Lifting Self-Imposed Restrictions on the U.S.-Taiwan Relationship - US State Department

8 Likes

A meaningful piece of bureaucratic streamlining that is!

Today’s statement recognizes that the U.S.-Taiwan relationship need not, and should not, be shackled by self-imposed restrictions of our permanent bureaucracy

What are some of these sanctions?

• political representatives can freely and officially visit Taiwan
1 Like

Additionally, any and all sections of the Foreign Affairs Manual or Foreign Affairs Handbook that convey authorities or otherwise purport to regulate executive branch engagement with Taiwan via any entity other than the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) are also hereby voided. The executive branch‘s relations with Taiwan are to be handled by the non-profit AIT, as stipulated in the Taiwan Relations Act.

:ponder: :idunno:

1 Like

Hurrah for U.S.-Taiwan relations!

2 Likes

Great to see that Taiwan is recognized as one of the key partners in Asia with the United States.

3 Likes

Fuck yeah! :grin:

1 Like

Going to be very interesting to see how the Biden administration deals with this one. The good news is that it could offer insight into his China and Taiwan policies.

1 Like

I can’t see reasons why the Biden administration would go back on the changes instituted by the Trump administration vis-a-vis Taiwan. I don’t see him escalating or devoting political capital to it, either, but why not take advantage of one of the few things Trump got right?

We might think this is one of the things Trump got right, but will the Biden administration see it that way?

Because of the nature of this election, Biden was able to run without revealing a whole lot of detailed foreign policy positions. So we don’t really know where he stands on China, Taiwan, etc. beyond vagaries and platitudes.

How he responds to this, or doesn’t, might reveal some of his thinking on the China-Taiwan issue.

1 Like

I am confident that this is the right way to see it, and that he will have a process to choose people who know enough to also see it this way. I don’t see Taiwan as high on the list of his personal priorities, though.

Fair enough, this is a problem with elections and politicians. It might be a strength when it comes to actually dealing with China, though. Either way, I see him as neither a warmonger nor a pushover. Only time will tell.

If and when he responds, yes I guess then we will know more

I hope this is paving the way to recognition as a country in the next week.

5 Likes

Good- the restrictions were wrong in the first place. If only Canada would follow along- too much money from China, I guess.

1 Like

Great move by Pompeo, hopefully Biden keeps sending diplomats there. Maybe even a visit himself :smirk:

1 Like

Did the man actually said " these restrictions were set in place to appease China"?

Oh boy. :rofl:

The one I can see coming here is Trump. And that would be a disaster, but entertaining.

4 Likes

I think this may just be the last chance to stir the pot by the trump administration. Kinda egging China on to do something about it, as supposed to an altruistic motive.

I wonder what the response will be. Hopefully not a military response.
That said if China ends up doing nothing, not even a sanction, then it’s safe to say nothing will ever happen. This is a pretty firm step over China’s red line

I agree, the idea that the current administration would act altruistically seems very far fetched, feels more like Pompeo 2024

That seems like overkill per the announcement. I think the red line is statehood, and this announcement stops short of that. It is a definite f-you to China, no doubt, but I think for China there is too much risk of escalation beyond their control. Of course there will be posturing and probably more scrambling of jets, but I think not blockades or missiles

2 Likes

Indeed.

As we say in Spanish, these people “do not help without drawing blood”. They do not do anything without calculating how to inflict damage and at the same time get maximum benefits.

1 Like

I hope not. That would be a very thorny wicket for Taiwan to welcome Trump under the current circumstances. It would no doubt piss off China, but it could also complicate matters with the incoming administration.

1 Like

Yes, and Trump can add a LINE account to message others

more news from the BBC [Pompeo: US to lift restrictions on contacts with Taiwan - BBC News] Pompeo: US to lift restrictions on contacts with Taiwan - BBC News