Linguistic Barriers in Chinese to Learning English

It is my opinion that exposure to different perspectives and techniques is both interesting and informative. As a newish ESL teacher with no focused training beyond a TEFL, I can tell you that this type of thread is really quite valuable. Not to be all Kumbaya, or something, but please don’t stop sharing your experience!

I want to try and chip in a little bit! We all know that students learn in different ways. What is highly productive for one student, may produce mediocre results in another. For example, some of my students prefer and really seem to thrive on explicit grammar, followed by monitored written application, followed by discussion. Others prefer to speak and listen, do not want to write except to take jot notes, and do not seem to require or desire too much explicit reinforcement.

Perhaps in this case it is only their preferences I am seeing, rather than a reflection of which type of teaching is objectively better for them as learners, but I’m sure you can still see my point.[/quote]

Yeah, why not just let fly? I mean, it might not be wise to cuss each other out or anything like that. :laughing: But why not just write your opinions? There are some other posters who might have missed this thread because they’re out doing weekend stuff. Maybe they’ll add something later today or on Monday. Maybe ironlady will add some more, or Joesox, or tomthorne, or some of the others. And of course, that doesn’t mean you guys should stop.

It’s a good thread. :thumbsup:

I’ll add my own little blast from the past:

[quote]. . . the negative transference (interference) from Chinese is strong. This includes phonological transference. Standard Mandarin has only three final consonants that I know of, but among some speakers here, Mandarin seems to have as few as one final consonant, n. There is a strong tendency here to reject final consonants.[/quote] What Am I Doing Wrong? - #8 by Charlie_Jack

And I might add to the above, the tendency to insert vowel sounds between consonant clusters/consonant blends (or whatever your favored term is), because I guess Mandarin speakers have few or none (except perhaps when they’re speaking rapidly). And English is loaded with consonant blends/clusters, so it’s a pretty big challenge in that regard for some learners here.

The above are probably obvious to you guys, but I just thought I’d mention them.