Let's talk about our black first family

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: [color=#BF0080]I love them!![/color] :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

I didn’t care so much about having a “black” president because I don’t think it was such a big step from having respected men like Colin Powell in Washington. I’ve mentioned many times on this forum that I really didn’t even see him as culturally back, so I didn’t really think about the race aspect at all.

However, I am smitten with the idea of a black first family. His daughters! They’re so cute! Remember the vicious attacks that were made on Chelsea Clinton and the Bush daughters? How is anyone going to do that to these two lil pumpkins! (oh sure, you can find something, but I have to say the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter have been effectively muzzled.) Calling them “ugly”, as Limbaugh did to Chelsea Clinton, is only going to come back and slap them in the face. I hope they dare. It will be the death of them.

And Michelle, Michelle, Michelle, Michelle! Her charm, her grace! The way she is simply herself, without any need to make herself into one of the charactertures that black women get pigeonholed into in Hollywood (sassy comebacks, Monique, etc.) How is Hollywood not going to put black actresses into roles besides ones that were written specifically for black heroines after four years of watching Michelle travel the world acting only like her intelligent worldly sweet self.

If this sounds glowy, it’s because I have utterly fallen in love with our first family in a way I never have before in my lifetime. I am in love with our first family! And it feels good.
I just hope I don’t see a commemmorative plate I can’t live without. I’d have to hide that in a drawer. I love you Obama family!

:discodance: :discodance: :discodance: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :discodance: :discodance: :discodance:

Ha, nice pics but what is a “first family” compared to a Queen. You poor Americans! Queen Elizabeth the Second has been on the throne since 1953. So, more than half a century of dedication, of carrying the torch of British Civilisation to the darkest corners of the globe.

A toast to Queen Elizabeth! :beer:

I think if you put some boobs on Barack Obama and gave him a wig, he’d look awfully close to Michelle.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Never met the woman personally, but to even BEGIN to imagine that she’s in ANY way “herself?” Good lord! She’s a product, man! You don’t get to be where she is without being so carefully marketed that she probably doesn’t even get to select her own brand of panytliner. Americans! Honestly. Can’t kill 'em – well, you can I suppose – but you can never plumb the depths of their gullibility.

The Beatles singing about Mrs. O.
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xl8YtgDAKc

[quote]Michelle

(Lennon/McCartney)

Michelle, ma belle.
These are words that go together well,
My Michelle.

Michelle, ma belle.
Sont des mots qui vont tres bien ensemble,
Tres bien ensemble.

I love you, I love you, I love you.
That’s all I want to say.
Until I find a way
I will say the only words I know that
You’ll understand.

I need you, I need you, I need you.
I need to make you see,
Oh, what you mean to me.
Until I do I’m hoping you will
Know what I mean.

I love you.

I want you, I want you, I want you.
I think you know by now
I’ll get to you somehow.
Until I do I’m telling you so
You’ll understand.

I will say the only words I know that
You’ll understand, my Michelle.[/quote]

[quote=“almas john”]Ha, nice pics but what is a “first family” compared to a Queen. You poor Americans! Queen Elizabeth the Second has been on the throne since 1953. So, more than half a century of dedication, of carrying the torch of British Civilisation to the darkest corners of the globe.

A toast to Queen Elizabeth! :beer:[/quote]

I am a big fan of your queen. Do you think the UK will elect a black one next?

[quote=“trebuchet”][quote=“almas john”]Ha, nice pics but what is a “first family” compared to a Queen. You poor Americans! Queen Elizabeth the Second has been on the throne since 1953. So, more than half a century of dedication, of carrying the torch of British Civilisation to the darkest corners of the globe.

A toast to Queen Elizabeth! :beer:[/quote]

I am a big fan of your queen. Do you think the UK will elect a black one next?[/quote]
Wooohahaha! :bravo:

How dear you Wooohahhaha my good Queen!!
Pistols at dawn, or the weapon of your choice.

Name one public servant who has worked harder than the Queen over the last six decades. You may not agree with having a royalty, but surely you recognize the Queen’s grit, grace, and tirelessness. Class.

The Beatles singing about the queen.
youtube.com/watch?v=_cDppDM_BbY

[quote]Her Majesty’s a pretty nice girl
But she doesn’t have a lot to say.
Her Majesty’s a pretty nice girl
But she changes from day to day.

I want to tell her that I lover her a lot
But I’ve got to get a belly full of wine.
Her Majesty’s a pretty nice girl
Today I’m going to make her mine.[/quote]

She seems like a nice person to me.

Why do people put still pictures on youtube? Seems like a waste.

