Living and working in Malaysia?

I’m coming to the end of my contract with my university here in Xiamen, and I promised myself I would leave China this year, see a bit more of the world, try life in another (Asian) country. I’ve got nothing to lose - single, no debt, no commitments.

I’ve thought about all the countries of Asia, and besides Taiwan the only other countries that I think I could live in would be Japan, Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia.

Specifically Malaysia. I was chatting to another teacher who was there for three years and he mentioned the great food, good people, tropical climate (never too cold, not as humid as Xiamen in summer), good-ish salaries. I could boost my salary with IELTS examining. He said KL was a great city - modern, with everything you could want.

It’s a Muslim country, and I assume quite conservative.

What’s your take on Malaysia and living/working there?

Ta :bow:

(and if there’s a Malaysia specific thread please point it out, I searched and didn’t find anything)

When I worked in Singapore, I’d often head to Johor Bahru on weekends and sometimes travel to Langkawi or the Cameron Highlands for pleasure. I liked it for relaxation as I needed to escape the rat race of Singapore and found it less filled with Canadian or Saffie backpackers than neighbouring Thailand.

To live and work there though? Not sure I like their government or its affirmative action policies. Working in the state educational sector, unless it was a private school, you’d probably see such blatant favoritism given to the Malays. If I were Chinese or another minority versus the majority Malays, such preferences for the majority would irritate the shit out of me!

I’m a South African, but not the backpacking kind. TBH, I only met two other South Africans in Thailand over the eight times I’ve been there, but the general abundance of drunken sexpats puts me off wanting to live in Thailand full time.

Someone mentioned Malaysia is similar to Thailand, but without the ‘sizzle’…

From my experiences talking to Chinese people in Sabah, I’ll say it indeed does.

I’m curious … can you elaborate? I’ve heard about institutionalised racism in Malaysia but how does it work in practice?

I’m curious … can you elaborate? I’ve heard about institutionalised racism in Malaysia but how does it work in practice?[/quote]

Read this: it provides a basic overview of some of the privileges bumiputras receive:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian_ … mic_Policy

Does the Malaysian AA affect foreigners?

I would say KL is an interesting city to live in, I was quite impressed and people are pretty friendly. I liked the multicultural mix and it’s a lot more ‘real’ than Singapore if that is your thing.

I live in Malaysia, and so far I hate it. I know there is another poster on here who lives in Kota Kinabalu, and he loves it, so I hope he’ll answer you too.
There is a wide variety of food available; the Malaysian stuff can be very good. Indian and Chinese should be fine. So far the Western fast food places are definitely subpar.
The tropical climate - well, it depends on what you like. It is way too hot and humid for me, and it’s like that all year.
Salaries seemed low, for the few jobs I even heard about, but the cost of living can be very low as well.
My main complaint is that there is nothing to do. KL has many good points, but it basically looks as if a lot of modern buildings and infrastructure has been built recently, this is all great, but then you end up wandering garbage-strewn streets that look awfully like the Third World. There are lots of wonderful shopping malls, filled with Western shops. It almost seems that shopping is what people do - but it is not exotic market-type shopping, it is Gucci and Prada shopping. For other activities, Taipei seemed better.
I don’t know many other Westerners here - one couple almost ended up divorcing, I believe partly because sitting at home all the time doing nothing was driving them nuts. They’ve left, and their marriage seems to have recovered. Another woman I know is the same - her husband is here on an expat job, so they’ve got a great apartment and benefits, but she’s bored out of her mind.

As for conservative… I think not as much as most other Muslim countries. The women seem to wear whatever they please, ranging from completely covered to barely-there miniskirts and tank tops. You can get alcohol, but it is expensive compared to the price of food.

I’ve been to KL on a number of occasions and I found it to be fairly expensive (especially when it comes to food / drink). I also found it to be a really boring city. I think that it would be hard to live there except for the fact that you can hop on cheap, quick flights to places like Langkawi, Penang, and KK.

I’m a South African, but not the backpacking kind. TBH, I only met two other South Africans in Thailand over the eight times I’ve been there, but the general abundance of drunken sexpats puts me off wanting to live in Thailand full time.

Someone mentioned Malaysia is similar to Thailand, but without the ‘sizzle’…[/quote]

Ignore ChewEy, he is still butthurt from the fact that the Saffies and Canucks he came across overseas wouldn’t hangout with him. He still has fits of punching the air and staring into the mirror talking payback.

