Life on the MRT

As a bicycling enthusiast, I look forward to the day when I’m allowed to take my bike onto the MRT. They let you do that in London, and I believe the cars of the London Underground (the “Tube”) are less spacious than Taipei’s. (Can anyone corroborate that?) Currently, I’m only allowed to take the bike on as a piece of luggage (disassemble it and put into a bike bag). My bike is aluminum, but it still feels like hauling a piano every time I do it. :x

I agree about the need to allow bikes on the MRT. People could take their bikes to Hsintien and ride to Wulai or to Danshui and ride around there.

I think the only thing stopping it from happening is that not enough people in Taiwan ride bikes and there is not an effective bike lobby (if one exists at all).

I don’t think the carriages on the Mucha line could handle bikes though. On the other lines there shouldn’t be any problems.

Love the MRT. I think it is one of the best if not the best subway systems I’ve been on, and I’ve been on a lot. When they complete all the line it would be even more awesome.

I always use my phone in the last car, catching up on all the text messages of the day from Home, sending some to the parents, etc. I always keep it on silent mode…
So if the only reason for this last-car rule is not to disturb others, why do I always get these disapproving glances when I do it?
I really love the MRT though, especially as we have no real public transport back Home.

Twonavels wrote; "So if the only reason for this last-car rule is not to disturb others, why do I always get these disapproving glances when I do it? "

if you keep it on quiet mode, that’s cool. But maybe when you keep clicking on the text buttons, it makes a noise, a rather irritating clicking noise, that maybe bothers some other riders. It shouldn’t, but maybe it does. Or maybe they are just being hardasses. Ignore them and text away!

The reason why the use of cell phones is banned in the end carriages is because the radiation from cell phones could interfere with the functions of heart pacemakers. It has nothing to do with annoying people.

How do you know that’s why they’re banned there? Earlier, an MRT employee told me that the phone-free zones were about noise and politeness. When I asked another MRT employee earlier today I was told the same thing. Of course, that doesn’t mean that they definitely have the right story; but at least it’s the same story from people who work for the MRT.

Also, I don’t understand how people with pacemakers not being around mobile phones in certain cars of the MRT would make that big a difference in Taiwan, which has the world’s highest mobile-phone penetration rate. People with pacemakers would still have to pass through much the same crowds into and out of MRT stations. Moreover, I’ve seen no such regulations on buses, trains, etc.

If the end cars are indeed intended for people who are fitted with pacemakers then why aren’t there signs saying so?

Anyway, the cell-free cars aren’t exactly cell-free now are they?

All in all though, the MRT is a great step toward Taipei becoming a more “livable” city. I’ve been here three and half years and have yet to climb on a scooter in Taipei.

Yes, the majority of the trains on London’s tube are grubby, slow cramped, crowded shitholes. The platforms are grey, grimy, rat infested eyesores.

Are you sure you can take bikes on the tube? When I lived in London 5 years ago I never saw one. I don’t know how they’d fit on the cars ro how you’d get them to half of the platforms.

Brian

Bicycles if I remember correctly are not allowed on the tube. But I did see messengers carry on those fold-up jobbies with the samll wheels.

Try taking these passers-by to court when your relative croaks…

Love it - wish it stayed open later or even 24 hours - that would save me 6,000 a month in taxi fares!

That is such a valid point. Although the noise is probably an issue. But then again maybe not. Nobody seems to care too much about noise here, now do they?

I agree tonygo at least an extension of hours, maybe until around 2am or so, I feel that is reasonable. I have mixed feelings about a 24 hour service.

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]Are you sure you can take bikes on the tube? When I lived in London 5 years ago I never saw one. I don’t know how they’d fit on the cars ro how you’d get them to half of the platforms.[/quote]Maybe the rules have been changed, but when I was in London some 12 years ago as a tourist, I saw someone bringing a bike (whole, not folded) on board. Maybe you’re allowed to do so at off-peak hours. They can easily institute that on Taipei’s MRT, say from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm bikes can be brought on the first and last cars where there’s plenty of room around the handicap area.

I think most public transportation in most countries end service at around midnight. Not quite sure what the reason is, probably employees have to go home, or maybe to save money on operation costs, and maybe the most important reason is to prevent homeless people from hanging out in the subway cars/stations.

I generally love it, but those escalators!

I should like to know why they persist in turning off and conducting maintenance on the escalators on a daily basis. Could they not do that when the station closes? Imagine if Sogo did the same.

And have you noticed the number of warnings and cautions plastered all over them. Apparently they are “too fast” for some.

[quote=“Soddom”] but those escalators! . . . And have you noticed the number of warnings and cautions plastered all over them. Apparently they are “too fast” for some.[/quote]Yeah, they move at the alarming speed of “39 meters per minute.” Whatever that means? :?

The escalators are the place that you can easily spot the out of towners–those standing on the left side not knowing to yield. Major pet peeve :x

It means that every minute, the step you’re on travels 39 meters. :wink:

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

or 2.340 km per hour