Libertarians with the German Imperial Flag?

Libertarians? Did you see the Imperial flag in those anti-mask crowd?

Since when did libertarian became another word for far-right nationalists?

Since never. I think you’re smart enough to realize there were a lot of different people there.

In Germany it’s the equivalent of people in the US marching in the Charlottesville protest next to people holding up NAZI flags.

I don’t think we should take down statues of Robert E Lee. Does that make me a nazi because others there were nazis? I don’t think so.

The article posted said there were libertarians. Which is what I’m commenting on if you’re confused on what I’m talking about. I did not group them all in together.

If I’m in a protest and there are people holding NAZI flags, I’d either tell them to take those flags down, or I’d get out of there. But that’s just me.

1 Like

The article said the people there included libertarians. Which is what I’m talking about.

As with the Nazis flags, have you considered many do truly feel Robert E Lee should be honored beyond whatever white supremacy groups think he stood for as a civil war general?

That’s why I question the article’s definition of libertarians, maybe it means something different in Europe than the US.

I can imagine people who don’t self-identify as white supremacists opposing the removal of Robert E Lee’s statues, but if they have no qualms about marching next to white supremacists holding up NAZI flags, then I think they are kidding themselves.

How do you know if they were marching with the Nazis. Can’t they be protesting for the statue and the Nazis came?

I looked at the pictures in Germany. I don’t think that many were holding far right nationalist flags.

There’s one Imperial looking flag in the the back. Not clear enough to tell though. There are US, Canadian, Brazilian, Italian and Spanish flags in this shot.

Even a LGBT :rainbow_flag: flag. So it looks like it was a lot of different people to me.

Yes. At which point they should tell them that those kind of symbols is not tolerated at this rally, and if they do not leave, then they should leave and make public statements condemning such racist behavior.

If they don’t think these steps are necessary and they are ok with anyone who is against the removal of the statues to join regardless of their message, then they are kidding themselves.

I mean who’s going to ask them to make public statements?

They’re not allowing people to join their message. People were just there. I don’t understand why you think everyone was just 1 group together on the same message.

If I’m on the street and someone is holding up a NAZI flag, I tell the person to remove it, or I get as far away as the person as I can. That’s when people aren’t one group. Marching together is the exact opposite of this.

The rally is organized by someone. Even if there is no one person making statement, then individuals can make their own statements condemning people holding up racists symbols. Just say they do not represent us. It’s not that difficult.

You make assumptions people did not do any of the things you’ve said. No one was interested in what people like me wants to say about general Lee. The attention was on the neo nazis. That’s just how it is.

I think you’re being far too idealistic of what you would do when a massive march of neo nazis came down the road.

1 Like

I think if the president came out and said neo nazis shouldn’t be tolerated and they do not reflect the movement, then statements made by the individuals would have gotten a lot more attention.

He did.

He condemned violence on both sides.

TRUMP: OK. Good. Are we going to take down the statue? Because he was a major slave owner. Now, are we going to take down his statue? So you know what? It’s fine. You’re changing history. You’re changing culture. And you had people, and I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally.

The transcript shows he did on a few occasions.

TRUMP: Those people – all of those people – excuse me. I’ve condemned neo-Nazis. I’ve condemned many different groups. But not all of those people were neo-Nazis, believe me. Not all of those people were white supremacists, by any stretch. Those people were also there because they wanted to protest the taking down of a statue, Robert E. Lee.

He said similar things in an official presser, which his staff forced him to do, and which he later called “the biggest fucking mistake I’ve made.”

In that interview you quoted, his next reply was

REPORTER: You said the press has treated white nationalists unfairly?

TRUMP: No. There were people in that rally, and I looked the night before, if you look, they were people protesting very quietly the taking down of the statue of Robert E. Lee.

That’s the night with white nationalists holding up tiki torches, NAZI flags and confederate flags, while chanting “Jews will not replace us”.

Link to a credible source?

He has made it very clear, he wasn’t talking about the neo nazis. Why do you continue to try to stick with this? He did in fact condemn them which is your claim he didn’t.

Are you in the loop with what these groups think? I’m in some far right groups as well as far left groups. I do so to keep an ear out for what they’re saying and the direction of their movement. Neo nazis do not like Trump. This may come to a surprise to people, but they don’t like him. You think people chanting “Jews will not replace us” supports one of the strongest administrations that support Zionist Israel? A person previously married to a Jew with Jewish grandchildren?

As much as people want to push the rhetoric of Trump and neo nazis being on the side side; it’s not the reality of what these groups actually believe.

1 Like