Lindsey Lohan calls Obama "our first colored president"

me thinks, when I get up tomorrow morning, this thread will have gotten up to 7 pages. All on the discourse of using:

“tanned”
“African American”
“black”
“Negro”
The n-word.

All by a bunch of white furrieners. Black folks ain’t had this much attention since the O.J. and Rodney King trials… :beatnik:

If Obama turns out to be a good president, we can call him “half white, and raised by whitey” :slight_smile:

No they may say that’s why he turned out to be a good president… :s :beatnik:

:laughing:

[quote=“Chris”]
Which white liberals might that be? Certainly none I’ve ever known (and I’ve known a lot…my hometown is, after all, Berkeley, CA). And I myself am a white liberal, as are the members of my immediate family.

(I’m always amused when people ascribe some trait to liberals, which I know from extensive personal experience not to be true.)[/quote]
I can’t believe you never heard about this. Okay, maybe it was two decades ago, in the 80s.
Why I’m Black, Not African American
dated 2004

[quote]
It’s time we descendants of slaves brought to the United States let go of the term “African American” and go back to calling ourselves Black - with a capital B…

So, we will have a name for ourselves - and it should be Black. “Colored” and “Negro” had their good points but carry a whiff of Plessy vs. Ferguson and Bull Connor about them, so we will let them lie. “Black” isn’t perfect, but no term is.

Meanwhile, the special value of “Black” is that it carries the same potent combination of pride, remembrance and regret that “African American” was designed for. Think of what James Brown meant with “Say it loud, I’m Black and I’m proud.” And then imagine: “Say it loud, I’m African American and I’m proud.”

Since the late 1980s, I have gone along with using “African American” for the same reason that we throw rice at a bride - because everybody else was doing it. But no more. From now on, in my writings on race I will be returning to the word I grew up with, which reminds me of my true self and my ancestors who worked here to help make my life possible: Black.[/quote]

[quote=“jotham”]

[quote]
It’s time we descendants of slaves brought to the United States let go of the term “African American” and go back to calling ourselves Black - with a capital B…[/quote][/quote] :bravo:

Yes indeed. I hope to see this one day. No more “b” but a big ole fat
B
. If Latinos and Hispanics can have capitalization, then until I’m just called American, I’ll take the B.

If she were raised in South Africa, then that probably explains it. She was using the British term, which isn’t offensive. Polite PC language for race is like a nervous twitching in the States reflecting our own discomfort about the issue.[/quote]

Uh dude, no, I was joking. That’s the premise of one of her movies. Didn’t the “raised with wild animals” sound any alarms for you? :laughing:

What’s truly absurd is that, while it’s rude to say “colored person”, it’s “acceptable” by many to use the grammatically equivalent term “person of color”. Now that’s :loco: and it’s the primary reason I dislike that term.

It might be acceptable if you spelled it right. There’s no “u” in colored. :wink:

[quote=“jotham”]I can’t believe you never heard about this. Okay, maybe it was two decades ago, in the 80s.
Why I’m Black, Not African American
dated 2004[/quote]
I remember when the term “African-American” was first advanced (it was around 1985). But I don’t remember anyone suggesting it should supplant the word “black”, and never encountered anyone, black or white or other, who said that “black” was now a disfavored word. The introduction of “African-American” did push the previously common term “Afro-American” into obscurity, though.

Aren’t we all coloured, deep down inside?

That’s what I like to see. :bravo:

No, if he succeeds as president, he will be known as “half white.”

If he screws up, then he will be known as the “black president.”

I posted this as a joke; i can’t believe we’re up to p.4.

:laughing:

Well, whenever there’s one post saying “Can you believe so-and-so called Obama a (insert insult here)”, and someone else responds by saying “I didn’t know (insert insult here) was an insult”, the thread is bound to grow long!

we are all coloured. we are all SKIN coloured. (and yes, MT, it IS spelt with a U. get over it.)

i am not white, i am a pale flesh colour, though sometimes a light brown, depending on how much sun i have seen lately.

Actually the OP seems to indicate that ‘Lindsey Lohan’ is a she. But your point still stands. The only celebrity comment I’ve read recently which was worth reading was an excellent letter by Natalie Hershlag.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]The only thing surprising is that someone obviously not racist, and young to boot, would use a word that has been out of favor for decades. But then wasn’t Lohan raised in Africa with a bunch of wild animals?

Sad girl. Brilliant child actress…[/quote]

Pretty decent looking vagina, too…

Can’t we just say Obama is the 44th American president and be done with it?

That’s what I like to see. :bravo:[/quote]
She’s ALL over People Magazine for christ’s sakes! And Hello! Magazine too. What’s the MATTER with you people? Don’t you follow the news at all? She’s even had her bare twat out for the delectation of her fans. What MORE can she do?

White people are: -
red when we blush
white when scared
brown when tanned
green when sick

Surely we are the coloured ones?

P.S. Firefox kindly tries to correct the spelling to American (when will we identify that as a language?)
P.P.S Sandman not everyone considers those publications to be news (although my wife does)