Life on the MRT 2024

I’ve been so out of the loop that I didn’t even know about this place, or if I did, I forgot about it. I just now looked it up on Wikipedia.

Edited to add: Whoa, Google says that by bus, Fisherman’s Wharf is almost two hours from where I’m at (Banqiao). But it says that by MRT, it takes a little longer than two hours. It looks interesting, but the ride there and back would be a bit much for this old, lazy guy.

Driving isn’t going to be necessarily faster though. That road along the river is always congested, and it’s the only way to get to danshui, though there are paths through the mountain, they are winding and easy to get lost in.

Actually if you want to get to fishermen’s wharf you would take the MRT, then go to Danshui station, and then take R26. The R26 bus runs every 5 minutes or less. It also takes a direct route to fishermen’s wharf instead of a roundabout way like the tram.

1 Like

Pretty sure Beimen is closer and has less level changes to swap from Airport Express to MRT. Even the TPE MRT Map implies Beimen is the better option and that Taipei Main and Taipei Man are two separate stations.

1 Like

They should just call the station “Taipei”. Is there another station in Taipei City on the Taoyuan airport line?

The terminal station of the HK Airport Express is just generically called Hong Kong, even though it’s connected to the Central station.

Not generically, it’s Hong Kong station, different from Central. Which is the same terminus of the tung Chung line. But they are still connected

Thanks for the info!

I mean the name “Hong Kong station” is generic. Instead of “Central North” or something more specific.

Overestimated. I just arrived from the airport and walking with the flow of the crowd from platform to main station ticket hall took only 8 minutes

2 Likes

It’s getting down to the Red Line pit (i.e. the north end of the Red Line platform) that takes more time—and is most likely to mystify newcomers. :grimacing:

Guy

1 Like

It takes me about 10 minutes. There’s a moving conveyor which can speed things up.

I remember getting off from the airport line and walking a long way to get to Beimen/green line. Thank goodness now I can connect to the Circular line and the walking is more reasonable…just a bit more elevators.

1 Like

The posh, “Upscale” East district metro station had two middle aged glue sniffers , sniffing up in the open in the east shopping plaza. Kind of gross looking for kids to see. I guess Lunar New Year means less security. There is something about glue sniffing that’s pretty dam gross. I’ve seen it before here but not recently and in such an “Upscale” area.

That is sad. I hope those people can get help.

Guy

2 Likes

I think they should take it outside to places where kids can’t see. I also think security wasn’t doing a good job. Yeah sad , and also sad for all the hurt they likely cause to others as well as themselves. It’s been fairly common in Taiwan but never usually in areas under the Taipei metro system surveillance.

2 Likes

I’ve seen people stumbling around in the middle of the day in Taitung City, veering too close to me (even more so than usual for spatially challenged people in Taiwan lol). They looked mentally off. I wonder if they were also sniffing glue.

If so, the fact they were not in some elite part of the capital did not make it any less sad.

Guy

1 Like

Is sniffing glue against the law? If not what can security do about it?

I don’t feel sad for them , just that it’s on the MRT it’s a place that should be secure , not a wasteland in the dark.

Perhaps they could get off their ass and Google it? Being Taiwanese it should be quite easy for them.

Huffers should be fairly easy to remove. Just a bit of a shove in the direction of choice and they’ll roll away like a snowball going downhill.

Probably why they’re there! :wink:

1 Like