Lies and Hypocrisy - what happens to "loveless" marriages

[quote]WARSAW (Reuters) - A Polish man got the shock of his life when he visited a brothel and spotted his wife among the establishment’s employees. Polish tabloid Super Express said the woman had been making some extra money on the side while telling her husband she worked at a store in a nearby town.

“I was dumfounded. I thought I was dreaming,” the husband told the newspaper Wednesday.

The couple, married for 14 years, are now divorcing, the newspaper reported.[/quote]

reuters.com/article/newsOne/ … 2720080109

It’s supremely ironic and perhaps even karmic to find an unfaithful, whoring husband to find his wife working at a brothel he was going to use. or maybe I’m too idealistic about marriage, as one who has never taken the vows.

Here in China, the Taiwanese co-workers all seem to have a gf/mistress/favorite pro. Perhaps when I’m married, I might become cynical too.

The Chinese phrase 活該 huo2gai1 immediately comes to mind. (Serves 'im right.)

I have no idea why, but for some reason that reminded me of the terrific scene from American Beauty when the cheating wife goes through the fastfood drive through and is busted by her hubby who’s working the register.

But you’re right, it is supremely ironic and karmic. Serves the fucker right.

No biggie about the divorce. Obviously wasn’t much of a marriage.

I like to post judgements about people I know nothing about about. It reduces the anxiety I feel about living in such a complicated world and contributes greatly to the general stock of wisdom.

:bravo:

Not me. I prefer to post sarcastic remarks about people I know nothing about disguised as abstract, general aphorisms. It enables me to criticize others’ beliefs while maintaining an appearance of being a wiseman removed from the fray.

Not me. I prefer to post sarcastic remarks about people I know nothing about disguised as abstract, general aphorisms. It enables me to criticize others’ beliefs while maintaining an appearance of being a wiseman removed from the fray.[/quote]

:notworthy:

:bravo:[/quote]
I’m probably a lot more verbose than I should be, but…

I would be inclined to agree with that sentiment in a certain fashion - pragmatic one might say. I see the “realistic” approach, in people around me that I know personally, that a spouse might not get the loving attention he or she needs. So in some way, I do not condemn roundly the services that prostitution gives (as long as it’s not coerced… another issue). It’s well known that a satisfied male population is less prone to destroy society if they cannot divert their energies. Also, perhaps the wife in this case was desperate for work, or even enjoyed her work. However, that is not my point.

What I am passing judgment about, and what is clear from the facts, is that the couple could not withstand each other’s deceit (and perhaps each one’s shame) when confronted with the fact of infidelity and shame, and separated almost immediately even after 14 years of marriage. What the article does not mention is if they ruined other people’s lives (children, parents, friends) out of his selfishness or her whatever. What this also touches is the delicate balance between one’s personal desires and social harmony. So if you mean to say, there might be a lot of complexity behind the scenes, a lot of what-ifs, then I will grant you that, but then you would also be guilty of the same sentiment - judgment.

Oh, and it doesn’t reduce my anxiety. not in the least. that would be you passing judgment on me poorly.

Not me. I prefer to post sarcastic remarks about people I know nothing about disguised as abstract, general aphorisms. It enables me to criticize others’ beliefs while maintaining an appearance of being a wiseman removed from the fray.[/quote]

I like to confuse sarcastic remarks with abstract general aphorisms. It enables me to continue using big words while making no sense at all.

I like to confuse sarcastic remarks with abstract general aphorisms. It enables me to continue using big words while making no sense at all.[/quote]

Nice try bob, but Mother made perfect sense.

You will grant me that there “might” be more to the story of a fourteen year marriage than what could be gleaned from a newspaper article, but then I would be guilty of the same judgemental sentiment as who? I didn’t imply that you were being judgemental, I implied that dragonbones and mother teresa were being judgemental, this I concluded from their “serves the fucker right” comments. Of course it could be argued that I was being judgemental about them being judgemental and for this I have no recourse but to plead guilty. I hope to one day have my own reality TV show called “Judge Mental.” It will be a logic and grammar class wrapped in the guise of the abstract nonsensical and featuring a jury of bikini clad intellectuals etc.

Well although I am not disguised as anything, I still take up the challenge. So go ahead and post a sarcastic remark about me
:slight_smile:

I’m with bob. It’s possible it serves 'er right after all. Let’s not be sexist.

I’ve been married 8 years.
All I can say is that it’s one of the most contrived efforts known to humankind.
Far too many angles of politics, each angling in on the other.
It’s a damn vortex.

What’s love got to do with marriage?
In the real world, it means respect for the other half.
Compassion. Empathy. Belonging. All the sentient emotions.
Left to us by those mean-spirited gods.
++++++
love is a four letter-word.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]I’ve been married 8 years.
All I can say is that it’s one of the most contrived efforts known to humankind.
Far too many angles of politics, each angling in on the other.
It’s a damn vortex.

What’s love got to do with marriage?
In the real world, it means respect for the other half.
Compassion. Empathy. Belonging. All the sentient emotions.
Left to us by those mean-spirited gods.
++++++
love is a four letter-word.[/quote]

my uncle says marriage is simply offering up your life to be controlled by the state. it seems a well-reasoned argument to me. he and his are happily unmarried for a good many years.

Jack my boy, you need worry not. Satisfy your wife and your life will be good. Start learning some moves now.

Remember Russell Peters’ words, “Be a man. Do de wight fing.”

While I for my part enjoy mocking others in their misfortune.

[quote=“Jack Burton”][quote]WARSAW (Reuters) - A Polish man got the shock of his life when he visited a brothel and spotted his wife among the establishment’s employees. Polish tabloid Super Express said the woman had been making some extra money on the side while telling her husband she worked at a store in a nearby town.

“I was dumfounded. I thought I was dreaming,” the husband told the newspaper Wednesday.

The couple, married for 14 years, are now divorcing, the newspaper reported.[/quote]

reuters.com/article/newsOne/ … 2720080109

It’s supremely ironic and perhaps even karmic to find an unfaithful, whoring husband to find his wife working at a brothel he was going to use. or maybe I’m too idealistic about marriage, as one who has never taken the vows.

Here in China, the Taiwanese co-workers all seem to have a gf/mistress/favorite pro. Perhaps when I’m married, I might become cynical too.[/quote]

This story reminded me of a joke I heard in Taiwan.

A man was drowning his sorrows in a bar when friend came up and asked, “How’s it going?”

“Oh, terrible,” the man replied.

“Why”

“My wife and I just made love.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

“I forgot who I was with, and when I was finished, I handed her $20.”

“Oh, that’s bad.”

“But that’s not the worst.”

“What could be worse that that?” the friend asked.

“She gave me change.”