Linyuan, Kaohsiung

So how about coffee/drinks at Dounutes next Sunday?

A lot of the trains don’t stop there. I rode my bike down there once. The people in those villages up the river valley looked at me like I had just descended from the moon.

2 Likes

At Fangliao

1 Like

Here is your area of noeth pingrung and south kaouhsiung from a southern POV.

Note the couple clouds in case those annoying people claiming fog or some other bullsh*t run their trap.

The only way to dral with the pollution is to move, it is insanely horrible there…in the meantime do you part to try not to contribute more to the problem, and encourage others to do the same. It is that bad because of all of us.

I used to live there for a decent amount of years, so not just pointing fingers. The west is beyond healthy repair, so i left. My lungs are permanently fugged, even now constantly having problems after 4 years gone. Dont wait too long…

3 Likes

@Explant
My lungs got seriously fugged too but moving to a clean air area for a few months fixed it. In Kaohsiung and Taichung I had serious asthma that went away when I left. Perhaps some people get permanent damage.

2 Likes

That is wonderful. Happy it cleared up for you. Since my above message i have literally coughed up a coke can worth of phlem, maybe 1.5. Maybe 3 hours…its horrible and 24/7 for years.

Not that the op will care about my opinion, but in the off chance. It.isnt worth any amount of money living in contamination. Take a pay cut and have a better quality of life.

2 Likes

I had the same issue as you. It was horrible. Getting up in the morning had me dredging a ton of phlegm out of my sinuses for at least 2 hours. The ENT had to do the scope and drainage from the nose once or twice a week. I couldn’t walk up stairs without wheezing. They even gave me an asthma puffer which I never used.
Lets just say I took a break from the south and 6 months later it cleared up luckily. I had no idea it was where I lived that was causing it until I left that area.

That said, there are a lot of locals that live in those areas in their 80s and 90s without lung cancer or any issues. Maybe they are more evolved so to speak at dealing with the pollution levels.

Hey! I am terribly sorry for responding so late! Things started to pick up at my school and so I’ve been quite busy the last week or so. Finally have some time to check these messages. Again, I apologize for missing out on your invite. I’m learning that school Sports Day can be quite busy lol so hopefully once it is over I’ll have some more free time. lol

At first I had nothing to really compare LY to, as it’s the first place in Taiwan I’ve been to and it’s my home so I didn’t have too much of an impression. But I was able to leave LY a few times and immediately noticed the difference. Even Dong Gang looks and felt better. I don’t hate living in LY and surprisingly the pollution hasn’t affected my daily life too much fingers crossed but damn, those pictures look amazing and makes me kidna wish I wasn’t in LY. lol

So far I really like the schools I am with and would stay if the opportunity is presented, but hopefully by then I’m not too chicken to learn how to ride a scooter cause I’d definitely want to live elsewhere. And yes, I agree. As someone who is brand new to the area, I’m learning how to do my part.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight. I’m learning even local Kaohsiung-ers don’t look at LY too fondly. Hopefully if I continue working here, I can at least live outside of the area.

It’s probably cause the locals have lived here their entire lives. They’ve built a stronger immunity than prob 99% of foreigners. haha With that said, I haven’t noticed anything too bad yet… it’s only been a month so fingers crossed I stay fine. :grimacing:

1 Like

Just keep your eye on it. It was insidious for myself. Thats why the warning :slightly_smiling_face:
otherwise I enjoyed living in that area of Kaohsiung, as it’s more laid back.

2 Likes

Mango is back haha

1 Like

did you ever meet up with @Pandajr08 , or maybe he’s gone with the wind since no active replies in 2 years

1 Like

If you feel adventurous, try Jiading district. Place if interest, a training center for offshore wind turbine industry called MTIC by MIRDC and a fish harbor/market called Xingda fish harbor/market.

I did not. I do wonder is he still there, not the best area in this city.

Hopefully wasnt health related!

Linyuan has a great library. You can have books sent there from any branch. Or, you can pick up books at other locations and return them there.
Also good hot pot

1 Like