Let's talk about Trump

And there it is. See, that wasn’t so hard was it Mick. It’s not just foreigners, so in the future, don’t say it is. Don’t try so hard to find the nuance in statements that have none. He’s NOT just talking about foreigners is he? And just so we don’t have to talk about this again, the answer to that question is, No Brent, he is not :slight_smile: [/quote]

With regards a ban on Muslims, he IS talking only about foreign Muslims.

Muslims or anyone in the US carrying out terrorist attacks who are already US citizens are a different problem.

And so him claiming victory referring to a domestic terrorist attack was what, just retarded? Can we at least agree on that? :slight_smile:

But have you really not thought about how the Trump ban foreign Muslims plan would play out? Let’s say Trump gets elected President and he does get this thing going.

Assume no Islamic terrorist acts occur for a while. Does Trump:

a) Proclaim himself the smartest person alive and lift the temporary ban hailing the success of the program?
b) Proclaim himself the smartest person alive and keep the ban in place indefinitely claiming that it’s working so why remove it?

Assume there are more Islamic terrorist attacks. Does Trump:

a) Admit that his plan was ill thought out, bigoted, and abandon it due to failure?
b) Proclaim himself the smartest person alive, and up the rhetoric to now include ALL Muslims both foreign and domestic as the problem?

You think too much about hypothetical scenarios Brent, the election is not for 6 months I wouldn’t be surprised if his call to ban Muslims hasn’t morphed into something else by then, something more popular with the main stream and not just popular with Republicans.

On a different topic, did you see some 19 year old kid from the UK tried to grab a gun from an officer to shoot Trump? Single most stupid thing I’ve seen in a long time, from all accounts planned it for a year and couldn’t even get the gun out of the holster (they tend to be designed so people can’t just grab the gun). Pasty white skinny kid from the UK that speaks all posh, is about to make all sorts of new friends. left shouldn’t encourage these mentally unstable types with “Trump is literally Hitler” , I mean if this kid really thought Trump was literally Hitler, he probably thought he was doing the world a favor. Instead his life is ruined and he’s going to learn all forms of brotherly love for the next 20 years. dumb.

[quote=“ChewDawg”]I am not a Trump supporter as his economic/trade policy is well to the left of Hillary’s. But the liberal eastern establishment media has thoroughly underestimated him at every turn. I would even go as far as saying they don’t really understand him.

Trump’s real victory in the GOP race has been the triumph over the religious right. You get over his bluster, he’s really a closet Rockefeller Republican. He’s pro-gay, somewhat statist in health care and appeals to people from all walks of life (as Rockefeller did ironically) versus the beltway Clintons and the special interests.

He’s authoritarian and nasty in his campaigning. :popcorn: He will tear Hillary a new one! :laughing: No surprise here—his mentor in the 1970s? The legendary, tough as nails, enemy of Robert Kennedy, right hand man of Joe McCarthy in the 1950s–Roy Cohn. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Cohn

I think Trump should make peace with another wing of the Repubs that never had time for the religious right–the neocons. He should appoint John Bolton as his VP. :2cents:

[/quote]

Great piece on the Cohn-Trump connection in the New York Times this week. A lot of Trump’s character was formed by this legendary lawyer. Amazing how the liberals disbarred him on his death bed. They could definitely only get him when he was down for the count. A true fighter! :2cents:

nytimes.com/2016/06/21/us/po … -cohn.html

Trump questions Clinton’s religion

The power of prayer only goes so far. God doesn’t heal amputees, Down’s syndrome cases, or the ever-increasingly damaged, floundering and desperate.

Roy Cohn was a witch hunter of the ilk that hounded Alan Turing into committing suicide in the 1950’s.

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT TRIES TO ASSASSINATE TRUMP!!!

Why isn’t this headline news? Is the MSM trying to cover it up? For that matter, why isn’t the Trump campaign trumpeting?

“Jose Valdez from Guadalajara tries to assassinate anti-illegal-immigrant candidate…”
“Mohammed al-Karin from Aleppo…”
“Fernando Dminguez from San Salvador…”
“Abdul Megwar from Islamabad…”
“Michael Sanford from Dorking…”

Oh. I guess that explains it.

