Lifehouse Church on Meetup

This comment is no longer accurate >> Lifehouse Church Taipei lists events on Meetup like free language exchange, free kids English class, free movie, etc. but does not tell anyone that it is actually a church.

That’s all good stuff but they should be honest and truthful that it is a church and even better the mission and beliefs of the church and purpose of event.

Cults trick people into things.

Meetup.com is a commercial service and app that provides free listings for people to list events.

As long as the fact that they are a church affects dramatically the contents or development of those events, I don’t see why they MUST declare who they are. I mean, it’s a bit sneaky, but not terrible. Unless they use it as an excuse for annoying you or trying to abduct you.

1 Like

Should of guessed that a jesus would be the first to make himself known on the subject.

And I’m sure Jesus would agree that his church (if it is) should be above reproach.

It’s basically a church committing fraud. They advertise one thing with the intention of something else.

Did you attend any of those activities? what was their user name? what happened in the meetup?

2 Likes

You took that out of context. This is talking purely about a unique situation on Meetup where they never say it’s a church. They just have a name of an event coordinator called Lifehouse.

It could be a travel coordinator or travel agency or live music bar or something which would all be within the mission of the event.

It’s just marketing. Christians can be annoying and nag a lot, but they’re generally harmless.

Looks like they’ve updated their invites to reflect “hosted by Lifehouse Taipei International Church”.

So the title of this thread will be changed.

Well at least it’s not flirty fishing…

Now, see, that might be worth showing up for…

I’ve personally visited Lifehouse church once and keep updated with their events through social media, as I am not in Taipei right now. From personal experience, the intention is most likely not to mislead people, but they do host these events to just get to know people and offer this for the community, and if locals happen to be interested, they are a church that they can check out. But the events aren’t a trap where they label it as something and then it’s otherwise, it’s really just people getting together to watch a movie and have language exchange. Maybe some mention of who they are, and if people are interested, then they can go from there. Overall, I don’t believe it’s in any way intended to trick people; there’s no forcing you to convert or pushing their values on you.

1 Like