Li Ao: Anti-secession law a good thing

Who decides when all options have been exhausted? Why who decided it before the law? All this does is to bar the decision from being “accidently” made by immature TIers who have shown themselves to be unconcerned with practicality and prone to unpredictable hissy fits.

Taiwan needs more “fools” in the legislature if the “fool” makes more sense than the rest.

Nap. Li Ao went to jail for advocating TI, which was then a vehicle for achieving democratic reforms. Not any more, since that goal was achieved. Many sane people who were actually in Taiwan advocating TI and being jailed in the 70s have long relinquished it for this very reason (several DPP former chairmen, in fact). Only Japanoid/US dimwit TIers, who, after crawling back from safety after martial law was lifted, equate the two nowadays.

It’s a much different beast nowadays. Now, TI has no rationality or principle behind it at all except TI for TI’s sake, or actually TI for TIer’s Japan pride, and for Hoklo superiority. I applaud the people who saw through this retarded bullshit and said goodbye.

Nap. He merely copied the crawl-back TIers (for their benefit), who did it years ago.

Please enlighten us on what part of the Basic Law has been tinkered with. Oh please please please please please![/quote]

Whoops! I meant to say “interpreting it to meet their needs.” I’m sorry…I would never accuse the government of the PRC of blatantly changing the Basic Law. That would be too obvious, and they are far to nefaste for that. :smiling_imp:

No matter… the point about the anti-secession law was more about “reinterpretation” here anyways. So thank you for pointing out the difference.

You seem to be confusing the official reason given by the KMT for arresting him with what he was actually doing. I bet if you asked him whether he had ever advocated or worked towards independence he’d be offended by the question.

You really do have a bee in your bonnet about TI don’t you? I’d be interested to know how a bunch of (by-and-large peaceful) extremists (with little political power) can wind you up so much.

What was he “actually doing” then? Li Ao himself says he was advocating TI. Of course he doesn’t advocate TI these days because it’s not the same thing any more. I bet you have no idea who Li Ao is.

You mean how Li Ao is a WSR and none of the TI BSR wanted to play TI rebel with him.

They guy practically saved half of the DPP leadership.

He act nutty, but no one doubts his intellegence nor literary talent. Both sides respect the guy because he is a man of principle. Not to mention he knows what he is talking about and pretty fun to boot.

It’s funny how the current loudest, highest serving, or BSR TIers never paid any price for TI when it most likely could have happened, which was in the late 70s. The people who stood on principle to advocate TI and have been jailed have since given up on TI, which has degenerated into shit. Furthermore, the first and only person who has ever died for the cause of TI was a WSR who immolated himself. TI today is a joke. They want something for nothing. They are scared shitless at the slightest hint of danger, but the next moment they will be making faces and sticking out their tongues, and doing their monkey show again.

And among the people having given up on TI you would exclude:

Anette Lu
Chen Shuibian
Su Zhenchang
Frank Xie
Chang Junxiong
et al

Know your facts, please. :unamused:

Anette Lu
Chen Shuibian
Su Zhenchang
Frank Xie
Chang Junxiong
et al

Know your facts, please. :unamused:[/quote]

All I said was “dem, dem” right after PRC passed the bill and I have not heard a peep about Taidu from these people since.

Anette Lu
Chen Shuibian
Su Zhenchang
Frank Xie
Chang Junxiong
et al

Know your facts, please. :unamused:[/quote]

All I said was “dem, dem” right after PRC passed the bill and I have not heard a peep about Taidu from these people since.[/quote]

How about replying?

You were caught in a lie… And well, you have not heard about Taidu for the last 2 days???

Pray tell which of them went to jail for TI?

CSB got jailed for writing slanderous remarks in a magazine and not retracting them when ordered by the court. The court told him to write an apology, he refuse, and went to jail for a few months.

Oh yeah, real hardcore TI this one. A lawyer that can’t even defend himself in court.

He plays it up as if he was a some hardcore TI, in reality he was a publisher of an underground magazine that just thought too much of himself.

If you can find a quote with him saying he was advocating independence, I’d be interested - but for now all I can find is this from the BBC:

OK, let me correct myself. Li Ao says he went to jail for the cause of TI. I guess he never said he was advocating TI himself. Yes, KMT labeled him TIer, but whatever. He went to jail when he helped the erstwhile TIer Peng Mingmin get out of Taiwan on a boat.

This is also an interesting quote due to Chen Wenqian:

“Li Ao sat in jail for TI for five years, and was under house arrest for one year. The time in life that he sacrificed is 9 times that of Chen Shuibian and infinity times that of Xie Changting (Frank Hsieh).”

Li Ao must have been a KMT underling who did NOT get what he wanted. Hence, he became Taiwan’s greatest asset by helping our independence movement in hopes of getting “power” in a Taiwanese government. Sadly this has never came to be for all we know Li Ao is Pro-China only when it is convenient for him.

Zeugmite - just to be clear. We seem to be arguing primarily over terminology here: I personally think it is ridiculous to link someone like Li Ao, who has been consistently strongly pro-reunification with any sort of TI ideology.

He deserves (and gets) a lot of respect for his efforts to help bring democracy to Taiwan. In his role as a ‘pro-democracy activist’ he had a common cause with (and helped) many people who advocated Taiwan independence, but that does not make him even a little bit of a TIer.

I would agree he is way more intelligent and clear in his beliefs than the huge majority of Taiwanese politicians. My problems with him are his politics (I can’t believe his radical pro-unification position is beneficial to the majority of Taiwanese people), and the fact that (as i’ve said) I think the legislature needs someone like him like a hole in the head.

Ah, the fragrant Sisy Chen - trying to start a pissing contest on someone elses behalf. How like her. May I just say I have ‘infinity times’ more respect for Li Ao than Sisy Chen, who nowadays seems to embody all that is spiteful, bitter and negative in Taiwanese politics.

[just in case it isn’t clear: Taiwanese = “ROC citizen” here]