Lindsey Lohan calls Obama "our first colored president"

Because in “our society”, celebrity is celebrated to such an extravagant degree whether you are an adulterous rockstar, an idiot politician, or in this case, a drunken, half-assed movie star - I bring you Lindsey Lohan’s wisdom:

[quote]Lindsay Lohan referred to President-elect Barack Obama as the country’s “first colored president” in an interview on “Access Hollywood.”
Describing her experience on Election Day, Lohan said:

[b]"It was really exciting. It's an amazing feeling. It's our first colored president."[/b][/quote]

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081112/ap_ … o1uMgnHL8C

FYI, she is said to have supported Obama’s election.

What’s wrong with that? Are you not allowed to say “coloured” in America?

I’m shocked! That’s racist. She referred to the color of his skin. Can she do that? That’s cultural insensitivity. I bet the Euros and Aussies wouldn’t understand. What a great subject for a thread.

Btw, I once saw a photo of her with no panties and you could see her vagina.

Actually, I’m just surprised she’s not so coked up, that she actually knows:

(a) the US has a “president”; and

(b) they just elected a new guy named Obama.

You crackers crack me up.

I think you’re not allowed to say vagina. It’s sexually insensitive in some circles. Freckles, though. Damn! She’s covered in freckles. I mean, she’s practically coloured herself in terms of surface area.

It was prominently employed decades ago by what is agreed to be in a racist way by racist people, so it’s considered offensive today. Is it not so in the U.K.?
encarta.msn.com/dictionary_18615 … ition.html

So apparently Lindsay Lohan has the right attitude, but she just wasn’t taught or conditioned right how to talk about her perfectly respectable thoughts on the matter.

Here is usage note in American Heritage:

No, that’s not why it’s considered offensive. After all, Black is an acceptable term today (though it wasn’t a decade ago). Neither do I think Lohan is racist based on the context. Just ignorant or confused perhaps.

Never heard of this “Lindsey Lohan”. Why should I care what some dumb prick I’ve never heard of says? His opinion means nothing to me. :idunno:

You’re certainly “allowed” to say it (i.e. there’s no law against it), but the term fell out of favor decades ago and is widely frowned on. Its use is generally confined to Archie Bunker types.

It was prominently employed decades ago by what is agreed to be in a racist way by racist people, so it’s considered offensive today. Is it not so in the U.K.?
encarta.msn.com/dictionary_18615 … ition.html

So apparently Lindsay Lohan has the right attitude, but she just wasn’t taught or conditioned right how to talk about her perfectly respectable thoughts on the matter.

Here is usage note in American Heritage:

No, that’s not why it’s considered offensive. After all, Black is an acceptable term today (though it wasn’t a decade ago). Neither do I think Lohan is racist based on the context. Just ignorant or confused perhaps.[/quote]

So how should she have referred to Mr. Obama? The first (fill the gap) ________________ president.

I’m not taking the piss here. What would be the PC way to refer to Mr. Obama’s race/ethnicity?

:astonished: I’ve never known black to be considered offensive.

[quote=“Anubis”]So how should she have referred to Mr. Obama? The first (fill the gap) ________________ president.

I’m not taking the piss here. What would be the PC way to refer to Mr. Obama’s race/ethnicity?[/quote]
If by “PC” you mean “not rude”:

Easy: “black” or “African-American”.

The only thing surprising is that someone obviously not racist, and young to boot, would use a word that has been out of favor for decades. But then wasn’t Lohan raised in Africa with a bunch of wild animals?

Sad girl. Brilliant child actress (see The Parent Trap) but absolute adutl basket case.

:astonished: I’ve never known black to be considered offensive.[/quote]
At one time recently, the polysyllabic African American was considered euphemistic of black…according to white liberals. I don’t think black people ever had a problem with it, generally. One of the problems with that is what do you call native South Africans that became American citizens who were…white?

If she were raised in South Africa, then that probably explains it. She was using the British term, which isn’t offensive. Polite PC language for race is like a nervous twitching in the States reflecting our own discomfort about the issue.

Did she say anything about the handsome negress that we have as a first lady?

If she were raised in South Africa, then that probably explains it. She was using the British term, which isn’t offensive. Polite PC language for race is like a nervous twitching in the States reflecting our own discomfort about the issue.[/quote]

That’s right. In much of Africa, “coloured” refers to people of mixed black and white origin (or black/Asian, etc. etc.). It is not offensive there.

“African-American” was preferred around the 1990s at the height of politically correct hyper-hyphenization. Many people later began to say “black” as a catch-all because not all blacks in the U.S. are or consider themselves of African descent, or they might not be American. Maybe they’re Australian or Brazilian or Dominican, etc.
…and yet for some reason the NAACP has never seemed inclined to change their name.

Besides, Obama’s only 1/2 black, so Lohan was actually more accurate than most. Perhaps “tinted” would have been more acceptable? “Nicely tanned”? …Oh wait… already covered that one.

:astonished: I’ve never known black to be considered offensive.[/quote]
At one time recently, the polysyllabic African American was considered euphemistic of black…according to white liberals.[/quote]
Which white liberals might that be? Certainly none I’ve ever known (and I’ve known a lot…my hometown is, after all, Berkeley, CA). And I myself am a white liberal, as are the members of my immediate family.

(I’m always amused when people ascribe some trait to liberals, which I know from extensive personal experience not to be true.)

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Anubis”]So how should she have referred to Mr. Obama? The first (fill the gap) ________________ president.

I’m not taking the piss here. What would be the PC way to refer to Mr. Obama’s race/ethnicity?[/quote]
If by “PC” you mean “not rude”:

Easy: “black” or “African-American”.[/quote]

By “PC” I mean politically correct.

So, it’s OK to say “black”, but not OK to say “coloured”? :loco: