Little League Volunteering

I have coached Little League in the US and I enjoy getting out and throwing the ball around with kids , it’s good stress relief and a fun way to get some exercise and fresh air. I’m going to be living in Taoyuan which I know has been very good lately in Little League making the LLWS in Pennsylvania 3 times in the last decade but I’m wondering what my prospects are of volunteering while I am there?

How much will my lack of Chinese be a detriment to me?

Will they not even consider me because I’m not Taiwanese and my son isn’t in the league?

Will they think I am a weirdo for wanting to volunteer?

[quote=“just_chris”]I have coached Little League in the US and I enjoy getting out and throwing the ball around with kids , it’s good stress relief and a fun way to get some exercise and fresh air. I’m going to be living in Taoyuan which I know has been very good lately in Little League making the LLWS in Pennsylvania 3 times in the last decade but I’m wondering what my prospects are of volunteering while I am there?

How much will my lack of Chinese be a detriment to me?

Will they not even consider me because I’m not Taiwanese and my son isn’t in the league?

Will they think I am a weirdo for wanting to volunteer?[/quote]

Unfortunately, baseball isn’t a community based fun event for children here in Taiwan.

Since most schools, parents, principles only want children to study hard and get good grades, most children do not get to enjoy being on a team or any sports. Only a few selected schools get to draft elite, and gifted talents from around the island to fill their elite teams. This is true even in little league level, even though things are starting to change a bit. That means very few positions are open in terms of coaching.

The LLWS school in Taoyuan in the past few years are 龜山國小 (2009, 2012)

here’s a list of schools with little league baseball programs in Taoyuan
twbsball.dils.tku.edu.tw/wiki/in … 2%E9%9A%8A

I’d say find a one near you and perhaps one with less assistant coaches, and offer your service. Say twbsball.dils.tku.edu.tw/wiki/in … 2%E9%9A%8A

Don’t know how that’d go over, since it’s probably rare for people to just volunteer for little league teams, but I’m interested to know how it’d go over :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow… so they treat Little League like a business, I’m sure there are places in the US like that too but it’s pretty easy for a parent to get involved if they want to.

Thanks for the links…

just_chris, if you would like to throw some balls and hit the cages once a week, me and some buddies are forming a team, if you are interested send me a PM.