I’d love to see the quote where someone said " Trump is literally Hitler"

Hitler was LITERALLY Hitler. Other people have some metaphorical parallels, and the Trump campaign has a certain element of the extremist talking radical swooping in to save the pissed off people, only to find out that he may be much worse.

but LITERALLY Hitler? Who said that?

And yes, that kid who tried to pull the gun may be the dumbest we’ve seen in quite some time. As you said, did he really think he was the first person to get the idea of pulling a cops gun? Yeah, they have safety guards and a little bit of training in place for that, duh !

Literally Hitler is a meme. Of course its as dumb as a box of rocks to say anyone is literally Hitler, but thats why it is so amusing.

Although most people know to draw the line and not actually say "Donald Trump is literally Hitler" just comparing Trump to Hitler is usually enough to send the Trump supporters on /r/the_donald into fits of laughter. Then there are some millennials that post on twitter that go full retard like this sampling. 

Why do they have to be on “the left” though? There’s lots of people on the right that hate Trump. For all we know, half those comments were from Republicans. :slight_smile:

But yeah, there’s a lot of millennials that don’t seem to know what literally means. To them it’s just a stress word. He’s really dumb. She’s super pretty. He’s LITERALLY Hitler. Uh no.

Truer words were never spoken.

[quote]Actor Charlie Sheen recently called out The Donald for the ruse, saying Trump once gave him his own cuff links as a wedding present and boasted that they came from one of the city’s leading jewelers.

“He says . . . ‘I want to give you an early wedding gift as a gesture from me and Melania’ — and she doesn’t say a word, she’s very sweet and very pretty but just kinda sits there,” Sheen told the BBC, referring to a time he ran into Trump and his wife in a restaurant about five years ago.

“He says, ‘These are platinum diamond Harry Winston,’ and he pulls off his cuff links, and he gives them to me.”

The actor said he took the links to an appraiser six months later, only to learn that they were worthless.

“She took [her magnifying] loupe, spent about 4 seconds and kind of recoiled from it,” Sheen quipped. “She says, ‘In their finest moment, this is cheap pewter and bad zirconias.’ And they’re stamped ‘Trump.’”

[b]The real estate mogul pulled the same stunt on his mentor, famed late pitbull lawyer Roy Cohn, years earlier, according to another report.

Trump gave Cohn a pair of “diamond-encrusted’’ cuff links and buttons in a box from famed jeweler Bulgari as a present, said the New York Times.

Cohn’s partner, Peter Fraser, who inherited the items, said he later had them appraised, and they turned out to be knock-offs.
[/b]
[/quote]
Cheap conniving crooked chiselling hustler- he did indeed learn from the master.

Yeah. Those dumb millennials, using “literally” to add emphasis, just like Twain, Fitzgerald, and Joyce. Kids today just don’t know how to write.

[quote]As is often the case, though, such “abuses” have a long and esteemed history in English. Tom Sawyer wasn’t turning somersaults on piles of money when Twain described him as “literally rolling in wealth,” nor was Jay Gatsby shining when Fitzgerald wrote that “he literally glowed,” nor were Bach and Beethoven squeezed into a fedora when Joyce wrote in Ulysses that a Mozart piece was “the acme of first class music as such, literally knocking everything else into a cocked hat.” Such examples are easily come by, even in the works of the authors we are often told to emulate.

By the late 17th century, though, literally was being used as an intensifier for true statements. The Oxford English Dictionary cites Dryden and Pope for this sense; Jane Austen, in Sanditon, wrote of a stormy night that, “We had been literally rocked in our bed.” In these examples, literally is used for the sake of emphasis alone.[/quote]

The word’s got different meanings, and has had those meanings for a few hundred years. It’s up there with split infinitives and not ending sentences with a preposition as common pet peeves that aren’t actually wrong.

(Still doesn’t excuse anyone who produces a sentence like “Trump is literally Hitler.”)

Trump is Hitlery literal.

Could the Trump family be any more of an embarrassment to America? I think he was home schooled by his father. Neither speaks above a 4th graders head…

finance.yahoo.com/news/donald-tr … 00077.html

Funny, I’ve not ever heard “the American dream” refer to people who inherit a 200 million dollar company (1.2 billion inflation adjusted) at the age of 25 and then underperform a buy and hold bond portfolio.

Trump 2016 ! Forget making America great again. The real reason to vote Trump is the faster America hits rock bottom the sooner the recovery can start? Or something like that…

So what? He’s got the Evangelicals on his side. No matter what he is/does.

