License Reciprocity...AIT or TECO?

OK, not to hijack this thread, but I hope to redeem myself by answering what I know so far above :rofl:

So, the SASE works fine for US priority mail, where you can buy a stamp at the post office, but is it true that they canā€™t process an international priority mail SASE stamp? I just tried that at the post office earlier today and they were saying that they can only issue electronic postage that requires the accompanying document to be mailed within the day or tomorrow tops. Is that true, or is she just full of hot air?

My dilemma is that I plan to at least temporarily exploit a loophole with my IDP, and whether or not it works is kind of a crap shoot. Anyway, once I pass my MSF course (easy since I have at least 30 hours of dirt biking experience and youā€™re riding on pavement instead of an uneven trail), my US motorcycle endorsement will say that I can ride any class of motorcycle, but Taiwan mostly wonā€™t allow for reciprocity; I heard itā€™s exceedingly rare to be able to persuade the DMV personnel to allow people to even get a white plate license (yellow or even red seems to be asking too much but Iā€™m sure thereā€™s people out there that probably pulled it off).

I will finish the MSF this Sunday (Aug 13), Idaho allows you to email the DMV the notarized completion cert so itā€™ll be processed by the end of the month, and Iā€™ll mail it right to TECO Seattle before I leave. I plan to fly out to Taiwan on the first week of September, so I wonā€™t be around in the US to authenticate it, so I plan on having it mailed to Taiwan.

Nah. They didnā€™t do that for mine. They collected it and it was never cancelled on my side. I guess thatā€™s what theyā€™re supposed to do in some instances but maybe not all.

Where do you see this information?

Which is wrong. There is nothing stopping people holding drivers licenses in other countries and having a Taiwan license. Also the DMV cannot cancel a license from another country.

They did for my old driverā€™s license. When I tried to apply for a replacement for my old US license which I traded for a Taiwan one, it said I was no longer a resident of my old state.

A driverā€™s license in the US is proof of state residency, so you shouldnā€™t have more than one. Most US states have agreements with other countries to send peopleā€™s old licenses back to their old countries to be canceled, once they swap it for a new license in that state, and vice versa.

They donā€™t do it themselves obviously. They mail it to the embassy of that foreign country.

You are not obliged to swap. Just do the driverā€™s license from the beginning in the other country.
I did it in Taiwan as I do not want to surrender my European (German) driverā€™s license.

1 Like

it depends on the jurisdiction. There are agreements which clearly state that in the case of conversion of, for instance since I have direct experience of, an Italian licence into Taiwanese and viceversa, the converted licence is invalidated and sent back to the central bureau of the issuing authority.

I know of Italy and other European countries doing this, but for instance when I converted my HK licence here, there is no such agreement so they took the notarised and legalised copy of my HK licence and issued to me the corresponding tw licence.

2 Likes

I did not say that there is anything stopping one from holding multiple licences.

2 Likes