“God save the Queen. A fascist regime!
God save the Queen. She ain’t no human beeeen!” :note:

[quote=“trebuchet”][

And Michelle, Michelle, Michelle, Michelle! Her charm, her grace! The way she is simply herself, without any need to make herself into one of the charactertures that black women get pigeonholed into in Hollywood (sassy comebacks, Monique, etc.) How is Hollywood not going to put black actresses into roles besides ones that were written specifically for black heroines after four years of watching Michelle travel the world acting only like her intelligent worldly sweet self.[/quote]

Ah the real “president” if you ask me. :beatnik: :wink: But to compare her to Hollywood when she’s a politician’s wife is a bit off. Sandman is right, she’s a “product” in someways, as are the cute kids (Sasha is my fave). But she’s a better “product” than some of the other politicians wives I’ve seen. She may not be so inclined to get caught in the hype of the Washington social circuit, be addicted to some drug, and realize that this opportunity, while great, will pass and the true measure of one’s worth isn’t in who your husband is.

As for Hollywood, um, they’ll still do what they do. It would be nice to have black female heroines, but it would also be nice just to see blacks considered for simple character roles.

While I’m hoping this presidency will strongly impact the media, I’m not going to be unrealistic.

[quote=“Namahottie”]
It would be nice to have black female heroines, but it would also be nice just to see blacks considered for simple character roles. [/quote]

That’s what I was trying to say. I didn’t mean to imply that Michelle was totally unfiltered (what politicians wife would ever have the luxury of doing THAT?) but rather, that she didn’t see the need to act like any of the cookiecutter types of roles that Hollywood confines black women to. I expect her to act like a presidents wife, though given a bit more leeway in some ways and a bit less in others.

And I whoop with glee over the idea of foreign dignitaries getting to know the Obama children. Tell me those two cherubs can’t melt their way into peoples’ hearts better than the Bush daughters could ever dream of.

The black factor aside, we have a warmer and friendlier White House than we have ever had in my lifetime. I never watched any kind of White House family Christmas special when the Bushes or Clintons were in office, but if there is an Obama family Christmas special, I’ll be canceling my plans to stay home and watch.

I am still in disbelief that I have a first family that I like this much. Never thought I’d be this hokey, and it feels good!
:discodance: :discodance: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :discodance: :discodance:

How dear you Wooohahhaha my good Queen!!
Pistols at dawn, or the weapon of your choice.

Name one public servant who has worked harder than the Queen over the last six decades. You may not agree with having a royalty, but surely you recognize the Queen’s grit, grace, and tirelessness. Class.[/quote]

Wasn’t she the one who, when introduced to Madonna, said “so you sing, do you?”. Palin would have been slaughtered for that comment.

[quote=“trebuchet”]
The black factor aside, we have a warmer and friendlier White House than we have ever had in my lifetime. I never watched any kind of White House family Christmas special when the Bushes or Clintons were in office, but if there is an Obama family Christmas special, I’ll be canceling my plans to stay home and watch. [/quote]

Oh you’re gonna be disappointed. The Obama’s are probably going to have family Kwanzaa special.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“trebuchet”]
The black factor aside, we have a warmer and friendlier White House than we have ever had in my lifetime. I never watched any kind of White House family Christmas special when the Bushes or Clintons were in office, but if there is an Obama family Christmas special, I’ll be canceling my plans to stay home and watch. [/quote]

Oh you’re gonna be disappointed. The Obama’s are probably going to have family Kwanzaa special.

[/quote]

I hope so! That’ll give the people who claim American isn’t multicultural an idea to put in their pipe and smoke on. :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

[quote=“trebuchet”]
I hope so! That’ll give the people who claim American isn’t multicultural an idea to put in their pipe and smoke on. :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:[/quote]

Hope all you want, but Kwanzaa isn’t elite enough for them :beatnik:

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“trebuchet”]
I hope so! That’ll give the people who claim American isn’t multicultural an idea to put in their pipe and smoke on. :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:[/quote]

Hope all you want, but Kwanzaa isn’t elite enough for them :beatnik:[/quote]

So, you see them as elite, and having high aspirations? I detect a resentment for being social climbers. Do you resent them because you see them as oreo rather than black? Just wondering why you dislike/distrust the Obamas.

Bodo

[quote=“Bodo”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“trebuchet”]

Hope all you want, but Kwanzaa isn’t elite enough for them :beatnik:[/quote]

So, you see them as elite, and having high aspirations? I detect a resentment for being social climbers. Do you resent them because you see them as oreo rather than black? Just wondering why you dislike/distrust the Obamas.

Bodo[/quote]

Sarcasm Bodo, Sarcasm

Am I the only one who finds this thread a bit creepy?

You wrote this in another thread, trebuchet, but I’ll address it here:

So far so good…

Why? Is a black first lady more interesting than a first lady of a different color?

What will she accomplish?

Huh? She’s going to be the First Lady, not the Secretary of State. Her meetings with world leaders will be ceremonial. Oh and in case you didn’t notice, the current Secretary of State is a black woman. Does she give you chills? Is her voice pleasant and disarming? :unamused: