Linux Learner ... eager but ignorant!

:bulb: Is there anyone here trying out Linux?

I’ve been experimenting with it but having lots of problems getting it up and running.

I was wondering if there’s anyone else interested in Linux…

Kenneth

Knoppix - Linux on a bootable CD - is now being given away with mags in convenience stores. Is it really not going to do anything nasty to my hard disks with MS Windows 98 on them? I just need a bit of assurance here before I take the plunge.

Kenneth, you and any other Linux beginners are very welcome to attend the next meeting of TLUG_en at 1:30 PM 16 November at PCSchool (30, Gongyuan Rd. Taipei above McDonalds about 1 block north of the NTU Hospital Subway stop).

A bit of background and an update: TLUG_en started out as a suggestion on this board in January. We held three or four meetings on weekday evenings which were poorly attended. Then Andrew Lee, a leading Debian user in Taiwan, got involved and the meetings were moved to PCSchool on Saturdays.

As originally conceived, TLUG_en was intended to be a supportive forum for beginners conducted in English (hence the en). However, almost no English-speaking beginners ever showed up whereas lots of experienced Taiwanese and some experienced foreign hackers did. This is partly because TLUG (Taipei’s LUG) is apparently defunct and partly because our distribution of choice, Debian, tends to appeal more to system administrators and programmers rather than beginners. Nonetheless, I would encourage anybody with an interest in Linux to attend. This is a great opportunity to learn from some very experienced people and there are enough English speakers to help everybody. Just don’t be shy. It would also be a good idea to go to the main Debian site and do a little reading just so you have some background. You should also burn a startup CD if possible.

There are also lots of great Linux resources in Taiwan including the boards at linux.org.tw

Hope to see you there.

Feiren

[quote=“Feiren”]Kenneth, you and any other Linux beginners are very welcome to attend the next meeting of TLUG_en on 16 November at PCSchool (30, Gongyuan Rd. Taipei above McDonalds about 1 block north of the NTU Hospital Subway stop).

A bit of background and an update: TLUG_en started out as a suggestion on this board in January. We held three or four meetings on weekday evenings which were poorly attended. Then Andrew Lee, a leading Debian user in Taiwan, got involved and the meetings were moved to PCSchool on Saturdays. As originally conceived, TLUG_en was intended to be a supportive forum for beginners conducted in English (hence the en). However, almost no English-speaking beginners ever showed up whereas lots of experienced Taiwanese hackers did. This is partly because TLUG (Taipei’s LUG[/quote]

Thanks for the information,b ut only some of it was posted… BTW, what time is the meeting?

Kenneth

See my edited post above.

The November TLUG_en meeting has been rescheduled from 16 November to 23 November. Please see the events calendar for the place and time.

Anyone who thinks they can handle a lecture about Linux in Chinese, click here. Several locations - all on Tuesday 31 December 2002 - free.

I found an answer to my query about Knoppix:[quote]In its default configuration, Knoppix sets all of your Windows hard drive partitions as “read only,” so it is an exceptionally safe Linux distribution for the absolute beginner. The drives can easily be set to allow writing (to FAT or FAT32 drives only) after you get to know the system a bit and wish to save your work.[/quote]Source: Knoppix Linux review in PC Buyers’Guide

Now I feel confident to try it out. If anyone else wants to try it, you can contact me to borrow and/or copy the CD.

There are a number of cd based Linux distributions and live cds:

distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=cd

After you fall in love with Knoppix, you may want to install it on your hard drive:

(By David McNab <david@freenet.org.nz. From google cache 216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:Cc … n&ie=UTF-8)

[quote]
To get Knoppix installed onto your hard drive:

1. Boot the Knoppix CD.

2. When the boot prompt comes up, choose your language.
    Most of us speak English, so we’ll type:
    boot: knoppix lang=en then press ENTER (you don’t type the ‘boot:’ part, of course)

3. Wait till the system is fully launched, including the KDE desktop

4. Press CTRL-ALT-F1, to get a root console. You should see a shell prompt

5. Type: knx-hdinstall

6. Follow the guided installation menus. This will include:

* Creating a Linux partition (at least 2.5GB
    * Creating a Linux Swap partition (at least 256MB)
    * 'Mounting' the Linux partition as root
    * Initialising the swap partition
    * Copying all the required files (automatically)
    * Setting up networking
    * Setting passwords
    * Setting up the bootloader (Note: take care with this stage - it could render your system incapable of booting into Windows. If you really need Windows, then it might be a good idea to set up GRUB Bootloader with a 'chainloader' entry, so that you can dual boot. Working this out is an exercise left to the reader - there are too many possible scenarios for me to cover in this short guide. Also see man grub and the files in /usr/share/doc/grub)
    * Rebooting (without the CD)

7. When you’ve rebooted Knoppix from your hard disk, click on the KDE Control Centre icon in the launcher at the bottom of the screen (icon of a colour monitor with a card in front of it)

8. Within the Control Center, click on Personliche Einstellungen

9. Click on Land und Sprache

10. Choose the locale and language of your choice

11. Click on Andwenden at bottom of that window

12. Close and restart the Control Center

13. Click on Peripherals, then Keyboard, and choose your preferred keyboard layout (which will probably be US.English. Click OK and close the window

14. Press CTRL-ALT-F2 to get to the root console, and log in as root (using the password you chose when you ran the installer)

15. (Optional) - type apt-get update (followed by ENTER). This will update your list of available packages, and takes about 5-10 minutes.

16. Hey, presto, you’ve got a fully installed GNU/Linux desktop[/quote]

I just came across another Linux-on-a-CD - Dynebolic.

For CD-based Linux distros, check:

distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=cd

And for Linux-on-a-FLOPPY:
toms.net/rb/

Great for data recovery.

is it possible to install a linux distro on a mac ie dual boot?

Yes. Download Yellowdog Linux from yellowdoglinux.com/