Life on the MRT 2023

I’ve noticed in a MRT map inside a train car that the first 3 stations (R02-R04) in the red line were a sticker. Looks like the R01 is coming soon.

3 Likes

I guess that mean MRT cars are going to be more crowded when they reach me coming from that area :tired_face:

I usually have plenty of seat options except at evening rush hour.

Thanks for the good news.

i think maybe it is a misprint. Xiangshan was always r02 and i don’t think there is enough space to put r01 under the sticker.

Same route reversed has different fare? Does time play a role? :thinking:

Is it possible that you reached the discount threshold with the first ride?

1 Like

I have no clue about MRT pricing system.

1 Like

I saw her this morning. She was occupying an aisle seat and as I approached her as I was going to the seats behind her, she squirmed and became visibly agitated and then continued expressing the agitation as I had the audacity to sit in the seats behind her. Double masked, gloved up and wearing eye goggles…for Omicron.

But she had no problems letting the Taiwanese lady in to the window seat.

Fuck you, Karen. :grin:

5 Likes

If you reach say 10, 20 rides a month etc. they start applying discounted fares. That might be what that is reflecting.

I do like 2 to 4 rides on Taipei MRT in a whole year. :grin:

1 Like

You or her? :grinning:

My student was telling me she got shouted at while walking outside maskless. My student just told her to call the police for her serious crime. I think they go after people they assume won’t fight back.

The Karen was with her husband. The husband just kept his head down. Probably relieved he wasn’t getting shouted at for five minutes.

3 Likes

Uffff… of course, because all foreigners, including the one that rides the bus regularly with her and evidently lives here, bring Covid from abroad :joy:.

2 Likes

Her.

2 Likes

I got nothing then!

I wonder if @slawa used a youbike before boarding the MRT at Zhongshan? If so, a discount is then applied to the MRT fare, bringing the cost down by NT$5, presumably to encourage people to use these systems in tandem.

Guy

8 Likes

That is it!!! I got 5 NTD discount for the way back, but for YouBike!

Makes a sum of 30 NTD each way. :brain:

Starting March 30, 2021, passengers renting a YouBike from any YouBike station in the Greater Taipei area receive a discount of NT$5 when using their EasyCard to transfer between YouBike and Taipei Metro, local buses (except buses that charge by distance) or Danhai LRT within one hour. In addition, a successful deduction record upon exiting a Metro gate is required to receive a transfer discount on a subsequent YouBike ride.

4 Likes

A bicycle is always the correct answer.

3 Likes

It’s a total mess. I have like 1000 NT$ cashback this two-three weeks, but it doesn’t show up until next month. I can see it but not use it. I normally use the monthly system (1280 NT$) but wanted to see if it was worth it. I have still no clue.

Definitely. The answer to a crushed skull.

Different people have different needs. But for life in Taipei, I’ve found youbike as a supplement to the MRT to be amazing. Thankfully no crushed skull so far!

Guy

7 Likes

I have no idea how it works, I can’t even tell anymore at the exit gate how much is left on my card because instead of flashing up the only two numbers (some would argue only one matters) i.e. how much this ride cost (not really needed) and how much is left on your card (the number that really matters) I now get 4 different numbers and with the person behind me already trying to get thro the gate I haven’t got the time to read it all carefully to figure out which one of the four is actually the only really useful one.

The new system is a mess and they should simplify it back to just two numbers again and just apply the discount so you get the odd free ride as a bonus.