Someone agrees with me in terms of the likelihood of a Trump presidency. Say it ain’t so.

5 Reasons Why Trump Will Win

[quote]And there is no doubt in my mind that if people could vote from their couch at home on their X-box or PlayStation, Hillary would win in a landslide.

But that is not how it works in America. People have to leave the house and get in line to vote. And if they live in poor, Black or Hispanic neighborhoods, they not only have a longer line to wait in, everything is being done to literally stop them from casting a ballot. So in most elections it’s hard to get even 50% to turn out to vote. And therein lies the problem for November – who is going to have the most motivated, most inspired voters show up to vote? You know the answer to this question. Who’s the candidate with the most rabid supporters? Whose crazed fans are going to be up at 5 AM on Election Day, kicking ass all day long, all the way until the last polling place has closed, making sure every Tom, Dick and Harry (and Bob and Joe and Billy Bob and Billy Joe and Billy Bob Joe) has cast his ballot? That’s right. That’s the high level of danger we’re in. And don’t fool yourself — no amount of compelling Hillary TV ads, or outfacting him in the debates or Libertarians siphoning votes away from Trump is going to stop his mojo.
[/quote]

People who are not unenthusiastic about Hillary are downright antagonistic. Our goose is cooked. Unless there is some kind of miracle, which at the eleventh hour… dunno.

:laughing: I think that’s pretty much it.

The lack of enthusiam for business as usual is a real head scratcher. Maybe Brexit is catching.

It’s funny that you mention this. That’s one of the main reasons that I’m optimistic about the prospect of a Clinton presidency: she will be so outrageous that she will provoke a reaction before the USA turns into the Brazil of the north. With anyone else, that outcome would be all but guaranteed because the frog would be boiled too slowly. At this point in the game, acceleration may be the only solution.

There’s also a theory that the reason Peter Thiel has so openly endorsed Trump (aside from potentially standing to gain a great deal personally by being one of the only people in Silicon Valley to do so) is that he is actually playing a much deeper game.

From the article: 'I think Peter Thiel supports Donald Trump because he believes it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to weaken America’s attachment to democratic government.

I’m not accusing Thiel of any ambitions he hasn’t more or less copped to. In an often-quoted 2009 essay, Thiel declared, “I no longer believe that freedom and democracy are compatible.”’

If this is the case, and that outcome eventuates, then well played by Peter Thiel.

From the “You can’t make this shit up” Department, guess who’s suing Trump for chiseling them on a deal?

The USA Freedom KIds!

[quote]The “USA Freedom Kids,” a cheese-ball youth performance troupe, appeared at a Trump rally last summer and became an instant sensation, partly because of the contrast between the adorableness of the performers and the quasi-fascistic undertones of their lyrics (such as “Deal from strength or get crushed every time”). Jeff Popick, the group’s (adult) manager, told Claire Landsbaum he was attracted to Trump not only for reasons of customer synergy but also personal conviction — “[Trump] knows what he’s doing, and he makes the right decisions,” Popick explained.

You’ll never guess what happened next. Yes, Trump refused to pay the group for its time and expenses, reports Philip Bump. First, the USA Kids were told they could have a free table to sell CDs instead of $2,500, they accepted the deal, and no such table was provided. Then they were asked to fly to Iowa to appear at Trump’s rally to help veterans, and not only were they not paid, but Trump failed to reimburse the cost of their travel.[/quote]

Hey, Jeff :“Deal from strength or get crushed every time”

You and your adorable daughter and her friends weren’t dealing from strength, so you got crushed by Donald.

washingtonpost.com/news/the … -campaign/

The #dncleaks, or #dncleak, or whatever isn’t blocked on Twitter right now and is the current hashtag, is causing a lot of turmoil. At this point, if Hillary loses she spends the rest of her life being investigated. So she doubles down by hiring the resigning DNC head (aka DWS) and goes all-in. But I think it will be very bad for turnout to ask people to vote purely out of negativity towards Trump and not for Hillary. Dumping her (and everyone implicated in the scandal) would be best for the Democrats but again, that won’t happen because Hillary can’t allow it to happen.

So we get told that we should really be angry with Advanced Persistent Threat 28, Code Name: Fancy Bear, and not upset over the massive corruption and cynicism that’s been uncovered.