Lien Chan: No Foreign Daughter-in-law for me

On a talk show taped yesterday, Lien Chan and Lien Fang-yu were asked about their views on their son’s marriage prospects. Fang-yu said that their son could choose his own wife while Lien said that ‘it would be best if she wasn’t a westerner (yang2ren2)’.

Those of you with Taiwanese spouses/SOs might want to point this little gem out to your better half.

news.chinatimes.com/Chinatimes/M … 24,00.html

Well if its like father like son, maybe its because the western woman might hit back.

:laughing:

Chewy

How about those whom are Chinese or Taiwanese but have a western country’s passport?
Would they be considered by Lien Chan as westerners or special Chinese and Taiwanese ?

The western wife might not take as well to getting beaten or at least that’s what he may think.

Looks to me he’s trying to appeal to the DPPers by stealing their ideas, they’ve been saying that for ages.

Give me some evidence please, Mr. troll.

if his boy looks anything like his father, there is nothing for the old bugger to worry about

He’s probably just voicing the feelings of the vast majority of parents. How many of you married people have in-laws who would have said exactly the same thing before they got to know, accept and love you?
I know mine would have, bless their parochial country bumpkin hearts. Hold on though – isn’t Lien supposed to be urbane and sophisticated? Guess not.

And yes, my MIL loves me, or so she told my wife. :astonished:
In fact, she thinks she has the best of both worlds – she gets to “keep” her daughter and she gets a new son – her words, not mine.
Amazing what a little knowledge can do, eh Lien, you sad old tosspot?

Give me some evidence please, Mr. troll.[/quote]

These people in DPP run Taipei County seem to prefer people didn’t marry foreigners: [New policy on ARC renewals?

This DPP person doesn’t think much of foreign spouses much either:
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003054671

also:
[Today's Anti-Foreigner coverage in the Taipei Times
[DPP Xenophobes
taipeitimes.com/News/archive … 0000141606

Will that do ?

Hey, fartmaster, your boy has shown his true colors, just admit that he’s as bad.

Give me some evidence please, Mr. troll.[/quote]
… Will that do ?[/quote]
No, not really. The KMT has a long history of xenophobia. Do people really believe that the soul of the KMT is represented by “that nice Mr. Ma, who makes those funny speeches in English and puts up signs in hanyu pinyin” for the foreigners? In general, the situation for foreigners has improved under the DPP administration (permanent residency, work rights for foreigners married to locals).

I can’t imagine Chen saying something like Lien did. I hope someone presses Lien for an explanation.

[quote=“daltongang”]Hey, fartmaster, your boy has shown his true colors, just admit that he’s as bad.[/quote]He’s not my boy, none of them are. But you’re right, Lian is just as bad, maybe worse. Just saying this isn’t the first such comment to come from a politician in Taiwan. Maybe with the DPP being in power recently, they’ve been in the news more.

Imagine if a politician in the west said this. Here, there’s nothing wrong with it.

[quote=“cranky laowai”]I can’t imagine Chen saying something like Lien did.[/quote]I hope not, but if he did, he would be stating the view of a lot of Taiwanese. I couldn’t imagine Lu saying “AIDS is a punishment from God”, but she did. Or other DPP people saying “All teachers are bastards”, or “If China points missiles at us, we have the right to go and rape their women”, but they did.
I’m guessing the the “Foreigners are just not as smart as we Chinese people.” guy is KMT, is he ?

[quote]I hope someone presses Lien for an explanation.[/quote]Me too, but how likely is that in Taiwan ?

[quote]the situation for foreigners has improved under the DPP administration (permanent residency, work rights for foreigners married to locals). [/quote]Work rights was introduced during Chen, but when were those useless APRCs introduced again. ?
So when can foreigners married to Taiwanese expect a 3 year ARC ?

How does pointing out that others are as bad as Lien make me a troll ? Is it because I wasn’t worshipping Chen ? Can I expect a gang of taxi drivers with baseball bats now ?

I take back the troll part since you have submitted some ‘evidence’. However your evidence does not support your conclusion.

The DPP administration of Taipei County has nothing to do with setting policy on ARC extensions. The police in each district set their own ‘in-house’ rules known as ‘neigui’ on how they will handle things like ARC extensions. The law unfortunately gives them the leeway to do this.

Now you’ve found two legislators doing some xenophobic grandstanding. Is this DPP policy? Not likely. Lin Yixiong and other important DPP figures have foreign in-laws.
also:

[quote]
[Today's Anti-Foreigner coverage in the Taipei Times
[DPP Xenophobes
taipeitimes.com/News/archive … 0000141606

Will that do ?[/quote]

I’ve got work to do, so I don’t have time to go through the rest of this, but they are basically irrelevant. Why don;t you show me some original sources instead of quoting from badly translated newspaper articles and random postings from this forum

The DPP has many, many faults but xenophobia is emphatically not one of them as anyone who as ever been to a DPP political event is well aware.

maybe he meant that he would like to have a foreign son-in-law, because he respects gay marriages and miscegnation.

My in-laws are country folk in Changhua COunty and they are absolutely wonderful to me and our little girl. I have had absolutely NO tension whatsoever from my in-laws!.. :slight_smile:

He’s probably just voicing the feelings of the vast majority of parents. How many of you married people have in-laws who would have said exactly the same thing before they got to know, accept and love you?
I know mine would have, bless their parochial country bumpkin hearts. Hold on though – isn’t Lien supposed to be urbane and sophisticated? Guess not.

And yes, my MIL loves me, or so she told my wife. :astonished:
In fact, she thinks she has the best of both worlds – she gets to “keep” her daughter and she gets a new son – her words, not mine.
Amazing what a little knowledge can do, eh Lien, you sad old tosspot?[/quote]

I heard that on the radio this morning, when they were broadcasting a few excerpts from the interview (carefully selected to make him sound chummy, humorous, unaffected, close to the people, and just the kind of fellow you’d love to have round to sip tea and shoot the breeze with). My eyebrows shot up when they asked him if he’d mind his kid marrying a foreigner and he replied “zui hao bu yao” (“better not”) in a tone of voice that was laden with offensively racist suggestiveness.

My taiwanese wife just emailed him and asked him why he is such a disgrace to the Taiwanese people.

Nice one Chewy. :notworthy: My wife thought that was hilarious. :laughing: :laughing:

so why don’t we have a “screw you lien zhan” rally instead of sitting here?

why don’t we taiwan internationals unite and hold protests when these people do this? why are we so silent. send me your name if you wanna protest this pig.