liability for damages due to fire?

So not too long ago there was an accidental small kitchen fire in the single apartment I rent. The sprinkler system prevented the fire from spreading and kept damage to a relative minimum. I ended up paying to replace things like cabinets and the stovetop that caused it, and I accepted responsibility for the fire.

Now, however, I am noticing potential water damage (caused by the apartment’s sprinklers) on the floorboards and this is making me worried. After already paying what for me was a substantial sum for damages, it now seems like I might be held responsible for something potentially even more expensive.

Where do I stand legally? At the end of my contract, when this water damage becomes apparent, will I be expected to pay for repairs? I’m already thinking they might withhold my deposit, but what if the cost of the damage exceeds said deposit?

Thank you for any information or advice!

you break you pay

Unfortunately this is true. You may well get another bill. Just hope nobody notices.

Attitudes to fire in Taiwan are radically different to The West in general, where it’s almost become somebody else’s problem : the fire department for putting it out and the insurance company for making good.

Here, it’s not “just an accident”. Unless you have the right connections of course. Then it is.

1 Like

Talk to a lawyer. Then talk to another one. :2cents:

As always, we probably should mention the Tsui Mama Foundation. They would have some thoughts.

When you say the damage is becoming apparent, what does it look like? A photo would help. If it’s a “proper” wooden floor on standoffs over the concrete there may still be a lot of water under the floor which is soaking into the wood, it’s likely a mess of mold under there too. If it’s this is likely to continue to get worse until the underlying issue is fixed.

With regards to paying for it to be repaired, I’m afraid you’re on the hook for that.

1 Like

How long is “not too long ago”… you may be able to mitigate the damage yourself if it’s not been too long. IE take the floorboards out, dry everything out, put the floorboards back in. It’s not hard.

1 Like