Lets talk about my boss

[quote=“LagerLout”]TomHill:
“Let’s say for example that I am allowed to design the curriculum at one of the countries ‘leading’ schools.”

Hmm…perhaps curriculum design is not your forte, Tom.
Maybe you should consider another, less exacting, line of work.[/quote]

Read and think. Then reply. The work is fine. Doing someone else’s work that they get paid for isn’t fine. Knowing that I am not getting paid for it purely 'cos I am not Taiwanese isn’t fine either. Knowing that this is probably as good as it gets isn’t fine.
What part of that do you read as, “Tom can’t handle curriculum design”???

Bassman and jdsmith. Please enlighten me, via the media of PM, as to the location of mythologica.

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“LagerLout”]TomHill:
“Let’s say for example that I am allowed to design the curriculum at one of the countries ‘leading’ schools.”

Read and think. Then reply. The work is fine. Doing someone else’s work that they get paid for isn’t fine. Knowing that I am not getting paid for it purely 'cos I am not Taiwanese isn’t fine either. Knowing that this is probably as good as it gets isn’t fine.
What part of that do you read as, “Tom can’t handle curriculum design”?[/quote]
It was a rather cheap shot on a grammar point Tom. “Country’s.”
Hardly worth the typing, I’d say. :unamused: WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? You don’t proofread your posts? The SHOCK! The HORROR! You’ll never work in this town again!

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“TomHill”][quote=“LagerLout”]TomHill:

What part of that do you read as, “Tom can’t handle curriculum design”?[/quote]
It was a rather cheap shot on a grammar point Tom. “Country’s.”
Hardly worth the typing, I’d say. :unamused: WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? You don’t proofread your posts? The SHOCK! The HORROR! You’ll never work in this town again![/quote]

You fellas are reading far too much into my glib comments. Sorry for the cheap shot, Tom. You seem to be one very stressed individual at the moment.

To address the central issue of your op:
How can the work be “fine” under such circumstances? Imho, tell your boss to shove it, and then find a better job. Life’s too short to put up with that crap.

Tom, remember when you quit posting? Do you remember the reason?

There’s at least three threads you’ve started lately where you’re doing the very thing I suspect made you stop posting. Since you’ve also posted about trying to give up an addiction, are these these recent threads a result of bad moods due to trying to quit an addiction?

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]Tom, remember when you quit posting? Do you remember the reason?

There’s at least three threads you’ve started lately where you’re doing the very thing I suspect made you stop posting. Since you’ve also posted about trying to give up an addiction, are these these recent threads a result of bad moods due to trying to quit an addiction?[/quote]

I mostly quit posting before cos reading posts here was affecting my mood. I was wrong to quit. I’m not wrong to bang my drum about the crummy injustices that go on here.

Spent this afternoon at a CPR course. FIRST thing we were told, “Be careful, if you screw up you will be sued by the family.” F**K that! Some kid falls on the floor and I am trained, i’m helping out as there is no way i’m watching from the sidelines. In my belief I am guilty as all hell if I don’t help out. My morals are not in Taiwan to be put on trial. And I am tired of having them smudged and mis-interpreted. It is plain wrong to watch others suffer cos you fear the legal costs. It is plain wrong to take from others because of existing racial situations. It is just wrong. And no amount of brain-washing, or rose coloured spectacles will erase those thoughts from my mind. I was raised to be me, and I’m damn tired of being told that ‘me’ isn’t right.

Some things are wrong here.

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“Matchstick_man”]Tom, remember when you quit posting? Do you remember the reason?

There’s at least three threads you’ve started lately where you’re doing the very thing I suspect made you stop posting. Since you’ve also posted about trying to give up an addiction, are these these recent threads a result of bad moods due to trying to quit an addiction?[/quote]

I mostly quit posting before cos reading posts here was affecting my mood. I was wrong to quit. I’m not wrong to bang my drum about the crummy injustices that go on here.

Spent this afternoon at a CPR course. FIRST thing we were told, “Be careful, if you screw up you will be sued by the family.” F**K that! Some kid falls on the floor and I am trained, I’m helping out as there is no way I’m watching from the sidelines. In my belief I am guilty as all hell if I don’t help out. My morals are not in Taiwan to be put on trial. And I am tired of having them smudged and mis-interpreted. It is plain wrong to watch others suffer cos you fear the legal costs. It is plain wrong to take from others because of existing racial situations. It is just wrong. And no amount of brain-washing, or rose coloured spectacles will erase those thoughts from my mind. I was raised to be me, and I’m damn tired of being told that ‘me’ isn’t right.

Some things are wrong here.[/quote]

Who is telling you that being you isn’t right, Tom?

TomHill is OK. Take it with a grain of salt. This country is unjust in innumeral ways. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Water off a ducks’s ass. Hang in there.

peace, Tom

[quote=“TomHill”]
Spent this afternoon at a CPR course. FIRST thing we were told, “Be careful, if you screw up you will be sued by the family.”

Well, this is the same in Canada and the United States. You can be sued if you mess up doing CPR or other life saving procedures. A guy in the US was sued because he was at the scene of an accident and the car was on fire. He saved the kids first and then the mother. The mother was burned pretty badly. She sued because he saved her last. :loco: True story.

But that’s beside the point. A lot of this “Taiwan bashing” sounds like mostly generalizations. I’m sure there are lots of us who know decent bosses who treat their employees respectfully. And honestly, I can sort of understand why some bosses act the way they do. There are a lot of dead beat, lazy-ass, whiney foreigners that come here and expect to do next to no work and still get paid 10 - 20 times what the locals do.

Foreigners have no rights in Taiwan other than the right to make Ass Loads of money. Love it or leave it.

[quote=“Cyberguerrilla”][quote=“TomHill”]
Spent this afternoon at a CPR course. FIRST thing we were told, “Be careful, if you screw up you will be sued by the family.”

Well, this is the same in Canada and the United States. You can be sued if you mess up doing CPR or other life saving procedures. A guy in the US was sued because he was at the scene of an accident and the car was on fire. He saved the kids first and then the mother. The mother was burned pretty badly. She sued because he saved her last. :loco: True story.

But that’s beside the point. A lot of this “Taiwan bashing” sounds like mostly generalizations. I’m sure there are lots of us who know decent bosses who treat their employees respectfully. And honestly, I can sort of understand why some bosses act the way they do. There are a lot of dead beat, lazy-ass, whiney foreigners that come here and expect to do next to no work and still get paid 10 - 20 times what the locals do.

Foreigners have no rights in Taiwan other than the right to make Ass Loads of money. Love it or leave it.[/quote]

Got a link to the story about the woman who got burnt and sued the guy? I can only hope the judge threw her case out of court.

[quote=“Cyberguerrilla”]
Well, this is the same in Canada and the United States. You can be sued if you mess up doing CPR or other life saving procedures. A guy in the US was sued because he was at the scene of an accident and the car was on fire. He saved the kids first and then the mother. The mother was burned pretty badly. She sued because he saved her last. :loco: True story.[/quote]

I thought Canada had a “good samaritan” law where you were not able to sue people who were just trying to help you. I could be wrong but I know I heard about it somewhere a long time ago.

Cyberguerrilla
“I’m sure there are lots of us who know decent bosses who treat their employees respectfully.”

Mine is an absolute gem. :sunglasses:

Would they have thrown it out of court if he had pointed out the fact that he could have just left her in the burning car and then there would have been no court case at all?

:fume: