Life in Shanghai

ever heard of 4chan? and this is one only for the connoisseurs: forümosa :shushing_face:

I am told the food in Shanghai is several times better than typical Taipei fare.

I trust you’re not talking about Shanghainese food…it’s pretty mediocre.

2 Likes

Shanghai food is hit and miss. But it’s not like there aren’t 300,000 other restaurants to choose from.

No, food in general. I don’t actually know what characterizes Shanghainese cuisine.

Vinegar and sugar in everything.

so basically sweet and sour chicken. or pork or bat or rat…the list goes on and on

One of my favorite things to get in Shanghai was shou zhua bing. I was sort of expecting this to be available on every corner in Taipei. Sadly, meiyou. And the ones I’ve had here weren’t very great.

it is… its just called cong zhua bing here. its from taiwan actually. they never sold that in shanghai when i was living there, but you could get jian bings everywhere.

1 Like

That be a cong zhua bing jia dan in these parts. Can also add basil, veggies, and hot sauce at some stands.

4 Likes

i should clarify, they didn’t sell it when i was living there. but after i went back 6 years later i saw them selling them in these barrel shaped communist food stands. i saw a bunch of taiwanese influence there actually. theres even a restaurant called yong he da wang…which is selling fast food not. brekfast.

1 Like

Off you go to Breitbart, bye!

There is/was a little shop called Uncle Toast that delivered yummy Taiwan style dongxis. Then I moved to a new apartment which was too far away for delivery.

you couldn’t get this in taipei? they are literally available on every corner in taipei. it’s not my favorite and i wouldn’t know how they differ from the shanghainese ones.

2 Likes

There’s a few places around me, yes.

shanghai ones u can add hot dogs. they are hotdog obsessed over there i’m not even joking.

You mean hot dogs made from real dogs?

1 Like

Those would be more expensive…

to be fair, every taiwanese breakfast place offers hot dogs. deep-fried, fried, in a danbing. i just don’t like hot dogs all that much.