Life in Inverness

I searched this, so I feel relatively confident that there are no topics about this.

I do know that some of our Forumosan’s are Scots - So…There is a small chance I might be transferred to Inverness Scotland.

What is life there like:
Schools for kids? Public vs. Private -I’ve heard that they are quite good. Food? Housing? Cost of living? Ya know, the usuals. But also, and more importantly, what would it be like for a Taiwanese wife and two mixed race kids?

[quote=“Elegua”]I searched this, so I feel relatively confident that there are no topics about this.

I do know that some of our Forumosan’s are Scots - So…There is a small chance I might be transferred to Inverness Scotland.

What is life there like:
Schools for kids? Public vs. Private -I’ve heard that they are quite good. Food? Housing? Cost of living? Ya know, the usuals. But also, and more importantly, what would it be like for a Taiwanese wife and two mixed race kids?[/quote]

I watched a British movie a few weeks back on Hallmark where a guy was sent to Scotland to close oil rigs and he ended up staying and going into the whiskey business.

It made your potential venture look like fun. No Chinese wife and mixed kids involved though.

[quote=“Ironman”][quote=“Elegua”]I searched this, so I feel relatively confident that there are no topics about this.

What is life there like:
Schools for kids? Public vs. Private -I’ve heard that they are quite good. Food? Housing? Cost of living? Ya know, the usuals. But also, and more importantly, what would it be like for a Taiwanese wife and two mixed race kids?[/quote]

I watched a British movie a few weeks back on Hallmark where a guy was sent to Scotland to close oil rigs and he ended up staying and going into the whiskey business.

It made your potential venture look like fun. No Chinese wife and mixed kids involved though.[/quote]

Local Hero, yeah?
Sandman and I have commiserated in the past on our shared sentiment that we both come from (me, Western Canada) places that are wonderful to live…as long as you don’t have to find a job.
According to that, you may be sitting pretty.
Ask fryingsctosman

Beautiful area. Very provincial indeed.

ah hah. Good to see you are still alive. :sunglasses:

You back?

Fatter?

By how much?

We have a pool going.

Would you be so kind as to define provincial?

Coming from Maine in the US - I think I have an idea - but there is provincial and then there is provincial…

Your neighbours will probably be friendly and welcoming, but you won’t understand a word they say.

So…in other words it will be just like now in Taiwan? :laughing:

Take a look at a map and see how far north it is. And consider that civilization stops somewhere south of Glasgow…

I really like Inverness and the surrounding area, but I have only visited for about a week. If you are into outdoor stuff and the cold, then it will be fun.

I do love the outdoors. I do love the water (which looks quite pretty but I would guess would freeze your bollocks off) but cold?

I guess what I’m trying to ask is will my wife freak-out and will my kids be pariahs? My wife can handle Philthlydelphia and Maine quite well.

If you love the outdoors you’ll love it – loads of stuff to do year-round in that area. Cairngorms are 30 minutes away, the Western isles are about an hour’s drive.
By provincial I mean you’ll be living in a (very) small town.
If you don’t like tourists you’ll hate it there!
I just came back from three weeks very near there but it was starting to do my head in – personally I would find it difficult living in such a place because of the small-town provincialness of it (I’m talking about the whole of Scotland in general here – Inversneckie is a magnified version of that).
Schools I don’t know about, but the biggest slur your wife is likely to encounter is being mistaken for a tourist. :wink:

Thanks for that. Sounds consistent with what I know about Maine. Tight knit communities where 20 years on your still from “away” or “New York”. Tourist crowds in the summer…long winters…Well they say in Maine “if you cahnt stand the winta, ya don’t deserve the summah”

I’ve also heard that due to the boom and bust of industry and oil and the like that people are a bit…pessimistic …or is that just the nature of the Scottish?

[quote=“Elegua”]Thanks for that. Sounds consistent with what I know about Maine. Tight knit communities where 20 years on your still from “away” or “New York”. Tourist crowds in the summer…long winters…Well they say in Maine “if you cahnt stand the winta, ya don’t deserve the summah”

I’ve also heard that due to the boom and bust of industry and oil and the like that people are a bit…pessimistic …or is that just the nature of the Scottish?[/quote]
Only 20 years? Those Mainers must have short memories! 'Sneckie has tourists all year round – summer and winter sports. And Scots? Pessimistic? Whatever gave you that idea? :wink:

I lived in Scotland with my Taiwanese girlfriend for 14 months a year or two ago. I will offer up some comments and observations based on our experiences. First though the basics . . .

Scotland has a lot to offer by way of culture and history. There is a lot to do and see. It is a beautiful country. We lived in Edinburgh but traveled extensively throughout the country (we had a car). Our time in Inverness was limited to a night here or there so I cannot comment on the city other than to say when living in Scotland you should expect short winter days

Thanks for that.