Life on the MRT 2023

Because it’s a Scotch/Irish thing. Not a US/UK thing.

Sorry @jimipresley, no soup for you. Need to bring the pedantry machine to the repairman.

Four mistakes with this one. There is no ‘K’ in America. There is no country named ‘America’, much less ‘AmeriKKKa’, it is not proper form to have majuscule letters within the middle of the name, and three letters in a row is redundant and not used in English.

If you’re going to give people shit about the way they write, please ensure you have at least one leg to stand on.

3 Likes

She’s back! In the same seat too. Only one seat available. The window seat beside her. She exasperated loudly when I went to sit down. She is now sitting with her back faced towards me and legs in the aisle.

She keeps looking every so often to see if I am still there.

10 Likes

This woman seems to have some pretty serious mental issues. :neutral_face:

Guy

4 Likes

Come on, request to be beamed up.

2 Likes

Now I’m wondering if she remembers your face or is unable to do so and remembers you as a “generic foreigner”. If she sees you on a weekly basis, she should realize that you have the same probability of carrying covid as any Taiwanese. But maybe logic doesn’t apply to her. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Oh I’m sure she remembers me…

Well I took this back in 2011 when I was in Berlin…

You never see anything like this on the Taipei MRT…

Agreed, would be somewhat weird if the Taipei MRT stations had notices in German.

7 Likes

According to the plan, those living in Taipei, New Taipei, Keelung, and Taoyuan will be able to enjoy a NT$1,200 monthly pass. They can take unlimited rides across the region’s public transportation networks, including buses, intercity buses, metro systems, Taiwan Railway, and public bicycles,

This is pretty amazing for 1200 a month. Now includes trains

7 Likes

MRT are trains too. Not amazing really, and local commuter trains can be used instead of MRT, more convenient for people living in Taoyuan or Keelung.

2 Likes

For 1280 a month, it was already very good. Now the price is decreasing and the options are increasing. Amazing.

Just as a comparison. A one day travel card for London is 1000 nt. one day.

1 Like

This development is also being discussed here:

Guy

2 Likes

Taichung city’s Blue Line plan (2nd line) passed MOTC review and will be submitted to the Executive Yuan for review.

4 Likes

Oooh. New seats.

Red Line? Based on the (lack of) handles near the doors, those are among the oldest trains in the system, built in Yonkers, I think, in the 1990s. Nice to see some sort of refreshing . . .

Guy

1 Like

My Singaporean friend was telling me they have new cars in their MTR system… without seats, so more people can be squeezed in during rush hour. Not all cars in a single train though.

I told him that would not fly here, folks would revolt

1 Like

Some are calling for an increase in number of MRTs running from Tamsui station.

7 Likes

Maybe the real reason if money. Adding trains cost money. If they don’t already have enough trains plus reserve then they got to buy more. This requires both time and money.

Or the existing depot’s can’t support that many trains.

The non train part of Yingge MRT station has opened this weekend, which is mainly the link to the TRA station, as part of the re-opening of the Ceramics Park which has been a construction zone for the MRT and the still incomplete NTC Arts Museum for a few years. The MRT itself is at least a year off, there are still a couple of km of viaducts to be built at the Dingpu end.

7 Likes

Oops…