Life on Penghu - Advice?

I would guess that it’s trickier to move up from the 600-700 rates in Penghu than in Taipei. Taipei English teaching entry rates can begin to grate after a few years.

Yes, but even English teaching entry rates are better than what most office jobs in Taiwan pay.

Is that still the case? The office jobs must be close to catching up by now. I’m only going on people I know, so could be well off the mark.

Is that still the case? The office jobs must be close to catching up by now.

As far as I’m aware, it is (it is for me and most foreign office workers I know in Taiwan, at least). But the government has been talking a lot about attracting more foreign talent lately, so hopefully this will change. I’m reasonably sure that the reason why the company I worked for found it so hard to attract and retain suitable foreign employees was because of the pay.

I always find it a bit of a headscratcher when companies end up in these sort of situations. Lol

Thanks for the tip Tango, the recommendation for seafood got me hungry for OT, stayed in Magong tho and ended up at this place…Screenshot_20180216-193218IMAG4774IMAG4774

Stupid question… Can you take a ferry from Taitung to Penghu… Or it’s not even in the same coast? And if it’s possible, what are the times and prices? And can you take a motorcycle on it?

I’ve never heard of her ferry that goes around the southern end of the island.
you can take a ferry from Taichung.

There must be ferries from Taichung to transport scooters and cars but maybe as transport not like daily travel.

Ok, so it’s the other island

English website of Penghu ferries (just to/from Chiayi and Kaohsiung):

https://www.penghu-nsa.gov.tw/English/TravelGuide/Transportation/FerriesInformation/FerriesFromTaiwanToPenghu.htm

I’m currently in Jiayi in a three floor 7-eleven that has an elevator.

3 Likes

Yes and no, during my search for work I couldn’t find any openings because it’s the middle of the school year BUT I was told by several schools that they typically keep employees for 1-2 years and usually have 1-2 positions open each year. 4-5 buxibans * 1-2 positions + 2 public schools * 1-2 positions. I’d say 8-10 spots open up each year on the island. Are there loads of teachers competing over these positions? I don’t think so.

So how are things going over there in Penghu @MrBeeTaiwan

We moved back to Taipei after a month in Penghu :slight_smile: We have decided to wait until I get into the government program at one of the public schools before we settle permanently.

On no, we were really enjoying your trip report. Anyway good luck on your adventure.

Did you confuse Penghu with Lanyu?

Cha i dien dien!

That’s too bad for us… :smiley: I really enjoyed reading this topic

A question to those that have lived there - just how unbearable are the winter winds? Like you hate every minute you’re outside unbearable? Or is it ok if you dress appropriately

there’s a lovely empanada joint tucked away downtown. the woman who owns it has an argentinian mother and shanghaian father-- first time i’ve been able to fluently communicate w someone on this island … in spanish!

2 Likes

Searching for “lovely empanada joint” Penghu doesn’t show up on google maps.

2 Likes