List of potentially tainted products from China (lists only)

[quote=“ceevee369”]Icon… I do not get it about your first picture. Those produce natural milk :ponder:
or is it the title only you wanted to use?[/quote]

:laughing: You hotlinked the pic, didn’t ya? :no-no: Next time save the pic to your PC, upload it to ImageShack, click at the bottom on ‘+ Show Advanced Linking’, IGNORE the warning, copy the resulting direct link, and paste it. This not only prevents them swapping the pic on you, but also minimizes broken links (i.e., prevents it from turning into a blank box with an x in it).

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“ceevee369”]Icon… I do not get it about your first picture. Those produce natural milk :ponder:
or is it the title only you wanted to use?[/quote]

:laughing: You hotlinked the pic, didn’t ya? :no-no: Next time save the pic to your PC, upload it to ImageShack, click at the bottom on ‘+ Show Advanced Linking’, IGNORE the warning, copy the resulting direct link, and paste it. This not only prevents them swapping the pic on you, but also minimizes broken links (i.e., prevents it from turning into a blank box with an x in it).[/quote]

I am Manuel- From Barcelona- i know nothing . NO -thing :frowning: (for real)
Anyway, D-bones thought me something new on hotlinking pictures hehe and the picture on Icon’s post is already replaced anyway I saw… :eh:

Yeah, already pulled it. Sorry, boys! :laughing:

The mortification… I was congratulating myself on how I finally learned to post pics on Forumosa and this happens. Now I have to figure out Dragonbone’s instructions. :blush:

Relevant story from today regarding melamine in the food chain.

Melamine in pesticides, human food chain - experts

Despite the atrocious headline engrish (I don’t think they meant to imply that melamine is also in ‘experts’) it looks like the wanton use of this chemical to jigger protein measurement tests has been widespread and affecting an even greater amount of people and animals than imagined.

I agree, nice list

I think if you eat some of it it’s ok? I heard from the news like maybe 1 or 2 bag of oatmeal then you are ok but not really sure

After a week of denial :loco: , RT Mart has finally admitted importing 三鹿 Sanlu tainted milk powder. Full story in Chinese here:
tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … 16l22.html
I haven’t had time to read the whole thing yet, and I don’t have the whole picture, but it doesn’t sound like they were acting in good faith on this. Might be time to consider boycotting RTMart.

Pizza Hut has admitted significant melamine contamination the small packets of (fake?) parmesan cheese that they include (along with hot pepper flakes) in their carryout and delivered pizzas. The label says the packets are from Malaysia but they have been found to have high levels of the toxin. Starting in August, they have used 222500 packets. Story in Chinese:
tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … 16ld4.html

Taibei County Carrefour at Chong2xin1 and Zhong1he2, as well as RTMart’s Tu3cheng2 branch as well as others in Taibei County [color=#BF0000]are still selling[/color] milk powders of PRC origin or other dairy products which are not clearly marked as to their origin and which have not been certified as melamine-free! Story in Chinese:
tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … 16la1.html

In further news, the bar code number is not a guarantee of safety, because some products are imported, then packaged or further processed in Taiwan, in which case they will carry the Taiwan label but might include melamine-tainted ingredients. Story in Chinese (same link as above):
tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … 16la1.html

Yep, one does not know what to think. Even M&M’s have been recalled.

RT Mart never accepted, it was until they got they the bags out of their warehouse that they had no other choice.

As to the origin, it is really a tough call. For example, luckily I hadn’t used my milk from the Philipines:

[quote]2.1M kilos of Chinese milk delivered to RP

The Bureau of Customs (BoC) on Thursday disclosed that a total of 2,138,397 million kilograms of Chinese milk were delivered to the Philippines from January to August this year.

The number was broken down into two: milk and cream not concentrated or sweetened (1,467,490 kilograms) and milk and cream concentrated (670,907).

Customs chief Napoleon Morales said a big chunk of milk and dairy products from China was distributed by Fly Ace Corp. and Fonterra Brands Philippines Inc.

Morales said because of the temporary ban ordered by DOH on Chinese milk products, the BoC temporarily canceled the import permits of the two Chinese milk distributors.[/quote]
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/09/26/08/bfad-list-banned-chinese-milk-out-next-week

Sigh

So far, only COSTCO has come out clean.

Koala cookies TAINTED! 樂天小熊餅乾

The infamy…how low can they go?

Latest news on the koala cookies is the REAL ones from Japan are fine, the fake ones are not.

How does one tell the difference?

Thank you so much for the list and for regularly updating it.

