Links for Religion and Spirituality

Read the Bible in One Year

I just thought it was kind of cute. Everyday it gives you some OT, some NT, and some Psalms to read and 365 days later, you get the whole thing. I started last month, so I already know how it ends.

I had to read this a few times before I got it. :laughing: :laughing:

I can’t wait for the part where it goes: “And Zebediah begat Obadiah, and Obadiah begat Mobadiah, and Mobadiah begat …”

You won’t have to wait long. Genealogies are a recurring motif.

There’s a Dàodéjing here. This site’s a bit confusing, so I bet there are better ones. This one is in a lot of different languages.

I like to read it just to blow my mind.

Now the Huffington Post has a religion section.
huffingtonpost.com/news/religion
It’s for believers and non-believers alike.

But Forumosa had one first. Arianna is such a copycat.

Today there was an interesting article on Buddhism.

huffingtonpost.com/sharon-sa … 74081.html

Personally, I enjoyed studying Buddhism in a sterile academic setting. I respected the middle way. But once I came to Taiwan and experienced it firsthand, my ideals were shattered. People here were no different from the churchgoers back home, expecting miracles, salvation, and proof of their own religious superiority.

Buddhism’s wonderful. But it’s generally mixed in with whatever was in a country or culture before. Chinese mahayana is generally pretty batshit because it’s got the elements of popular Taoism, which provide X for the needs of the people. In the same way that Jesus is thought good but Christian churches might be awful. Babies and bathwater.

I think you will be hard pressed to find the ‘wonderful’ Buddhism outside of a textbook.

Well, that is the same with any religion. Religion is the human impulse to create comfort in liminal circumstances, and to express our ideals, both individually and as groups. It’s human, not divine. It will always be flawed and full of dirt. That’s no reason to reject it. It’s part of our humanity. Christianity adapted to the cultures it landed in - Mary cults in southern Europe, focus on Jesus in Europe: both relate to the influence of the religions before Christianity.

The Theravada tradition always resonated more with me, for some reason.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Read the Bible in One Year

I just thought it was kind of cute. Everyday it gives you some OT, some NT, and some Psalms to read and 365 days later, you get the whole thing. I started last month, so I already know how it ends.[/quote]

Does it have a happy ending?

Naw. It’s kind of cool, though. Eco-disaster, dragons, four guys on horses, a hoor, sea lions x 7, brass section, winged d00ds, etc. And material for the Kiwis. It’s the ultimate in purple prose.

I’m reading Seth through Jane Roberts right now. THAT dude knows his apples for sure. Belief creates reality and all that.

besetbynothing.com/

Not fond of paragraphing or non-epilepsy-inducing colour schemes, but it’s inch-resting.

What’s your pleasure? Christianity?

ccel.org/

Gnosticism?

gnosis.org/library.html

Misc. Western esotericism?

esotericarchives.com/
alchemywebsite.com/

Theosophy?

blavatskyarchives.com/
agniyoga.org

Gaudiya Vaishnavism?

vedabase.net/en

Sikhism?

gurugranthdarpan.com/
sikhs.org/english/eg_index.htm

Alevism?

alevibektasi.org/xalevis1.htm

Baha’i B’rith?

bahai-library.org/index.php?langu=en-US

SubGenius?

subgenius.com/pam1/pamphlet_p1.html

Time Cube?

timecube.com

This brief animated guide explains what a scholarly journal is, and how to identify them. Here are some links to lists or collections of free online scholarly journals:

These are sources useful for researching religious topics:

• JANES (Journal of Ancient Near East Studies, useful for archaeological information)
  • Quodlibet (Christian journal on Biblical interpretation, theology, science, and social issues)
  • JASA (extremely useful journal on the interaction between science and the Bible, written by Christians, many of whom have scientific training)
  • iTanakh and The New Testament Gateway (two online resources aimed at providing material at an undergraduate level or higher for the study of the Old Testament and New Testament/Christian origins, respectively)

Textual criticism (the study of the textual context of the Bible, rather than what it means), is a hotly debated issue, concerning which most people are almost completely ignorant. On this topic I would recommend the site Evangelical Textual Criticism. It’s a ‘forum for people with knowledge of the Bible in its original languages to discuss its manuscripts and textual history from the perspective of historic evangelical theology’. It is not an amateur blog (membership is by application only, restricted to evangelicals actively involved in textual criticism). Two main figures responsible are Peter Head and Tommy Wasserman.

Examples of the material which is featured in ETC include:

[ul]
[li] Review of Ehrman’s ‘Misquoting Jesus’[/li]
[li] Checking patristic citations cited in NA27[/li]
[li] The Houghton Library (Harvard) papyri online[/li]
[li] Discussion of possible linguistic problems in Heb 6v9[/li]
[li] Inerrancy and textual criticism[/li][/ul]

Although written by and for academic textual critics, it is not entirely inaccessible. The book reviews are in fact quite useful, as are the pointers to upcoming scholarly papers.

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Exhaustive, free, and peer reviewed. World famous, internationally recognized within the scholarly community, and contains information on a broad range of topics well beyond simply philosophy.

TalkOrigins for reliable information on evolution, and articles on the interface between evolution and religion (FAQ).