Liveability, Walkability and Driving Speeds in Taiwanese City Planning

the cow asking the robot for insights

Still a lot of Hutongs in Tainan, a few around me here,

1 Like

Those are called arcades I believe.

wanhua hutongs!

1 Like

I’ve seen those near the sea outside of Taoyuan. Never knew what they were called though.

I never really saw the attraction of hutongs, at least the famous ones in Beijing. I once spent a cold couple of days in December endlessly walking around them with a Russian girl I’d met randomly there, an architectural student on holiday who was fascinated by them.

I just saw a load of garbage, discarded Nongfu Spring bottles, and old washing machines and paint cans, plus the occasional old dude in underwear wondering what two foreigners were doing in his courtyard. Enthusiastic though she was, it was really hard to feign interest in the old Beijing architecture.

Dilapidated architecture that should really be preserved is nothing new in china.

They purposely let those areas go to ruin so they can raze the areas for new apartments and claim they are improving the areas. Same thing in shanghai with the shikumen terrace houses.

I think the architecture around the hutongs and forbidden city in central beijing is brilliant. Even though something like 90% of them have been torn down there’s still a decent amount there and those streets have a lot of atmosphere. They are in squalid conditions sure, but that’s thanks to the CCP.

In another thread? I don’t see any cow-robot love-in here. :idunno:

Same thing in Canada, at least with buildings that don’t deserve to be preserved. Pity about the long term tenants who get evicted from them though… :frowning:

check the post I was replying to

Ooops! apparently it got removed or maybe I replied in the wrong thread???

The ones in china do deserve to be preserved. almost all of the historic shanghai, the walled city where chinese lived (before the foreign settlements were built) has been demolished. so much for nationalism.

2 Likes

There are some really nice restored ones as well as in Taiwan. Interesting this one has big air con.

This coffee cafe in old house in KHH

Taiwanese city planning. Excuse me?