I have had a few friends work in Malaysia (on packages with US companies) and they really liked it. I also have a few friends who work white collar there, and they party really hard and love KL.

So basically family types and party types seem to find something to enjoy so it can’t be that bad. Add in the killer scenery, cheap flights to every corner of East and West Malaysia (I love you Air Asia), an amazing food culture and above average infrastructure it would seem like a home run (thats baseball lingo akin to whacking the little ball with the paddle so hard you get 6 runs).

The Muslim element is overplayed in both Malaysia and Indonesia, booze and vice is still readily available and people are still having fun.

Hmm, some positive and negative reviews/feedback.

I’m thinking I should hit Singapore this summer and work my way up to Bangkok, through Malaysia - get a feel at ground level for the place…

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]

Ignore ChewEy, he is still butthurt from the fact that the Saffies and Canucks he came across overseas wouldn’t hangout with him. He still has fits of punching the air and staring into the mirror talking payback. [/quote]

Deuce, charisma is when you say the nastiest things about people and they still gravitate towards you! :laughing: It’s not something you can buy. You either have it or you don’t . In other words, I look down because I am exalted. :smiley: :laughing:

Ah yes, it’s a breeding ground of tolerance from the highest echelons down! :unamused:

I went to KL for a short work assignment last year and its was great fun. Having already learnt Malay before it was fun taking my wife out to local eateries where only Malay was spoken. It was fun for my wife listening to me speak Malay and having me as an intepreter. Overall though life anywhere is what you make of it. It is easy to live in Malaysia wihtout learning Bahasa but like any place, learn the local lingo and it does make life more interesting.

I am off to KK this month for another work assignment at the Tanjung Aru. Another nice place is KK and I loved going there when I was working in Brunei for 2 years.

I have several expat friends who have wives and teenage children living in KL and they enjoy it but they also have friends who don’t.

[quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]

Ignore ChewEy, he is still butthurt from the fact that the Saffies and Canucks he came across overseas wouldn’t hangout with him. He still has fits of punching the air and staring into the mirror talking payback. [/quote]

Deuce, charisma is when you say the nastiest things about people and they still gravitate towards you! :laughing: It’s not something you can buy. You either have it or you don’t . In other words, I look down because I am exalted. :smiley: :laughing:

Ah yes, it’s a breeding ground of tolerance from the highest echelons down! :unamused:

[quote]
November 1986: The visit of Israeli President Chaim Herzog to Singapore was protested by the Malaysian government, and the Malaysian high commissioner in Singapore was temporarily withdrawn to Kuala Lumpur. (Bangkok Post, January 21, 2003.)

August 1984: Citing a law that forbade the “screening, portrayal or musical presentation of works of Jewish origin,” Mahathir’s government forbids the New York Philharmonic from playing the work of Ernst Bloch, a Jewish composer, at a scheduled performance (later cancelled) of the New York Philharmonic in Kuala Lumpur. (Abraham Foxman, “An Anti-Semitic Side to the Malaysian Story,” letters, The New York Times, May 31, 1985.)

1970: In his book The Malay Dilemma, Mahathir wrote: '“Jewish stinginess and financial wizardry gained them commercial control of Europe and provoked anti-Semitism which waxed and waned in Europe throughout the ages.” He also wrote that “the Jews for example are not merely hook-nosed, but understand money instinctively.” (Sydney Morning Herald, October 17, 1997)
[/quote][/quote]

And the government’s irrational view of Jewish people from 25 plus years ago will affect this gentile South African how exactly?

Typical irrelevant, uninvited politicized soapboxing from the butthurt Canuck who just wishes his countrymen would acknowledge him, but hey, you know what they say about those who can’t get on well with their own…

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]

Typical irrelevant, uninvited politicized soapboxing from the butthurt Canuck who just wishes his countrymen would acknowledge him, but hey, you know what they say about those who can’t get on well with their own…[/quote]

Don’t you think a lot of Canadians in Taiwan seem to not get on with each other? I’ve always heard feedback from friends of other nationalities that comment on the lack of cohesion with Canadians versus other expat groups. Personally, I think loud Canadians that are full of pride about their country and need to hang out with others of the same nationality constantly are full of insecurity. :laughing: In other words, I am complimenting Canadians that don’t congregate together.

