Listening+Pinyin+IMEs, Blockbuster to Learn Characters

I suggest this link may be tried.

chinese.cari.com.my/ime/py21000.html

If you have not listened a lot, you can not get the right pinyin.

If you have typed the wrong pinyin, you can never get the right Chinese characters.

If you can always type the right Chinese characters, this will be a smart “flashcard” for you to learn to read and write Chinese finally.

Now, most of Chinese use pinyin to type Chinese characters because there have been dozens of IMEs, and there is a great deal of Artificial Intellegence in it, which changes the IMEs to the greatest helper for western learners of Chinese.

It has the following advantages:

1, The characters with the same pinyin are listed according to their frequency of appearance in writing. One needn’t remember the radicals to write but the pinyin of the characters. This is especially attractive to western learners, I wonder.

2, There are dozens of IME, most of which have the memory function. That is, it can remember the character you use last time and have it appear at the front next time.

3, Among the dozens of IME, some allow the advanced Chinese users to type the Chinese characters with only its first letter. For example, in 智能ABC, you need only type rm and you will get 人民, or 人们, or 任命 or others.

Do you have to remember the tones?

Just as a note - this link only handles simplified characters, so anyone interested in learning characters that are actually useful in Taiwan might want to think twice.

Oh, and this link also has nothing whatsoever to do with flashcards. There are plenty of flashcard programs about that actually do though.

I am sorry to say it is also true that type pinyin can’t get tradtional Chinese characters.

A few more points:

1, listening a lot will help the learner get the tones automatically.

2, Listening–pinyin—IME encourages peopele to listen more so that tones will be better learned.

3, To remember tones of Chinese characters is too much for a person, no matther whether he is a native or a foreigner.

If you want to enter Chinese characters into MS Word, switch over to an Eastern Asian language like Chinese (Taiwan) and you can enter bopomofo like crazy. If you want to type pinyin, you’ll need to add Chinese (Hong Kong S.A.R.) or Chinese (PRC). That’s going to mean you’ll have all sorts of settings to get right before you can do what you want. But then you’ll be able to enter pinyin or bopomo into any field you like and you’ll get the option of choosing which character.

I was just checking out the language bar and I noticed you can use an IME pad for actual writing of the character with strokes of the mouse. There are a lot of options available that I bet noone even uses. When they want to do something specialized, they go out and find something that does the job even though it was there on the Windows disk all along.

You don’t have to install any new IME aside from Chinese (Taiwan) to type Pinyin - you can change it to Pinyin by using the “New Phonetic IME” I think it’s called. That can be configured quite simply to use Pinyin.

Personally I don’t use the MS IMEs, since the Hotkey is a pain in the arse - it conflicts with games, and when it’s activated it hijacks all input, which if you’re playing a fast paced game can be a right bastard. I just settle for NJStar Communicator. That can even let you type in romanised Cantonese, as well as Zhuyin, Pinyin, Big5, GB, Four Corners, and Cangjie, I think.

hehe, I just found out that I can also type tradtional Chinese characters.

I will try to use the TC here in the future.

實踐

I am sorry to say it is also true that type pinyin can’t get tradtional Chinese characters.[/quote]

You can with the IME that comes with Windows XP. I’m very happy I upgraded.

I am sorry to say it is also true that type pinyin can’t get tradtional Chinese characters.[/quote]

You can with the IME that comes with Windows XP. I’m very happy I upgraded.[/quote]

So the windows 2000. It takes some time to find out an IME with a TC & SC switch on the toolbar.

You can with the IME that comes with Windows XP. I’m very happy I upgraded.[/quote]

So the windows 2000. It takes some time to find out an IME with a TC & SC switch on the toolbar.[/quote]

You can set your language bar to handle many languages, including Chinese (China) and Chinese (Taiwan). I use Chinese (Taiwan), but I have the IME set to Hanyu Pinyin.

No it doesn’t. Set Windows to deal with Chinese (PRC) and Chinese (Taiwan) or Chinese (Hong Kong), or download NJStar Communicator (njstar.com.au).

shengmar rocks. But simplified Chinese sucks.

Pinyin can also show traditional Chinese if you like

Where are you from shengmar? How come you speak English so well? :bouncy:

as you have said. I just love English culture so much and read quite a bit.

What Have I said? :bouncy:

Orange and Shengmar,

Please take this kind of private exchange offline using the Private Message or e-mail function. It is not really of general interest, nor does it have anything to do with the topic being discussed here.

Love and kisses
The mod

keshi ironlady zhi jie PM ren jia hao qi guai ba. :bouncy: