what I’m saying?

If Parler is for people who post about crickets, just remember:

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Brains are funny. I used to play a lot of chess with a PhD classmate and he was slightly better, sometimes he got annoyed that I took my time even though he won more often than not. One night I was tired of being rushed so I downloaded a speed chess app and proceeded to whoop him every game. We never played with it again, he never rushed me again. It works for impeachments and online arguments as well, if we rush too fast we might end up hurting our own causes…

1 Like

I have family in the UK, the situation is not unique to yourself, you don’t have a monopoly on people being concerned for loved ones and frankly if it pisses you off we are 10km away, this forum is primarily aimed for people who come from another country and are living in Taiwan.

You want to talk about Coronavirus, there are several threads here, this one is about impeachment which centered around riots in the capitol building, stop trying to steer the conversation in a way you like.

Know what I am saying?

1 Like

Well, there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

A Democratic congressman and a leading civil rights group are suing Donald Trump and his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani for allegedly inciting the deadly insurrection on the US Capitol on 6 January.

In a federal lawsuit filed on Tuesday, Bennie Thompson, a Democrat and chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, and the NAACP filed the suit in a federal court in Washington DC under a Reconstruction-era law known as the Ku Klux Klan Act, according to the Associated Press .

The 1871 law was designed to protect officials from interference or violence when carrying out constitutional duties, and was cited in the lawsuit, which said Mr Trump and Mr Giuliani “carefully coordinated” a strategy to stop Congress from confirming Joe Biden’s election win on 6 January.

3 Likes

Ok, I’ll be more on topic then–you lack the first hand experience with any of these events to make the judgment calls on others perspective you are making. All you know is from the MSM you bash/quote selectively.

You are talking about my country’s politics, you should be able to back up what you say. These media attacks undermine true discussions of politics in the U.S, they are a deflection of accountability and nothing more.

Good night.

1 Like

It’s daytime in Taiwan. Just saying.

2 Likes

Indeed, time for lunch.

They are a part of.

The whole thing about an open mind is you consider all of it first, and in its proper context.

You sir, are not demonstrating an open mind. Good day to you!.

There’s a big difference between being healthy skepticism vs. slothful induction.

Enjoy your lunch, really out this time.

I find myself in the unusual position of agreeing with the top leaders in the Republican Party.

Former Senate Majority Leader McConnell sharply criticized his former ally in a speech on the Senate floor shortly after Trump was cleared in a 57-43 vote, saying the rioters had been “fed wild falsehoods by the most powerful man on Earth. Because he was angry he’d lost an election.”
“Former President Trump’s actions that preceded the riot were a disgraceful, disgraceful dereliction of duty,” added McConnell. “Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day.”

Agreed.

Former US President Donald Trump has launched a personal attack on senior Republican Mitch McConnell, calling him a “dour, sullen and unsmiling political hack”.

Agreed.

5 Likes

Part of the attack against Moscow Mitch from Orangeman had to do with the GOP running through Trump now, Lindsay Graham agreed as well.

So you have Trump being rarely honest, Graham too.

1 Like

The impeachment process and results demonstrated a lack of constitutional literacy and consistency from the party that purports to support “originalism” on both the impeachment provisions and the First Amendment.

Yet to be seen how damaging this is in the long term.
2 Likes

I’m sure you know @fumarole there are arguments for and against which is fine, they did set a precedent though. Like it or not.

What will be remembered as the dust settles is the articles of impeachment were not crafted though a process of careful deliberation and were in places factually flawed driven by a media frenzy and in no small part the pushing false stories. Glenn Greenwald writes.

As former federal prosecutor Andrew McCarthy noted, the article of impeachment itself stated that “Trump supporters ‘injured and killed law enforcement personnel.’” The House impeachment managers explicitly claimed on page 28 of [their pretrial memorandum(Read the Brief From the Impeachment Managers - The New York Times) that “the insurrectionists killed a Capitol Police officer by striking him in the head with a fire extinguisher.”

4 Likes

I’m still flummoxed by the limited scope of the charges in the articles. I have to think they weren’t really interested in obtaining a conviction and just wanted to make a political show. Alternately, they were making a full effort, and there just really was little reason that Trump should have been impeached. Or they’re just incompetent.

2 Likes

Or they realised they were dealing with a bunch of bootlickers who would grovel at Trump’s feet and acquit him if he had shot someone on Fifth Avenue.

2 Likes

Unsurprisingly, that makes no sense. He didn’t shoot someone on Fifth Avenue, so wtf are you talking about here? Once again, a response from you that is simply a mindless attack with no logical basis whatsoever.

But on January 21, the “zip-tie man’s” own prosecutors admitted none of that was true. He did not take zip-ties with him from home or carry them into the Capitol. Instead, he found them on a table, and took them to prevent their use by the police:
Eric Munchel, a pro-Trump rioter who stormed the Capitol building while holding plastic handcuffs, took the restraints from a table inside the Capitol building, prosecutors said in a court filing Wednesday.

Wow Jan 21. I hadn’t heard that. I’m not totally convinced he took them just “to prevent their use by the police”, but still. Was I just behind on this one?