I don’t think, in person, when meeting a new group of people overseas, I’d ever volunteer that I’m Canadian (if anything I’d say I am British which is true). So again, I’m a little confused by your response. :laughing: Why would I ever want acknowledgement from a group I don’t seek out. I seek out interesting people regardless of their background, nationality, color, religious creed etc. I seek out the rainbow of diversity hahahaha. :smiley: :bow:

Malaysia is majority Muslim, and the government enforces this. I’ll agree that it is less difficult for a non-Muslim than in, say, Saudi Arabia, but it is not completely irrelevant. For example, the Malaysian government just cancelled a concert in KL by the American singer Erykah Badu because of a photo published of her where you can see she has “Allah” tattooed across her shoulders.
And black foreigners get harassed quite a lot by the police, to the point they don’t really like to go out. However, my Nigerian husband has several sets of traditional Nigerian clothing, and when he wears these he looks Muslim (evidently), and so does not get cops stopping him demanding to see his passport, and other people are friendlier and more polite as well.

Hi Baas Babelaas,

If your work/ career opportunity has higher priority than general living, Malaysia isn’t the ideal choice, especially when compared to Singapore. It is much, much easier for a foreigner to assimilate into Singapore’s society ; the little island is far more globalised and competent. Singapore has an ‘‘open- arms’’ policy towards foreigners too, good news for you, but it’s also something which causes much discomfort among local Singaporeans today. However, living standards in Singapore are unbelievably high and rival countries such as Switzerland and Hong Kong. You gotta land yourself a good job if you want to stay afloat in Singapore.

Anyway, if you are intent on finding a job in Malaysia, your best bet would be in Penang or Kuala Lumpur/ Petaling Jaya. Don’t bother with Johor Bahru and the others. As you may already know from the comments of the forum members above, Malaysia favours the ethnic Malays in politics, economics and society. Thus, avoid government owned universities as the chances of employment are significantly lower. There are many local private universities lead by Malaysians of Chinese or Indian descent; go for these universities, they’re your best bet.

As for general living, I agree that Malaysia is easily one of the best places for living on earth. I’m not trying to sound biased or anything but it is really true. Unfortunately, most of the locals here are blinded by xenocentrism and fail to see the real beauty of Malaysia. This is normal for third- world countries anyway, but Malaysians are some of the worst; the volume of Brain Drain here is staggering. Likewise, just make it clear to the locals that you’re a foreigner, and they’ll treat you extra nice. However, this only applies if you’re white or East Asian, because Malaysians think highly of Europe, America and Japan/ South Korea/ Taiwan/ Hong Kong/ Singapore. Black and brown foreigners are not very welcomed here due to a poor public image (I have nothing against them though). Despite being a predominantly Muslim country, Malaysia is far less restrictive and critical when it comes to things such as drinking, clubbing and whatnot. 99% of all Muslims in Malaysia are either Malays or South Indian. So long as you respect their ways and practices, you’ll have no problems with the local Muslims. Wearing conservative clothing is encouraged, but not compulsory, unlike in Iran and Saudi Arabia. The food is also among the world’s finest. Penang is the capital city of fine dining in Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi, Kota Kinabalu and Ipoh are great too. Travelling around Malaysia is easy and cheap, but only if you take the plane or drive manually from one place to another. AVOID public transport at all cost, they’re incompetent and expensive.

All in all you would probably enjoy it here in Malaysia. Hope all goes well for you my friend ! Cheers. :wink:

Thanks Aero7 for the information.

I’d like to do SOME (ie. part time) teaching and the IELTS examining, which is what I currently do. I am going to put in an application with BC Malaysia and see what they offer me. I’m looking to study a DELTA or MA TESOL and move out of teaching and into teacher training or school management.

I really feel the need for a change of country. And China’s not going anywhere, hopefully going to improve in the areas that are doing my head in of late…

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”]Thanks Aero7 for the information.

I’d like to do SOME (ie. part time) teaching and the IELTS examining, which is what I currently do. I am going to put in an application with BC Malaysia and see what they offer me. I’m looking to study a DELTA or MA TESOL and move out of teaching and into teacher training or school management.

I really feel the need for a change of country. And China’s not going anywhere, hopefully going to improve in the areas that are doing my head in of late…[/quote]

You are most welcomed. :wink:

Glad to hear ! It’s a wise and cautious approach, BC Malaysia will evaluate your options, but the ultimate choice/ decision still rests on your shoulders. I wish you the best of luck in your career ! :slight_smile: