Liberals need to stop underestimating Bush and the right

The Dem’s realize they have to address a more conservative, paranoid country than before 9/11. But I wouldn’t say they were as whiny or felt as victimized as Republicans did when Clinton won. The Republicans did everything they could to trash him, but even then Clinton is still considered the 3rd most popular President in US history even with Repub’s effort to deify Reagan and name everything after him. Many Repub’s even wanted to put Reagan on the dime (what did FDR do for America anyway other than save the country from the Depression- but wait, he was a Democrat!) and on Mount Rushmore (who cares if it would destroy Washington’s face - he’s dead, after all).
If you want to talk about battered wife syndrome, listen to Repub’s talk about black women on welfare. When you talk to Repub’s, that’s always one issue that comes up.

Yes, I agree for once sbmoor:

The Republicans went too far with their hatred of Clinton and the party suffered because of it. In some ways, the Republicans started this hatred thing BUT the difference is that Clinton was a dishonest, lying, cheating, son of a bitch but Bush is what? Dishonest? Prove it. Cheating on his wife? Prove it. Lying to federal grand juries? prove it. Sexually harrassing women? prove it. That is the difference. Also, we were not fond of his Kick the Can down the Road approach to dealing with problems. He may be popular now but he will be nothing but a foot note in history books. The true giants will stand out as Reagan and Bush II.

Such strong language. So he qualifies as ‘son of a bitch’ because he lied? Hm. I think Reagan takes the cake on that one with his Iran-Contra affair, yet you seem to feel that a man who betrays the Constitution is ‘great.’ Telling. So the fact that he slept around is what makes you so angry? You feel Bush is a better representation of the moral fiber of our country? He must just have been duped when he was convinced of the ‘proof’ of Saddam’s WMD despite widespread proof that this was not true. Bush will be one of the ‘greats’ because he invaded a country on nonexistent proof of WMD and even though it posed no direct threat to the US, proving to most of the rational world that he was inept at politics but to you that he was a genius. Telling indeed.

Clinton was a son of a bitch, admittedly a likable one, because he was in fact a son that was born to a bitch. He said his mother was a bit difficult and a drunk and abused and abusive and a gambler etc. So he had a tough childhood. It’s all in his new book. He wants us to feel his pain this time around.

I believe that Clinton wasted eight golden years to do something with those precious years right after the Berlin Wall fell. While he was busy entertaining celebrities and acting like a rock star, Ukraine was ignored, Osama was ignored.

How did Reagan and the Contragate threaten the Constitution?

So, I take your points. I know that is a partisan point of view and neither of us will change the other’s opinion so I respect your right to like Clinton. Please respect my right to like Reagan and Bush.