Does anybody know since when these products have been contaminated with melamine?? Is it recent or has it always been like this?? We lived in China until last year and regularly bought bread and other milk products…

[quote=“divea”]Thank you so much for the list and for regularly updating it.

Does anybody know since when these products have been contaminated with melamine?? Is it recent or has it always been like this?? We lived in China until last year and regularly bought bread and other milk products…[/quote]

I don’t think anyone knows, but after reading up on the pet food and animal feed scandals, it looks to me like these dubious practices began at least a few years ago. When did they start moving from animal feed products to human foods? Very hard to say. But here are some facts to consider:

[quote]By early 2006, melamine production in mainland China is reported to be in “serious surplus”.[/quote] (Wiki)

Now, what happens when materials are in serious surplus? They start to find new applications. And VERY soon thereafter, reports start appearing of other uses of melamine, such as in fish feed, animal feed, dog food, and even human foods. And the recalls due to toxicity problems began appearing around 2007, so giving it time for the toxicity to be discovered, my best guess is that the problem began by around mid 2006 to early 2007. Just a guess, though. Until the pet food recall in 2007, melamine wasn’t routinely tested for, so the problem could have occurred undetected for a few years. Very hard to say.

Thanks, that was quick…and helpful!! That also means that other countries maybe importing ‘melamine’ for at least over a year…!!

Bastards, I always liked RT Mart better than Carrefour and Geant. Don’t even want to think about how much tainted products I have consumed over the last ten years. I really have to apologize to my kidneys now. They went through a lot. Ehh… no, a lot went through them. :fume:

I’m interested in which of the Koala cookie pictures shows the original one - we always buy the box shown on picture #2. Any ideas?

Oh and thanks a lot for the list, that’s very helpful information! :slight_smile:

[quote=“starfish”]I’m interested in which of the Koala cookie pictures shows the original one - we always buy the box shown on picture #2. Any ideas?

Oh and thanks a lot for the list, that’s very helpful information! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Sorry, starfish, but I’m not sure. I’m just reporting potential risks as I hear about them, with a strongly conservative bent. Hopefully someone can help clarify.

Yesterday, the guy who was in charge of “things” during SARS came back to take over from the guy who stepped down (don’t ask me his position exactly, maybe someone else knows). He was the guy who looked like he just got out of the shower, on the news yesterday. He is taking everything off the shelves first, testing them, and putting them back on the shelf once they are proven clear. He explained that if the machine picks up no traces of melanime in the product then it will declared clear. He said, then people will be able to rest easier when buying things, instead of being in the current state of confusion.

His wife is not talking to him apparently, since he agreed to take over this case.

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“starfish”]I’m interested in which of the Koala cookie pictures shows the original one - we always buy the box shown on picture #2. Any ideas?

Oh and thanks a lot for the list, that’s very helpful information! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Sorry, starfish, but I’m not sure. I’m just reporting potential risks as I hear about them, with a strongly conservative bent. Hopefully someone can help clarify.[/quote]

[Edit:]

I wish I could help, but so far all I’ve been able to find out is that Lotte’s spokesperson in Japan says that the ones circulating in Japan are not made with any Chinese dairy products, and that it appears (I don’t know Chinese, so I’m using Google translator and Babelfish) that a Taiwan distributor(?) says that its Koala Cookies come directly from Japan, but that there are fakes in some stores.

I haven’t found anything yet on how to tell the difference between the real ones and the fake ones.

Here’s a portion of a Chinese-language news report from September 26:

[quote]中國製的小熊餅乾,被澳門衛生局,驗出含有24PPM的三聚氰胺,含量之高,小朋友只要一天吃五包就會有礙健康。

不過台灣業者一口接一口,強調台灣所販售的小熊餅乾,原產地是直接由日本進口,奶粉原料產區也絕對不是中國大陸。

不過市面上的小熊餅乾,同時充斥許多仿冒品,從外觀和大小來看都很相似,但產地卻是來自東南亞,業者除了呼籲民眾謹慎購買,也同時將10種產品主動送檢,希望穩固消費者信心。 [/quote]
ttv.com.tw/097/09/0970926/09 … 67104L.htm

Here are two excerpts from English-language reports:

[quote]A spokesman for Lotte, based in Japan, said separate branches in individual countries were responsible for their own production methods.

“At least Koala Cookies circulating in Japan are manufactured solely in Japan, with absolutely no milk or dairy material from China,” the spokesman said.[/quote]–Agence France-Presse article, September 26

newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingne … ng-shelves

[quote]In Tokyo, a company spokeswoman said Lotte products sold in Japan are not made with Chinese dairy ingredients.[/quote]–AP article, September 27

ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hpxu … QD93EVEI81