Life without a bike

[quote=“Persephone”]I’m afraid to ride a [color=brown]bicycle [/color]in traffic because I tend to drift in whatever direction I turn my head. From what I’ve heard so far, Taipei does not sound like a good place to start learning how to ride a motorbike.[/quote]From what you’ve said, I do think you’d find riding any two-wheeler here a bit intimidating, although as Tash said you don’t really know until you get here.

[quote=“Persephone”]However, if I change my mind when I get there, how difficult would it be for me to get a license? I’m not sure I’ll have time to take lessons and pass the test before I leave here.[/quote]Well, any form of western-style driver training you could get while still in the States would be very useful, but as for the actual license then you might as well get a TW one. As Dangermouse said, there’s lots of useful information on this in the “Vroom, vroom” section.

If you do decide to get a US license then make sure you get an International Driving Permit/License before you come to Taiwan. See this thread for further information:
[Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits