Lien Chan's son shot during political rally

Exactly.That would be totally insane. It’s almost certainly an amateur nutjob.

youtube.com/watch?v=qQudOSux … re=recentu

29 year old man died. Poor guy. Couldve happened to a number of other people there.

This is the second time since I’ve been in Taiwan that there has been an assassination in my neighborhood. There was one before when we lived in Tianmu. I thought in Yonghe we would be safe from that. I think it was only a coincidence.

Bummer. I hope he survives and recovers.

Definitely a nutjob. There seem to be lots of them in Taiwan. While there’s intense division between the two parties in the US, at least people there don’t get worked up into such a rabid frenzy that the politicians will climb over tables to strangle, slap, kick and pull each other’s hair, or engage in frenzied court battles of absurd lies, slander and back and forth defamation lawsuits, and it seems less common for people to make mad attempts on the lives of politicians. I guess democracy is so new here, still, that it will take many more years for it to become more sane and civil. My wife, a native of Chiayi, was saying last night that there are hordes of uneducated crazy people down in southern Taiwan (ie., apparently suggesting the Taiwan political loonies are more likely to be green). I don’t know if there’s more lunacy down south or not, or green rather than blue, but I could imagine that guys who do this kind of thing in TAiwan are probably more likely to come from a totally uneducated family, to be a poor ignorant clod, perhaps with substance abuse problems and/or mental problems and somewhat out of touch with the basic norms of civil society (as opposed to the west, where I could imagine someone from a family with some education, money and stability, snapping and going off the deep end).

In any event, if the victim wasn’t even running for office it seems especially nutty. I wonder if it’s true that the shooter was so drugged up and crazy that he got the wrong guy.

I don’t think China would have any moral problems with killing Lien’s son. Obviously, however this doesn’t seem to be the case.

I’ve seen pretty much political lunacy in the north. Soon after Ma was elected prez this Mainlander veteran burned himself to death to protest Ma’s changing KMT’s China policy.

There may certainly have been some political motivation for this. i.e. the TV stations wanted to broadcast the final campaign rallies without being interrupted. However, some delay in reporting the story is not necessarily a bad thing. The shooting occurred at the rally of a city council candidate so there would have been no major media organisations present. It is better for the TV stations to wait until they have clear facts about the incident and only report it then. Too often media rush to report a story and get facts wrong. Waiting an extra half an hour or hour to get the story right may well have been a good thing in the final analysis.

I was just watching the local news, and the guy apologized for shooting the wrong guy…he was sorry for that…but not sorry for wanting to shoot the candidate, apparently :unamused:

I don’t believe for a second that China is behind this incident. The shooter is obviously a nutjob. Hopefully 連勝文 can make a full recovery. Really sad that an innocent bystander lost his life. Another black mark associated with Taiwan and elections.

Well they do know what affect it had on CSB. It could potentially consolidate power around the KMT at a pretty crucial time. Nothing sinks democracy like revenge. If Lien believes its a DPP conspiracy for the murder (attempted as it turns out) then who knows. I don’t think it is that outrageous. It’s world politics. People get shot all the time in world politics. Millions last year alone.

There is zero evidence that this is some conspiracy. Are you claiming this based on a thorough analysis of the news reports, or just theorizing? Just because something makes sense (in your head) doesn’t mean it actually happened. I’ve been watching the news, and this seems like the act of some wacko who was not even smart enough to know who he was shooting-could be linked to the mob, but I doubt it has anything to do with the PRC.

Well they do know what affect it had on CSB. It could potentially consolidate power around the KMT at a pretty crucial time. Nothing sinks democracy like revenge. If Lien believes its a DPP conspiracy for the murder (attempted as it turns out) then who knows. I don’t think it is that outrageous. It’s world politics. People get shot all the time in world politics. Millions last year alone.[/quote]

Looks like the surgery has proceeded smoothly, and Lien’s sight may be unaffected and his brain has not been damaged… that’s what I’ve been able to divine from Taiwan’s news media reports.

I never said there was. I said that head of Lien Zhan’s personal office claimed last night that he didn’t believe the shooting could have been a mistake because Lien’s son is 195 cm’s tall. He is immediately recognizable. Since he was shot at close range it is difficult to claim you weren’t targeting him. He then went on to say he believed it was a larger conspiracy. I said one possibility could be China. I think it’s reasonable in a Machiavellian political sense that doesn’t mean I believe it.

whether fake or real, the previous election shooting and now this one, i wonder if this sets up a dangerous precedent for people (whether nutjobs or conspiracists) to shoot candidates in every major Taiwan election. kooky

The scenario:

The shooter:

I never said there was. I said that head of Lian Zhan’s personal office claimed last night that he didn’t believe the shooting could have been a mistake because Lien’s son is 195 cm’s tall. He is immediately recognizable. Since he was shot at close range it is difficult to claim you weren’t targeting him. He then went on to say he believed it was a larger conspiracy. I said one possibility could be China. I think it’s reasonable in a Machiavellian political sense that doesn’t mean I believe it.[/quote]I wasn’t trying to make it sound like you personally believed it. Usually when something like this happens, the first thing people do is try to explain it with theories that there is no evidence for. Lian Zhan’s office was trying to explain something they had yet no explanation for. We can’t make sense of something like this…it’s crazy whether it was ‘ordered’ or whether it was a lone nut. Everything I have seen points to it being a lone nut, but we’ll have to wait and see. It is not a pretty trend…I didn’t realize it was that easy to get a gun in Taiwan :s

I never said there was. I said that head of Lian Zhan’s personal office claimed last night that he didn’t believe the shooting could have been a mistake because Lien’s son is 195 cm’s tall. He is immediately recognizable. Since he was shot at close range it is difficult to claim you weren’t targeting him. He then went on to say he believed it was a larger conspiracy. I said one possibility could be China. I think it’s reasonable in a Machiavellian political sense that doesn’t mean I believe it.[/quote]I wasn’t trying to make it sound like you personally believed it. Usually when something like this happens, the first thing people do is try to explain it with theories that there is no evidence for. Lian Zhan’s office was trying to explain something they had yet no explanation for. We can’t make sense of something like this…it’s crazy whether it was ‘ordered’ or whether it was a lone nut. Everything I have seen points to it being a lone nut, but we’ll have to wait and see. It is not a pretty trend…I didn’t realize it was that easy to get a gun in Taiwan :s[/quote]

Eh what people do is modify realistic bb guns and switch out the barrel and the firing pin, DO NOT EVER DO THIS, after a few rounds the gun might explode in your hands due to the lack of manufacturing quality of bb guns compared to real guns. Bullets are the hard ones to get.

Easy enough to make

Easy enough to make[/quote]

not everyone is a firearms expert dad, although the internet has a lot of guides :wink:

All these blue folks are telling me that green underground radio stations and greenish TV stations (Tai Shr) refuse to mention the shooting at all. I find this hard to believe. They might mention it in a different light, but making no mention at all of it would seem totally impossible. Having said that, I put on Tai Shr last night and for a little while today and didn’t see anything about the shooting. However, I actually didn’t catch a Tai Shr news program. I know there was some mention of this earlier in this thread. What do you folks think or know???

I was watching ming shi yesterday, had very little on the shooting. They didn’t want to cover it becaues of the very well known ‘sympathy vote’ effect in Taiwan that helped get CSB in to his second term. You can see the way the media operates in Taiwan.