Little Mermaid box office and what does it say about Asia's racism

LOLZ your crack me up with that one. Let levity rule.

Yeah, because cows are the ones to laugh at others’ eyes being too far apart…

Seth is still pretty good.

The saddest part of that story is I would have believed the story to be true even if you swapped Korea for Taiwan.

1 Like

It looks cute on us… :cow2:

Seth is fucking terrible. :face_exhaling:

I mean you can’t just assume the movie does worse because if racism. It can be a hypothesis but in order to make that kind of conclusion, you need to run survey with predefined and verified scales using proper sampling, then you have to clean the data, then you can run your casual analysis. Even then you can only show statistical relationships between variables (like x predicts y or x+z predicts y.) It takes a lot of time and work. Although you’d definitely have a stronger case if you could run this survey and also conduct interviews with a diverse sample of movie watchers in Asia. You can then use the survey to map pattern of responses and tie it to the emerging themes across responses to map the cognitive interpretations/cultural underpinnings, etc involved in the whole thing.

Of course the best study would involve multiple films with similar features (white, non white, Asian) and accross genres.

Another useful thing to look at would be how well the original film did in Asia.

The Island of Taiwan, a land of wonder,
Beautiful mountains and seas asunder.
Home to a vibrant culture and technology hub,
And also a haven for fans of cartoon clubs.

Bronies abound on this island nation,
Enamored with friendship and equine animation.
They gather at cons and meetups galore,
To celebrate ponies and magic once more.

Though an unusual mix, it’s an interesting sight,
Taiwan, the bronies, what a curious plight!
East meets West in a colorful fusion,
Of culture, friendship, and four-legged illusion.

Long live Taiwan, the bronies’ paradise,
Where 20% cooler is a way of life!
Beautiful island with mountain and sea,
And rainbow friendship, as far as the eye can see!

1 Like

Sounded like some kind of Ozzie slang, so I looked it up… :sweat_smile:

Don’t think My Little Pony is a thing in Taiwan. There’s maybe like a very small following.

They’re more into Planet Unicorn? (45) Planet Unicorn Episode 1 - YouTube

Planet Unicorn - Wikipedia

Back when the earth’s crust was just beginning to congeal, a guy named Shel Silverstein wrote a song about that:

1 Like

First weekend US box office $117 million; overseas $68 million. First full week $211 million.

Aladdin made $121 million overseas for its opening weekend.