Life on Penghu - Advice?

Penghu has stunning beaches. Somehow they have always been largely overlooked.

3 Likes

Island teaching in Hujing this week. It’s a cute island about a 20 minute ferry ride from Magong. Lots of cats and goats. Ferry is 110nt and scooter is 150nt. The BnB I am staying at is 1400nt per night but the ferry leaves Magong at 11am and returns at 5pm. No need to stay overnight really unless you want to star gaze. I got lucky last night with a clear sky. The stars are amazing from here. I highly recommend Hujing for a short visit if you ever go island hopping around Penghu.

6 Likes

Some sample cats, goats and art in Hujing.

4 Likes

Air BnB and night time feel in Hujing.

4 Likes

I’m jealous. A couple of years ago (if I remember correctly) there was an ad for an English teacher for Wang’an. I was soooo tempted to apply because I love the little islands. I’m curious; do you have classes on Wang’an as well?

A few photos from a couple of trips to Wang’an…

wang an 04

8 Likes

Last year I taught at an island close to Wang An named Jiang Jun. I took a day trip to Wang An while I was there. The beaches are amazing. Wang An has a full time FET there now so no teaching trips there for the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

I have some questions about the fireworks festival:

1. The shows are every Monday and Thursday evening, but subject to weather. Is it common for a show to be outright canceled? What about postponed…would it then normally just be pushed back to the next night, assuming weather permits? I ask because I plan to go without my kids and I want to maximize my chances of seeing a show, while keeping my time away from the family to a minimum. So would I be pretty safe if I go for just two nights, the first night being the scheduled show, and the second night in case they have to postpone? Or would you recommend I stay 3 nights? Or even 4?

2. Is this the location of the show? (Well, the shoreside viewing area) https://maps.app.goo.gl/hPCvRdvHzfjxYNtVA

3. Are there any hotels with rooms or shared spaces that offer a view of the show? I’m assuming they’re sold out anyway, but just curious.

Thanks!!

1. Last year quite a few shows were cancelled because of the weather. If I remember correctly they are just moved to the next planned date.
  2. That’s the best place to have a view of the drone show. If you would just like to see the fireworks you can also see them from the sea road that runs up towards Xiwei.
2 Likes

Interested in doing a beginner’s scuba dive off Penghu. The tours are offered from 8am to 3pm. Is there a particular “best time” to scuba dive?