Library Assistant Qualifications

Does anyone know if there are any expectations regarding working as a Library Assistant in Taiwan?

In NZ no qualification is necessary but a bachelor or master’s degree are necessary to be a full fledged librarian.

Many thanks

Well libraries are often public so that’s a government job. Tough exams and 300 applicants for 1 opening.

FYI

From some job ads

國立臺灣戲曲學院木柵校區圖書館誠徵助理人員
二、資格條件
(一)大學(含以上學位)圖書資訊學相關系所畢業
(二)具高中職或大學圖書館工作經驗。
(三)具有電腦文書、電子試算表、簡報及網頁維護能力,若具有美工及影像剪輯軟體能力者尤佳。
(四)喜愛閱讀、工作態度積極,具服務熱誠,溝通能力及情緒管理能力
(五)願意配合夜間與假日輪值者

派駐新北市立圖書館(青少年分館)一般事務人員
要求條件
身份類別: 不拘
工作經驗: 工作經驗不拘
學歷限制: 高中職大學
科系限制: 不拘
附加條件: 1.中華民國國民具大專(學)以上畢業或具圖書館相關工作經驗者(依本館核定)。
2.具電腦基本操作及文書處理能力者尤佳。
3.具服務熱忱,誠懇細心,主動負責,親切有禮,口齒清晰,反應快,體能良好,並能擔負館舍維護管理工作。
4.具圖書資訊學背景或有圖書館工作經驗者尤佳。
5.須接受本館基礎訓練,並經認定合宜者。

國家教育研究院教科書圖書館 徵聘兼任助理
三、資格
1.具耐心、細心及溝通能力,對工作具責任感。
2.圖書資訊學系、教育或人文社會科學相關科系在學碩士。
3.具全民英檢中高級或相當程度英語或其他外語能力尤佳。

Just so you know you have to be ROC citizen for those jobs.

I find that somewhat difficult to believe. Do you have any source for that?

says it right in the job description.

No where I can see.

Says here: ROC Citizen with a bachelor or associate degree or with library experience (as determined by the library).

If the job is designated for foreigners they will advertise differently, while they won’t have the absurd testing requirement, they will not be easy to get into either.

Article 28 of 公務人員任用法

government employees should be ROC nationals, unless employment of foreigners are allowed by other laws.

And as TL mentioned, most of libraries are public sector, so foreigners cannot work basically.

I’m not very sure if the rule is applied to dispatched workers from employment agency, but maybe it is.

1 Like

If you want to be a librarian then see if your “embassy” in Taiwan maintains a cultural library like the Goethe Institute does. If so apply with them. Or get a job at a book store…