🌏 List | 16 Friendliest Countries in the World

I had the same impression :sweat_smile: It looks like a bunch of other lists I’ve seen, even if the featured countries are different. Also, I find it hard to trust it. I’ve been to Peru several times (different regions). And, while I find Peruvians pretty respectful and polite, I would never characterize them as friendly.

1 Like

Ah, the old “Taiwanese people are so friendly” chestnut. Let me make myself clear, Taiwan is my favourite country in the world and I’m not into Taiwan bashing, but every time this comes up I wonder if I’m living in the same universe as the person making that claim.

Let me put it this way. London isn’t exactly well known for being friendly. You’re far more likely to be served by a rude bastard in a shop here than in Taipei. But you’re exponentially more likely to get to know that shop assistant on a personal level in London or to simply strike up banter with them and the people waiting in line with you. In other words, I find that in Taiwan there’s a lot of surface-level politeness and professionalism which makes the UK service industry look like a third-world country’s, and maybe people mistake that for “friendliness”, but there’s no heart and soul which you will find even in a miserable city like London. I could list many other examples. Taiwan has many things going for it, but I just don’t see the “friendliness”.

4 Likes

Most men are friendly to young good looking women in every country. The more helpless they look the more the male flys into their web.

How could tourists who are only visiting for a few days possibly know a shop assistent on a personal level or strike up conversations with locals when they don’t know the language?

1 Like

Three lols in one post. I don’t know what Gain is talking about, but that’s a pretty jovial attitude. I’d be surprised if people don’t want to be friendly with you!

3 Likes

That can be pretty handy actually! I do that quite frequently too for certain topics/questions.

1 Like

If you search “countries with the friendliest people reddit” Taiwan gets mentioned a lot.

Just writing so that the posters who write like teenaged girls sending text messages can understand me better.

1 Like

Right, so tourists saying the people here are friendly obviously don’t know what they’re talking about. Those of us who have lived here for years on the other hand

2 Likes

You’ve been in the house too long .

1 Like

The title of the list is 16 friendliest countries in the world to visit.

Maybe people aren’t friendly to you because of you.

I wonder if this depends on the user and followed subs?

For me, I get the following order in the previews: India, Scotland, New Zealand, Turkey, Philippines, Scotland, Ireland, Taiwan, Jordan, Canada, Cambodia, Myanmar, Iran, Ireland, Australia, Greece, Bulgaria, UK.

So Taiwan is in there, but it’s not top of the list or anything in my case. Obviously quite subjective and dependent on people’s random individual experiences too.

No. You need to click the links and see the comments. There are usually a ton of responses to comments mentioning Taiwan in agreement.

Took me 3 minutes to create this rubbish.

Make each paragraph longer and mention an extra example for each country as to why they are unfriendly.

ChatGPT

Certainly! Here is an extended version of the list, with longer paragraphs and an additional example for each country explaining why they might be perceived as unfriendly to visitors:

1. Taiwan: While Taiwanese people are generally friendly, the language barrier and cultural differences can pose challenges for some visitors, making it seem less friendly than other destinations. Moreover, the fast-paced lifestyle and crowded cities might create an impression of impersonality. For instance, the bustling night markets in Taiwan can be overwhelming for tourists unfamiliar with the local customs and language, leading to potential misunderstandings and a sense of unease.
  2. Ireland: Ireland’s unfriendliness might stem from its dry and sarcastic sense of humor, which can sometimes be misunderstood by tourists. Additionally, some visitors may find the locals reserved and less open to initiating conversations with strangers. An example of this could be encounters in traditional pubs, where locals engage in lively banter among themselves, making it challenging for tourists to fully integrate into the conversations and feel welcome.
  3. Peru: Peru’s unfriendliness can be attributed to issues like petty theft and scams targeted at tourists in popular areas. Visitors may also face challenges due to language barriers, particularly outside major tourist spots. For instance, in Cusco, tourists may encounter aggressive street vendors or fake tour operators who try to take advantage of their unfamiliarity with local prices and customs.
  4. Costa Rica: Despite its reputation as a tourist-friendly country, some travelers might perceive Costa Rica as unfriendly due to occasional experiences with petty theft and tourist scams. Additionally, language barriers in rural areas can make communication difficult for some visitors. For example, tourists exploring remote rainforest regions might encounter challenges in communicating their needs or seeking assistance from locals who have limited English proficiency.
  5. Russia: Russia can be seen as unfriendly due to the language barrier, particularly outside major cities. The locals’ reserved nature and occasional encounters with bureaucracy might also contribute to this perception. Additionally, visitors might find it challenging to navigate the complex Cyrillic alphabet, making it difficult to decipher signs or communicate effectively with locals, which can lead to frustration and a sense of unfriendliness.
  6. France: France’s reputation for unfriendliness towards tourists might stem from cultural differences, language barriers, and occasional encounters with rudeness, particularly in busy tourist areas. Tourists may experience instances where locals seem impatient or dismissive due to the large influx of visitors. For example, some travelers might feel unwelcome when faced with an attitude of indifference or impatience from service staff in crowded Parisian cafĂ©s.
  7. China: China’s vast size and cultural differences can make it challenging for some visitors. Language barriers and crowded tourist attractions may contribute to the perception of unfriendliness. Furthermore, the cultural norms of personal space and queueing may differ from those in other countries, leading to potential misunderstandings. For instance, in bustling markets such as the Silk Market in Beijing, tourists may encounter pushy vendors or haggling practices that can be overwhelming and give an impression of unfriendliness.
  8. Germany: Germany’s efficiency and direct communication style might come across as unfriendly to some visitors. The locals’ preference for personal space and adherence to rules could also contribute to this perception. In situations where tourists require assistance or directions, they may encounter direct and concise answers without the expected warmth or extended conversation that they may be accustomed to in other cultures.
  9. United Kingdom: While many people in the UK are friendly towards tourists, the reserved nature of some locals, particularly in London, and the fast-paced urban environment can create an impression of unfriendliness. Additionally, the crowded public transportation system and the concept of “London rush” may make it challenging for visitors to receive assistance or engage in casual conversations with locals

3 Likes

Even ChatGPT can’t say Taiwan is unfriendly without saying it’s friendly first lol.

If you’re a backpacker, Taiwan is cool to visit. If you’ve never seen a night market or eaten filthy food therefrom, it IS quite a buzz. There are pretty things to see, but that can all be done in a couple of weeks. Then you’re stuck with the friendly locals yellin “harroo” at you on the street.
Time to fuck off to India, or somewhere that IS actually friendly.

4 Likes

True dat lol

No need to make it personal, lest I remind that you are one of the least liked individuals on the entire site.

Mainland Chinese were very friendly to me when I lived there, and other countries I have lived. Only in Taiwan have I felt the need to make an effort to make friends. Probably covid plays a role, but other foreigners I have talked to online and in person echo these sentiments.

Which is fine. I have an endless supply of boring first dates on Tinder :melting_face:

3 Likes

Thats ridiculous. When is the last time you were up Yushan Jimmy? :grinning: