Little Black Drongo

Quite the looker!

2 Likes

Does he like being petted?

Oh yes, he is wayyy more fun than I thought a bird could ever beenā€¦

He has a long bamboo pole high in front of the windows, which he kind of made his base.
Then, if I call, he takes a dive to a pole to the table, eats a worm or cricket, takes a pet, flies an 8 through the room, taking a dip in the water once a while, then returning to his base.
And that over and over again.

And if I am working on the table, he sits next to me, chattering continuously, watching everything I do.

Itā€™s really fun ā€¦ or I am just getting an old man needing some companyā€¦

8 Likes

I say keep him.

Would be super cool to see a video of that.

3 Likes

very cool. touching! the little guy is looking pretty healthy :slight_smile: job well done. in my opinion though, fight the urge to ā€œkeepā€ them. if it were an invasive species, sure. its a normal human emotion to justify it. i have grappled with those tugs as well, but its not our place. release it, and visit. i remember there is a saying about letting something go and letting it find its way back if it chooses to. even the odd tear may be shed, its all good. it means you care and thats something the word needs more of these days :slight_smile: job well done Eric!

4 Likes

Agree on that one, he came from the wild, he will be back in the wild.
It was an interesting ride, seeing him turning from an hungry and exhausted little fellow into a strong and determined young adult in a matter of 2 1/2 weeks.
We are struggling with a dying cat, but hope to find some time to release him in the coming days ā€¦ life comes, life goes ā€¦

8 Likes

Catching him in full flight, turning eights in the living room, is nearly impossible.
But here is some footage of this guy living his life to the fullest.
Own apartment, free airspace to fly, private swimming pool, food at least 5 times a day, plus complimentary worms and crickets ā€¦ no wonder if he donā€™t want to leave!

9 Likes

Birds are incredibly personable, considering they donā€™t have much in the way of brains. My sister has a rescue dove that refuses to leave. It has a favourite song that itā€™ll dance to whenever it hears it. She never trained it to do that; it just does it.

1 Like

tisk tisk. not the size that mattersā€¦

Man, releasing him this early morning was wayyy harder than expected, I will miss everything of him.

10 Likes

You may find that heā€™ll return to the same spot at same time to catch up with you. So hang out there for a while with your coffee and a bag of worms for a few days.

Lots of stories of people who maintain friendships with released birds.

And :+1: good job! Thank you!

8 Likes

well done man, did a good job and the right thing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hereā€™s hoping this isnā€™t the end of the story.

2 Likes

I am afraid it isā€¦
Of course I was that sentimental old fool who passed by 3 mornings while on my bike, but he was nowhere to be seen.
Itā€™s totally crazy, but I really really miss him (but still think we did the best in his interest).

6 Likes

Did you go back where you released him to see if heā€™s around?

1 Like

Try doing more than just passing by on your bike. Hang around for a little while and he might spot you.

3 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s what I was trying to say. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

maybe the band aid method is better? rather than prolongue the hardship of missing him, just be happy he/she is free and living its best life :slight_smile: there are trillions like him, and he got a very good start :heavy_heart_exclamation:

sometimes letting go is also a form of letting something free :slight_smile:

1 Like

You were watching the Frozen cartoon again, werenā€™t you @Explant?

3 Likes

damnit, that obvious? I have a daughter, please forgive meā€¦

2 Likes