LIST: Beers of the world

I was intrigued by the responses to the “Taiwan Beer” POLL. forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=43465

Being an avid tippler myself, I lost no time to look up one of those “Beers of the World” Posters at TESCO today. I hurriedly scanned it for MY fav. tipple… only to find Stella Artois and Becks. No South African stuff I’m afraid. Now… this may have been done before, but:

Forumosans… help me to compile the “Forumosans’ Definitive List of World Beers”! :beer:

I’ll start it off, you QUOTE the previous poster’s LIST, then add your own. And so the list grows! Please add the COUNTRY where it originates. Links to URL’s will be appreciated. I’ll update the list periodically.

Ready… Steady… Go! :yay:

!. Stella Artois Belgium
stella-artois.com/index.jsp
2. Becks Germany
becks.com/com_start.asp
3. Castle Lager South Africa
castlelager.co.za/castlelager/18question.htm

My favourite is Ducksteiner from Feldschloesschen (Germany):
feldschloesschen.de/bs/produ … kte02.html
And there is Feldschloesschen Pilsner from Feldschloesschen…

Most traditional German beers at least up northern are Pilsner, a brewing tradition coming from the city of Pilsen, CZ, rooooight!

The fresh beer of the north, some think it is too sauer, is Jever (Germany):
jever.de/sites/jever_website/intro.html

Radeberger, the beer of the East German commie elite as long as there was the DDR/GDR, now still a good beer:
radeberger.de/
radebergerusa.com/ US site

Warsteiner, having like Becks Beer also international attention:
warsteiner.de/

Usually each make has PISLNER and EXPORT, the latter with more alc and a little sweeter

and there are soooo many more. 10 years ago, each small town had its own brewery. Now the big ones buy the small ones and destroy the old factories, snif. When they tear down the big copper brewing boiler, I always want to cry…

[quote=“TaiwanSaffies”]I was intrigued by the responses to the “Taiwan Beer” POLL. forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=43465

Being an avid tippler myself, I lost no time to look up one of those “Beers of the World” Posters at TESCO today. I hurriedly scanned it for MY fav. tipple… only to find Stella Artois and Becks. No South African stuff I’m afraid. Now… this may have been done before, but:

Forumosans… help me to compile the “Forumosans’ Definitive List of World Beers”! :beer:

I’ll start it off, you QUOTE the previous poster’s LIST, then add your own. And so the list grows! Please add the COUNTRY where it originates. Links to URL’s will be appreciated. I’ll update the list periodically.

Ready… Steady… Go! :yay:

!. Stella Artois Belgium
stella-artois.com/index.jsp
[u]2. Becks Germany
becks.com/com_start.asp[/u]
castlelager.co.za/castlelager/18question.htm[/quote]

For your information … Becks beer is owned by Inbev, the Stella brewer and is marketed in Taiwan by Cottingham which in turn is owned by Inbev.

Inbev did come to life after a merger of Ambev (Brazil) and Interbrew (Belgium) They have loads of breweries bought worldwide and to be honest I lost track of all the beers they have in portfolio and if I don’t have to I won’t drink any of them out of principal … the reason being that they just closed down the “Hoegaarden” white brewery in the town of Hoegaarden and moved production to another brewery to streamline their production but they are still bottling it at the old plant, but meanwhile they laid of about 70 workers … not nice, and not original brewed in the town of its name gives it less character … it would be like Parmesan cheese made in Taipei.

My point being that very soon all the beer is coming from a few breweries and we won’t have a favourite beer anymore, due to lack of quality, for instance Heineken … but at least some people brew beer because they like it and don’t do it for money only … so, in Belgium we’re still lucky.

therefor I would like you to join my discovery and favourite of the month

Augustijn Grand cru

vansteenberge.com/Bodypages/ … ndCru.html

BTW, I have a 3 liters monster of a bottle at my place

[quote="belgian pie

therefor I would like you to join my discovery and favourite of the month

Augustijn Grand cru

vansteenberge.com/Bodypages/ … ndCru.html

BTW, I have on 3 liters monster of a bottle at my place[/quote]

Yeah, and that bottle could be reserved for some fine people dropping bye soon :smiley:

A fine beer and an excellent IPA.
sierranevada.com/

Another fine brewery in San Francisco, Cali.
Started by Fritz Maytag.
anchorbrewing.com/

From Stone Brewing Co. in southern Cali comes Arrogant Bastard.
Are you worthy? (They also brew some other mighty fine beers)
arrogantbastard.com/

more to be added.

Glad at least THIS spirit of god can be found here in Taiwan.
Serve it in a chilled glass with a slice of lime and you are in :angel:

interbrewhoreca.nl/merken/ho … /index.htm

IMHO the best beer in the world is not made by the few huge multi-nationals that are sucking in all the other beer producing companies … it’s made by the small breweries who still do things properly, without chemicals, and without cost-cutting out the essentials.

teggs

[quote=“teggs”]IMHO the best beer in the world is not made by the few huge multi-nationals that are sucking in all the other beer producing companies … it’s made by the small breweries who still do things properly, without chemicals, and without cost-cutting out the essentials.

teggs[/quote]

I partly not agree. Without chemicals (which are mostly used to conserve beer longer) you would not find many beers here.
Small breweries do still know the “ART of making beer” , but saying that they are better… do not think so. You have more chances to be sick when control on Hygiene etc is less, which happens more in these traditional small plants…
And by the way, the most of these

[quote=“ceevee369”]

interbrewhoreca.nl/merken/ho … /index.htm[/quote]

That’s “Ho Garden” in English.

So is this the beer of Pimps? :loco:
mmm , could have a negative perception in th UK, but we have a saying on that beer…

“the more you drink, the more clear it becomes” Got it?

[quote=“ceevee369”]

interbrewhoreca.nl/merken/ho … /index.htm[/quote]

I’m sooo chuffed I started this thread! Jake’s stock Hoegaarden, so I’ll be having it as advised above asap! :beer:

Show you, you can teach an old dog new tricks! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Unibroue makes excellent beer in Quebec. My favorite is “LA FIN DU MONDE”

Here’s the list of beers they make.

bobepine

[quote=“TaiwanSaffies”]
castlelager.co.za/castlelager/18question.htm[/quote]

Hmmmmm… Castle Lager… :homer: :beer:

Shiner Bock
shiner.com

:slight_smile:

Some advice before enjoying the discovery of a new beer:

1. Use the appropriate glass fitting the "aroma’ of the beer.
    EG Warsteiner, Stella and other pilsner beers are served in normal beer glasses (or you start the 1 liter glass)
    Leffe, and other Abbey beers must be drunk from within a goblet style glass

2. the MOST important (not applicable to the Taiwanese beers or Heineken) is to RINCE the inside of the glass with cold water before serving. This will improve the production of foam, which is for most of us a proof of true quality (and it feels so heavenly when the foam hits your lips)

Other advice is welcome of course.
:notworthy:

One should drink beer.
Not sip it.
Proper beer temp is 40 - 45 degrees F. You’ll have to work out the Celsius.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]One should drink beer.
Not sip it.
Proper beer temp is 40 - 45 degrees F. You’ll have to work out the Celsius.[/quote]

6 degrees Celcius for lager, pils, white beer
8-10 for more heavy beers

never ever more than 15 degrees celcius!

Just to add a new area:

http://www.augustinerbier.at/index_flash_e.htm

Excellent beer brewed BY monks and a grat place to go to, hughe beer garden and typical food served with beer. If you ever visit Salzburg, go for it.

And that’s how you drink it there. Even that’s the kid’s sized 1 liter ones.
They cool the stone jug before they fill in the beer so it keeps the temprature it should have even on a hot day for a while.

Thanks to Ironman for the correction…

From Delaware:

I fear not many of you had the chance to “drink” this not so known very Special beer from Belgium, called KWAK. (Brewed since 1791 !!!)

The name is based on the sound the beer makes when you reach the level of the lower part.
The trick is to drink it “wisely” otherwise you get your shirt wet. :smiley:

You see, drinking beer is FUN! :notworthy:

Ordering? beer-paradise.com/products/b … _gift.html